Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: F1 Pit Stop- What went wrong....
BenB

posted on 29/9/08 at 09:35 AM Reply With Quote
F1 Pit Stop- What went wrong....

It appears the Ferrari traffic light system is an automatic computerized system using one of these and a special edition of XP.

Description
Description

MikeCapon

posted on 29/9/08 at 09:44 AM Reply With Quote
PMSL................ Again
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
MikeCapon

posted on 29/9/08 at 09:49 AM Reply With Quote
Ferrari are already practicing pit stops with the prototype for the F2009

[img][/img]

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
jollygreengiant

posted on 29/9/08 at 10:17 AM Reply With Quote

Beware of the Goldfish in the tulip mines. The ONLY defence against them is smoking peanut butter sandwiches.

BenB

posted on 29/9/08 at 10:43 AM Reply With Quote
Apparantly Massa and Raikonnen have been learning to fly with the Italian Air Force

martyn_16v

posted on 29/9/08 at 10:50 AM Reply With Quote
Does anyone know how the Ferrari system is actually supposed to work? As far as I can tell it's controlled by the bloke with the fuel hose, but does that mean he's also supposed to be looking out for traffic (and everyone else being clear) whilst still doing what appears to be a tricky job in no time? Or is there a 'spotter' doing that and pressing another button? In which case, why not just give the spotter, ooh let's say a lollipop?

blakep82

posted on 29/9/08 at 10:56 AM Reply With Quote
as far as i understand. the wheel guys have a button easch, they press when they're done, the fuel guy has a button to press (or maybe release) when he's done (which, when he pulls on the hose and it doesn't come away, i assume he can easily lose contact with the button, and there is someone who has an over ride button, which i assume its ultimately up to them to check for cars coming.

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

David Jenkins

posted on 29/9/08 at 11:20 AM Reply With Quote
It looks like scratching around for an extra split second in the pits is getting too dangerous.

Maybe the FIA should ban the electronic systems and insist that everyone reverts to the man with a lollipop, who clears the car when all the wheelmen and fuel man lift a hand to say they're clear.

Or maybe all the racing should be done on the track, rather than in the pit lane...

Paul TigerB6

posted on 29/9/08 at 11:25 AM Reply With Quote
As i understand it, its like Blake says. Each of the 4 wheel men and the refueler have a button that needs to be pressed to change the traffic lights to green. I guess due to the standardised refueling rigs, they cant modify it to only give a green light upon release.

No idea what they do about safe release though - i guess there must be a 6th button for that controlled by someone else. Oh hang on, they clearly dont have a 6th button do they - proved that a couple of times now!!

omega 24 v6

posted on 29/9/08 at 11:34 AM Reply With Quote
My line of thinking is along thr lines of above. I also think that Massa has perhaps become "Italianised" Let me explain.

To the average Italian driver at traffic lights

Red means "You could go if you think you'll get away with it"

Amber means " A quick glance and off you go"

Greens means " I'm in the right and don't need to check at all so go go go"

If it looks wrong it probably is wrong.

iank

posted on 29/9/08 at 11:44 AM Reply With Quote
I'd suspect though don't know for certain that they are using a switch in the fuel filler to detect when it's been removed rather than having a button to press - simply because he needs both hands to pull it out.

Now my guess, having spoken to real f1 engineers in the past and heard the ways their brains work, that they may have grabbed an extra couple of dozen milliseconds by going green as it's 'almost' out rather than when it's fully removed.
That works fine if it doesn't jam at the very end of the pull as the drivers reaction time etc will be greater than the time to finish the removal and get out of the way.

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

chris_smith

posted on 29/9/08 at 11:55 AM Reply With Quote
What annoys me is that after the pit chaos (which endagered other drivers and crews) massa has a drive through penalty, kubica and others get a stop go penalty just for needing to pit due to running out of fuel while lane is closed so either try and get round till its open and risk running out like barrichello or take a penalty, again ferrari getting away with it while others suffer

chris

The secret of success is to know something nobody else knows."

Paul TigerB6

posted on 29/9/08 at 12:04 PM Reply With Quote
Cant really blame Ferrari for the dumb rules the FIA came up with though regarding penalties saying they only get a drivethrough.

An unsafe release though to me should incur the highest penalty possible as its so dangerous. If that car would have hit Massa yesterday it could have taken out half of the Williams pit crew that were right next to the incident.

