Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Nicest engine for an Ultima GTR??
Alez

posted on 21/11/07 at 03:41 PM Reply With Quote
Nicest engine for an Ultima GTR??

A guy I know has a 600 bhp Chevy powered Ultima GTR, nicely finished and working fine. Recently, an opportunity came for him to buy a Ferrari F430 engine (400 bhp) which he did, with the intention to swap the engine.

I like this idea very very much, I think it will make his car a lot more enjoyable on the track and I think the Chevy power plant is too rough / rudimentary for the refined / race oriented GTR design. However, personally I don't like the fact that these engines haven't been designed to last lots.

I was wondering about other engines that would be:
-Around 400+ bhp
-More cost effective (in terms of servicing and repairing) and reliable, ideally with lots of them produced
-Reasonable weight and suitable configuration so that it can be adapted with a suitable transmision and so on

First thing that came to mind was the new M3 V8 engine. Then I thought about the E39 M5 V8 (I would guess heavier but less expensive than the former) and the E46 M3 L6 with mild tuning (actually this same guy used to race a Luccini which had a beefed up version of this engine, so I guess it can be adapted for the application.

I'm absolutely clueless about car design but I'd like to know what you think, not something I'm considering for myself unfortunately, just dreaming about nice cars

Thoughts?

Daimo_45

posted on 21/11/07 at 03:47 PM Reply With Quote
Porsche 997 turbo or GT2?
tks

posted on 21/11/07 at 03:48 PM Reply With Quote
isn't the M5 engine a high rpm V10 engine???

what kind of engine is in the S series of mercedes benz??

brabus does nice thing with the MB engines.

also maybe an V8 compressor out of an SLR etc. could be nice

Tks

The above comments are always meant to be from the above persons perspective.

mookaloid

posted on 21/11/07 at 03:53 PM Reply With Quote
Porsche 928?

"That thing you're thinking - it wont be that."

02GF74

posted on 21/11/07 at 03:53 PM Reply With Quote
BMW V12 ... but only 300 bhp LOL

http://www.lambolounge.com/chassis/Engine/BMW-V12/BMW.asp

or jag v12?

worX

posted on 21/11/07 at 03:59 PM Reply With Quote
BM M5 V10...

Steve

Syd Bridge

posted on 21/11/07 at 04:00 PM Reply With Quote
Ford Quad Cam Cobra.

It'll outlast 10 Ferrari engines, and a fraction of the cost to buy.

Paul TigerB6

posted on 21/11/07 at 04:07 PM Reply With Quote
Audi 4.2L V8 (as per the RS4 / R8 etc) - 414bhp @7800rpm.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/AUDI-A6-4-2-V8-ENGINE_W0QQitemZ120151271713QQihZ002QQcategoryZ10372QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQcmdZViewItem

Maybe even the Audi 5.2L V8 as per the S8 - 450bhp or so

tks

posted on 21/11/07 at 04:07 PM Reply With Quote
Just to add,

for an engine to be nice it needs a high rpm band. The wider the rpm choiche the better you can manage the throttle to maximise the speed in a corner...

Sow search for a high rpm engine wich also has high BHP. M5 V10 would be my bet i guess.

saying that its a difficult engine to install in another application. (lots of ellectronics)

dunno about that ferrari engine

Tks

The above comments are always meant to be from the above persons perspective.

Alez

posted on 21/11/07 at 04:16 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by tks
for an engine to be nice it needs a high rpm band. The wider the rpm choiche the better you can manage the throttle to maximise the speed in a corner...

Totally agreed, that's exactly what I meant when I said that I think "the Chevy power plant is too rough / rudimentary for the refined / race oriented GTR design".

Wow, quite a few ideas already!

ceebmoj

posted on 21/11/07 at 04:19 PM Reply With Quote
Hi did the ferari engin come with the gear box? if so one point of this combo is the f1 stile shift and megneto wheal??

having said all of that I guess if you can aford to play in this pool so form of hewland other magic gearbox options are avaloble to you in witch case I guess m5 v10 + what ever gear box is out there

twybrow

posted on 21/11/07 at 04:56 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Paul TigerB6
Audi 4.2L V8 (as per the RS4 / R8 etc) - 414bhp @7800rpm.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/AUDI-A6-4-2-V8-ENGINE_W0QQitemZ120151271713QQihZ002QQcategoryZ10372QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQcmdZViewItem

Maybe even the Audi 5.2L V8 as per the S8 - 450bhp or so

The engine you have pulled up on eBay is not the screaming 8000rpm monster, it is the older 335bhp engine - still a nice reliable engine, but not that much grunt (for an Ultima).

How about the use of turbos or a supercharger? Would that be desirable or not? Otherwise, something like the turbo RS6 engine?

