Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Which Kit???
focijohn

posted on 6/5/08 at 08:48 PM Reply With Quote
Which Kit???

Hi all,
Wasn't sure where to post this so hope its ok in here!

Hoping that the trip to Stoneleigh might clear some things up for me, all it did was make me bring another kit into the equation:
My short list of contenders are
1: Luego Velocity
2: Quantum Extreme (not so locost)
3: Raw Striker

Main problem being that i am only 19 and when i told the guy on the Luego stand he may of well curled up into a ball in the corner and started shaking especially after i asked if i could maybe have a test drive from the factory some day.

Any useful bits on why ppl chose what they did etc customer care, the way different cars handle (if you've driven them). What they're like to assemble etc. I've been out in the Striker and the Extreme as a passenger so know how quick they are and what they feel like to ride in but thats not the point of these cars is it?!
Theres only so much that you can gather from speaking to the reps because they all think that they're product is the best in the hall (understandable) but thats not what i need.

Cheers

John

[Edited on 6/5/08 by focijohn]

Anyone going slower than you is an idiot. Anyone going faster than you is a maniac.
Too many targets but too few bullets.

dave1888

posted on 6/5/08 at 08:52 PM Reply With Quote
Striker or fulcrum not the cheapest but well put together. Im sold on the Fulcrum so the tiger might have to go to fund the next build.

mookaloid

posted on 6/5/08 at 08:54 PM Reply With Quote
The thing you need to ask yourself what you want to use it for when its finished.

Until you know that you won't be able to work out which one suits your requirements best.

Cheers

Mark

"That thing you're thinking - it wont be that."

worX

posted on 6/5/08 at 08:56 PM Reply With Quote
Out of the three you've just listed I would choose the Striker for sure!

Although I would much rather have/build the Fulcrum!!!

Steve

focijohn

posted on 6/5/08 at 08:58 PM Reply With Quote
When will i use it? When ever i can to be short. The nice slow morning commute along the back lanes and weekend blats! Not too much through the winter but will defiantly have full weather gear just in case the mood takes me! Not too bothered about ride comfort which is why i havn't ruled out the raw!

[Edited on 6/5/08 by focijohn]

Anyone going slower than you is an idiot. Anyone going faster than you is a maniac.

David Jenkins

posted on 6/5/08 at 08:59 PM Reply With Quote
The Striker is a tremendous car - if I was building another car (hastily looks over shoulder to make sure SWMBO doesn't read that line) then one of those with a well-sorted 4-AGE engine would be close to the top of the list.

It is a tiny car though..

focijohn

posted on 6/5/08 at 09:01 PM Reply With Quote
The size was both the up and the down sides to it, and its half an hour from my house!
I agree the 4-AGE maybe with a supercharger would be an interesting ride.

Dragon-Performance-Eu

posted on 6/5/08 at 09:06 PM Reply With Quote
I would say the striker too.

for me if i was to build another 7 based car it would be either of the following
(in no order)

MNR RT+ (GSXR1000 turbo Bike engine )

RAW Striker (20 valve Toyota engine) shock horror not a bike engine

Westfield Megabusa (GSXR1000 turbo instead of the hayabusa 1300)

[Edited on 6-5-08 by Dragon-Performance-Eu]

coozer

posted on 6/5/08 at 09:18 PM Reply With Quote
I built a Striker many moons ago and it was a tremendous little car. Little....

Now it's an MNR. Fantastic bit of kit and now with an MX5 donor kit available.

I've spent less money building the MNR this last year than I did building the Striker... 15 years ago!!

Steve

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

BenB

posted on 6/5/08 at 09:31 PM Reply With Quote
How tall are you?

A striker is about the size of a 1p coin!!!
I can't even sit in the passenger seat of my bro's striker, let alone sit in the driver's seat where the pedals get in the way.....

I like the Extreme but IIRC it's not the lightest car on the scene- what engine are you going for?

For BEC I'd go Striker or Velocity...

zilspeed

posted on 6/5/08 at 09:40 PM Reply With Quote
How's about this for a Striker ZX9R showing some serious grip.

If I only thought I would fit in one.

Coose

posted on 6/5/08 at 09:53 PM Reply With Quote
Striker. Next question?

Spin 'er off Well...

Coose

posted on 6/5/08 at 09:53 PM Reply With Quote
p.s. Mel is a decent bloke to deal with too, so that always goes a long way!

Spin 'er off Well...

Paul TigerB6

posted on 6/5/08 at 11:01 PM Reply With Quote
Of the three you listed, as per the others the Striker wins time after time after time. Being local to you is a great help too - its nice to just be able to pop to the factory for help, advice, motivation, parts etc whenever you need and as per one of the other posts - Mel is a fantastic bloke to deal with.

As for being small - well that means they are light (spec for spec) and so fast. I do know Mel very well and have done for many years so have driven a few of his cars and all, no matter what seat fitted have been far more roomy than my Tiger S6. Unless you are a "big unit" i dont think size should come into it (fnarr) and you have obviously sat in one already. If you feel comfortable then get over to Hereford and place your order.