Have a look at this. Sorry its sideways (NTDWM)

linky seeing as F1 has had most vids removed already

loggyboy

posted on 29/9/08 at 12:23 PM Reply With Quote
I think its high time they realised that refuleing is one of the main reasons why the sport is less exciting. Adding 'stategy' to what essentially should be a long 'sprint' race is never going to help a sport that is struggling to retain excitment from race to race as it is.

1 pit stop for tyres, making the pit crew part of the team in respect of it being down to the them to squeeze the tyre changes in under 4.5 secs like back in the early 90s. No 1/2/3 stop stategy for timing stops for when there is a break in traffic. No running race fuel for qually for top 10 qualifier, so no games to be played, if you qualify 1st, you WERE the fastest driver and car combo that day.

[Edited on 29/9/08 by loggyboy]

Mistral Motorsport

David Jenkins

posted on 29/9/08 at 12:36 PM Reply With Quote
Better video:

linky

DaveFJ

posted on 29/9/08 at 12:54 PM Reply With Quote
I think what you are all failing to realise is that Massa's release was in no way dangerous!.....

It was perfectly obvious to anyone in the pit lane that there was a RED car in the pits and therefore it is their duty to make allowances and pull over as neccessary so as not impede the exit of the Car of a Superior Colour......

Dave

"In Support of Help the Heroes" - Always

MautoK

posted on 29/9/08 at 01:02 PM Reply With Quote
'This video is no longer available due to a copyright claim by Formula One Management'

He's whittling on a piece of wood. I got a feeling that when he stops whittling, something's gonna happen. (OUATITW/Cheyenne)

BenB

posted on 29/9/08 at 01:13 PM Reply With Quote
Strange that they're cutting down on youtube footage when you can watch the whole thing on ITV catchup!!!!! LOL....
andyps

posted on 29/9/08 at 01:58 PM Reply With Quote
I don't understand the comment from Stefano Domenicali on Autosport.com:
quote:
originally reported in Autosport
Domenicali said, however, that the problem could also have happened with the lollipop.

"When you see a green light to go, that means that you have to go. It doesn't matter. The green was on because he had to go. If we didn't have the traffic light, we would have had the lollipop up. In that respect it didn't change the specific scenario that we have today."

This seems to imply that they were ready to release him even with the fuel line in place. Why? Or have I missed something?

In terms of the system, I think there is someone on the pit wall who has a button which prevents the green light coming on if there is a car coming making release unsafe. He needs to go to specsavers.

Andy

An expert is someone who knows more and more about less and less

andyps

posted on 29/9/08 at 01:59 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BenB
Strange that they're cutting down on youtube footage when you can watch the whole thing on ITV catchup!!!!! LOL....

But ITV pay Bernie for that, YouTube don't.

Andy

An expert is someone who knows more and more about less and less

iank

posted on 29/9/08 at 02:24 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by andyps
quote:
Originally posted by BenB

But ITV pay Bernie for that, YouTube don't.

And you can't add 'Only a red car would have got away with a drive through for that!!!' comments to the ITV site.

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

Paul TigerB6

posted on 29/9/08 at 02:37 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

In terms of the system, I think there is someone on the pit wall who has a button which prevents the green light coming on if there is a car coming making release unsafe. He needs to go to specsavers.

.........or get a job as a Premiership referee!!! He'd fit right in there!!!

blakep82

posted on 29/9/08 at 02:38 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

ha ha ha! i'd love to see that feature in the next specsavers ad

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

loggyboy

posted on 29/9/08 at 03:07 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
I don't understand the comment from Stefano Domenicali on Autosport.com:
quote:
originally reported in Autosport
Domenicali said, however, that the problem could also have happened with the lollipop.

"When you see a green light to go, that means that you have to go. It doesn't matter. The green was on because he had to go. If we didn't have the traffic light, we would have had the lollipop up. In that respect it didn't change the specific scenario that we have today."

This seems to imply that they were ready to release him even with the fuel line in place. Why? Or have I missed something?

Agreed, a lollypop man can see when the hose is off AND when the cars are coming. At that stage in the stop he is the most important man.

Mistral Motorsport

jollygreengiant

posted on 29/9/08 at 05:32 PM Reply With Quote
I agree that the penalty was far too light. In my view it was at least a double infraction.

1 Being released from the pit into on coming traffic (apparently using the Ferrari only second lane in the pits).

2 Driving off whilst trailing still attached fueling equipment.

Either of the above puts other pit personnel into danger, whilst both create extreme danger and therefore warrant a much higher penalty.

Oh sorry I forgot, the F(errarri) I(nternational) A(ssistance) card was played yet again.

Beware of the Goldfish in the tulip mines. The ONLY defence against them is smoking peanut butter sandwiches.

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.