Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Getting into the trade
tegwin

posted on 4/2/08 at 10:18 PM Reply With Quote
Getting into the trade

I have often thought about getting into plumbing or sparky work, it doesnt seem like a bad job, gets you out and about, and seems to pay ok once you get yourself a good repuation...

However I think I would get quite bored of doing domestic repetative wiring...

Im really interested in system controls and have recently designed and built an inteligent control system for an eco friendly heating system....

Does anyone on here know how you go about getting into the sparky/systems engineering type work?

Any more information on the types of jobs out there?

im 20, didnt go to uni but have plenty of relevent experience etc...

Really looking for some inspiration...I dont think I can handle the IT job im in at the moment, the pay is good but its driving me nuts! I have always said that I want my job and hobby to be one and the same....I can but try

[Edited on 4/2/08 by tegwin]

blakep82

posted on 4/2/08 at 10:20 PM Reply With Quote
when you say you designed and built the control system for the heating system, did you completely design it yourself? if its something new which hasn't been done before could you patent it and sell the idea?

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

tegwin

posted on 4/2/08 at 10:35 PM Reply With Quote
Put it this way....I couldnt find a company to do it the way I wanted, so I just got on with it and did it myself...

It would be quite good to learn a bit more at a higher level and get the required qualifications to do things legally....but I suspect im too old for an apprentaship...

onzarob

posted on 4/2/08 at 10:42 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by tegwin
.but I suspect im too old for an apprentaship...

Your never to old to learn and 20 isn't old at all

Get a OU course or evening course in electronics with control systems.

I did a BTEC when i was young, but i now work as an IT consultant...I miss the electronics......

tegwin

posted on 4/2/08 at 10:48 PM Reply With Quote
Its funny...

I just started a job a month ago as an IT technician/network admin/web design....Its well paid for a 20 year old, but good god its boring!

I want a decent project to get my teeth into...

I did do A-levels in systems and control and got an A...I also did physics and got a C....

Its annoying because I know I could easily do any domestic electrical job (and from experince, better than the "proffesionals" who I pay)...but I dont have the little certificate that says im allowed to do so....

Is it just me or is choosing a career path harder than deciding if BEC or CEC is better

MkIndy7

posted on 4/2/08 at 11:14 PM Reply With Quote
If its Building management systems your interested in then have a look or a word with some of the bigger controls companies, they might be able to offer you something or guide you in the right direction.

There's lots of names in the industry.

Satchwell controls
Invensys
Siemens
Landis & gyr
Integral

to name a few of the bigger ones.

I'm a Building Services engineer (fixing the mechanical bits the electronics control) and as a bit of a tip the biggest problem we face is getting controls engineers to understand what were asking for.. they just tell you, or just fit the ideal system as they think it should run and ignore all your practical experience!.
But there is such a wide range of mechanical and electrical things they they control to understand exactly what they are and how they should work or operate together can't be an easy task.

There is always other avenues available career wise as well, as just about everythings computer or electronically controlled somewhere!, I think Invensys do Railway signals, then there's Cranes, lifts, production lines, industry, avionics etc lots of places you could probably go with it... i've bin considering branching into building management controls as well, now I understand the physical components they control.

jono_misfit

posted on 4/2/08 at 11:38 PM Reply With Quote
I started off as an electrical apprentice and got taken into the design office by the company. I worked designing control systems for water and waste water plants for a number of years. Was interesting and learnt a lot.

During my time i also racked up a number of HNC's (with your grades should get easy entry) part time (nights) whilst at work. This let me get qualifications to get an entry on a full time engineering degree.
Its worth the effort and stands you in good stead career wise.

It all comes down to if you'd like to design / specifiy the systems (Become an Engineer) or install the systems (installer / technician).

At 20 im pretty certain your still eligible to undertake an apprenticeship. If not i think you can do a partial access course that allows you to become a semi-skilled installer but you dont have the ability to sign off any work. I think you now have to do a full apprenticeship to become an approved spark.

Personally i'd start contacting a number of control companies and asking if they do a sort of design apprenticeship (a supprising amount do) or are interested in sponsoring you to do a college / uni course.

Practical experience should be manditory (i believe all engineers should have to do an apprenticeship) as many of the people out of university have no idea about practicallities.

Then again i also believe the term "Engineer" should be protected as per the term "Dr" and only apply to qualified (degree level) engineers.

tegwin

posted on 5/2/08 at 09:47 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks for that. Really usefull information...

I did actually do a year of a mechanical apprentaship with Rolls Royce in bristol but couldnt stand the attitude of the company...

Kinda annoying really, the challenge is in the design, the reward is in the building....Are there any jobs out there where you get to do both to some extent?

jono_misfit

posted on 5/2/08 at 10:47 AM Reply With Quote
Start your own company.

You can be the boss
You can be the designer
You can be the installer
You can be the tea boy
You can be the accountant

If your BMS system was good, theres no reason you cant install it yourself. You would just have to pay an electrical firm to assess the installation, confirm its ok and complies with the wiring regs, and full test it. You could try speaking to some local firms and see if their interested in a partnership?

If you work in R&D you can quite often get to design something, prototype it, and test it. It often depends on the company and a lot of ones i know tend to split the design and implementation roles.

Generally, the smaller the company the greater chance you have of multi rolling and getting involved in both sides. Big companies tend to be very bureaucratic.

[Edited on 5/2/08 by jono_misfit]

tegwin

posted on 5/2/08 at 11:32 AM Reply With Quote
quote:

Big companies tend to be very bureaucratic.

Uhhu...never a statment, more true, said! (rearange order to suit)

My own company, eventually would be good...maybe in a few years..

Coose

posted on 6/2/08 at 11:33 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jono_misfit
Start your own company.

You can be the boss
You can be the designer
You can be the installer
You can be the tea boy
You can be the accountant

If your BMS system was good, theres no reason you cant install it yourself. You would just have to pay an electrical firm to assess the installation, confirm its ok and complies with the wiring regs, and full test it. You could try speaking to some local firms and see if their interested in a partnership?

If you work in R&D you can quite often get to design something, prototype it, and test it. It often depends on the company and a lot of ones i know tend to split the design and implementation roles.

Generally, the smaller the company the greater chance you have of multi rolling and getting involved in both sides. Big companies tend to be very bureaucratic.

[Edited on 5/2/08 by jono_misfit]

More difficult than you'd think with BMS. You're not trying to convince an end-user that yours is the system to use - you need to be in with a consultant who will spec it on a job, which is easier said than done.....

Tegwin - you have U2U....

Spin 'er off Well...

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.