Only question in your mind should be................ do i prefer the Fulcrum.

bimbleuk

posted on 7/5/08 at 05:40 AM Reply With Quote
Just make sure Mel writes down anything you order as you speak as he'll get distracted and forget otherwise! They are a small company but popular so always busy. As a standard package the Striker is a good all round car and they don't need particularly extreme engines to go fast, due to the small size and low weight.

I'm fairly tall at 6'2" with long legs and big feet but fitted quite easily in the Drivers seat. Thay can always make some adjustments to suit such as moving the pedal pivot point like I did on mine.

Werner Van Loock

posted on 7/5/08 at 06:50 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BenB
How tall are you?

A striker is about the size of a 1p coin!!!
I can't even sit in the passenger seat of my bro's striker, let alone sit in the driver's seat where the pedals get in the way.....

I like the Extreme but IIRC it's not the lightest car on the scene- what engine are you going for?

For BEC I'd go Striker or Velocity...

Striker has a asymmetrical chassis, so the footwells have different lengths, the drivers footwell is longer then the passengers footwell. But it's still short, so 6'2" and up have a problem in it.

http://www.clubstylus.be

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
MikeRJ

posted on 7/5/08 at 12:57 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by worX
Although I would much rather have/build the Fulcrum!!!

I'm wondering if I saw the same car as you then! I thought the Fulcrum was easily one of the ugliest kits on display. It almost makes a Dutton look pretty with it's very high, bulging bonnet line, gaping grill apperture and nasty angular headlight covers. Judging from the comments I overheard it wasn't just me either.

procomp

posted on 7/5/08 at 01:23 PM Reply With Quote
Hi the Fulcrum body has also proved to be yet another full body that is slower down the straights compared to a sevesque type.

Cheers Matt

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
TimC

posted on 7/5/08 at 02:06 PM Reply With Quote
Striker for me, but watch the pennies. I went to see Mel, as apart from the LCD Hawke (LMAO), he's my nearest kit manufacturer.

I wanted a high-spec car and things start to get very expensive very quickly. Do you want lighweight bodywork or REALLY light bodywork? Lowered chassis? 13" Wheel Conversion? Rosejointed suspension? Yes please> Hoooooooow much?

I agree though, the Fulcrum is a minger!

marksilver

posted on 7/5/08 at 02:59 PM Reply With Quote
Hi John,

I had the same problem when i went down to stoneleigh. Thought i knew what i wanted until i had a look around and a chat. I was all for an Mk, Dax or Westfield until the weekend.

I was hunting for the MNR stand but couldnt find it.

Had to phone them on tuesday and spoke to a guy called Chris. He told me they dont advertise bacause they dont need to. Good sign straight away!! He was straight to the point and gave me all the info i needed. Sounded like a really professional set up and the engineering in the cars sounds first class.

As soon as i'm married, this is the manufacturer that i will place an order with.

Google MNR Vortx

Mark

focijohn

posted on 7/5/08 at 05:42 PM Reply With Quote
Thats a lot of replies since last nite thanx all, annoyingly i do fit in the striker the last time i sat in the drivers seat was too small but now for some annoying reason it fits like said glove, the only reason i sat in it was so that i could rule it out on not being able to fit in it . I agree Mel is a very good bloke to deal with, from what I've witnessed so far! I'm only going to be using the pinto out of the donor for now and then up grade a bit later when the bank balance says so maybe a 4-AGE. I'm defiantly going to try my best to get a ride in at least 2 of my favorite choices just so that i can feel the difference apart from the obvious.

David Jenkins

posted on 7/5/08 at 05:47 PM Reply With Quote
The nicest thing about the 4-AGE is that it's around 130BHP out of the box with plenty of scope for improvement, and it's a physically small engine (if you discount all the trimmings screwed to it).-

focijohn

posted on 7/5/08 at 06:11 PM Reply With Quote
just flicking through their price list and the 20v preped with TB's and mapped ECU looks temping although £2045

procomp

posted on 8/5/08 at 08:02 AM Reply With Quote
Hi the only trouble with the 4Age is that to get it on par with a slightly tweaked 1800 zetec it will cost twice as much as the zetec.

Cheers Matt

modena

posted on 14/5/08 at 09:21 AM Reply With Quote
Inaccurate information by forum poster

I would like to address specifically the comments made by user Procomp, which i feel are mis leading to those in the forum and wider community, specifically the post stating that the new Raw Fulcrum exhibited slower straight line speed. Unless this user is one Captain Gary goodyear or Mr Tim Grey i'd question where his evidence is from, these are the only two guys in the world able to comment. i would suggest he has to re address his post especially in view that both Gary and Tim stormed home class wins this weekend at Cadwell park. Gary in particular qualifying 2.08 seconds ahead of the field!! I think we should watch the race results roll in..please see the 750mc web site..
thanks Modena (750 mc fan) also both 16v & 20v toyota 1600 are performance bargains when you really look closely. one major difference is the Zetec always had economy in mind in its design, engine tuners and documentation inform you that the toyota was always a performance derived design.

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.