Paul TigerB6

posted on 21/11/07 at 05:04 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by twybrow
The engine you have pulled up on eBay is not the screaming 8000rpm monster, it is the older 335bhp engine - still a nice reliable engine, but not that much grunt (for an Ultima).

Did think it seemed remarkably cheap!! Never mind!!

Still - my own personal choice would be a Chevy LS engine as used and sold by Gardner Douglas. http://www.lspower.co.uk/

ned

posted on 21/11/07 at 05:08 PM Reply With Quote
I would say a macca f1 nat asp v12 or a dodge v10 but what's the point when they can supply a small block or an LS cheve that makes the same if not more power and is already packaged to suit the car?!

Ned.

beware, I've got yellow skin

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
TimC

posted on 21/11/07 at 05:14 PM Reply With Quote
F*** messing about with that - sounds like chaos to me.

Stick to what Ultima knows.

twybrow

posted on 21/11/07 at 05:46 PM Reply With Quote
MAC f1 motor? where are you going to find one of those?

Mr Clive

posted on 21/11/07 at 06:12 PM Reply With Quote
Its built to take a chevy. I know it can take others but personally, I would go with chevy power all the way.

LS1/6/7 would be the way to go if you are worried about qualities of an earlier one

[Edited on 21/11/07 by Mr Clive]

Blakey_boy

posted on 21/11/07 at 06:15 PM Reply With Quote
I do believe that some DFV V8 F1 cossies are still in existence and can be bought. If you can get the transaxle to match would 1000 bhp + in full race form make it move any quicker?????

Gene Hunt:- If anything happens to that car, I'm coming round your house and stomping on your toys, Understand?

Wadders

posted on 21/11/07 at 07:01 PM Reply With Quote
It won't meet all your criteria, but these can be picked up for reasonable money, Description
Description

390hp as standard, easily upped by removing the emmisions stuff, i reckon 450hp with individual throttle bodies and an aftermarket ecu is easily achievable, dry sumped as standard, all alloy, shares the same block as an F430,revs well and sounds lovely.

Al.

Duncan_P

posted on 21/11/07 at 07:34 PM Reply With Quote
Im sorry but your all wrong

Nicest engine for an ultima without going too silly has to be the new 6.3 ltr n/a amg merc motor.

See here

Over 500bhp, high reving and sounds totally stunning. At the ring during the summer it was the nicest sounding thing there by far (including astons, lastest m3's/m5's, lambo etc)

Ok it might not be the most cost effective engine ;-) but hopefully should be fairly reliable.

speedyxjs

posted on 21/11/07 at 08:31 PM Reply With Quote
Jag v12
They are bullet proof, made of ally, esay 600 horse with a bit of playing and readily avaliable on the e of bay

How long can i resist the temptation to drop a V8 in?

Simon

posted on 21/11/07 at 09:34 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by speedyxjs
Jag v12
They are bullet proof, made of ally, esay 600 horse with a bit of playing and readily avaliable on the e of bay

Yeah, half a ton of ally. And we all know half a tonne is half a tonne - lead or feathers.

I can't see the reason for the question in the first place tbh. The Italian stuff will be nice when it comes in you new car but as soon as it's warranty starts expiring, I'd be desperate to get rid of it.

His Ultima is running fine, and it's got 600 horses - like I said, what's the problem.

He obviously has money to throw away, so tell him to sell current car and commission Ultima to build him a car around a different engine.

ATB

Simon

James

posted on 21/11/07 at 11:50 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by twybrow
MAC f1 motor? where are you going to find one of those?

Weeellll, I spose in theory you could still ask BMW to make one for you from the moulds!
They might still do it I spose... for enough reddies. God knows what you're meant to do if you own an F1 and throw a rod or summat... AFAIK Mclaren don't have any spares!

My Tae Kwon-Do instructor is currently having parts specially made by VW for his busted W12 Passat. They have to stop the production line for the job which is why he's had hire cars for 5 months now!

Cheers,
James

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The fight is won or lost far away from witnesses, behind the lines, in the gym and out there on the road, long before I dance under those lights." - Muhammad Ali

Volvorsport

posted on 21/11/07 at 11:51 PM Reply With Quote
volvo v8 from the s80/xc90 .

noble will be turboing them for their newest motor .

300bhp from 4.4litres in a trim to meet cali emissions upto 2009 .

yamaha designed , expect great things .

www.dbsmotorsport.co.uk
getting dirty under a bus

Fred W B

posted on 22/11/07 at 06:01 AM Reply With Quote
Leave the Ultima alone and talk him into building a P4 replica around the engine?

Look into bringing a RCR P4 kit from the states. $26,495 for the standard kit

RCR replicas

Cheers

Fred W B

[Edited on 22/11/07 by Fred W B]

You can do it quickly. You can do it cheap. You can do it right. – Pick any two.

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.