Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: no hot water...
02GF74

posted on 28/10/08 at 10:54 AM Reply With Quote
no hot water...

looks like the gch has gone t%ts up.

when turned on, there is hot water circulating in the radiators but none in the hot water tank.

from what I undersand of the system, there is a electrical valve that diverts water either through the hw tank or to the radiators. I suspect the valve, that was replaced within the last 2 years is not working.

sound about right?

what can I do to verify it is the valve and say not the controller inside the boiler unit?

Peteff

posted on 28/10/08 at 10:57 AM Reply With Quote
The thermostatic valve near the tank operates independent of the boiler so if the radiators are getting heat it is not the boiler usually. Does the tank heating supply run from the same circuit as the radiators?

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

mookaloid

posted on 28/10/08 at 11:02 AM Reply With Quote
You have probably got a 3-way valve which is motorised. The motors go regularly. It is a 3-way connector with a box about 3" across usually situated near the HW cylinder. it has a lever on the side so you can operate it manually till you get it fixed.

Hope that helps

Cheers

Mark

"That thing you're thinking - it wont be that."

02GF74

posted on 28/10/08 at 11:06 AM Reply With Quote
I am not next to it but it from what I could tell & from memory, it sits on top of a pipe (inlet?) and has two pipes coming out of it, one is hot that goes somewhere mysterious (to the radiaotrs?) and other into the hot water tank.

I have to admit it looks cheaps and nasty compared to the one that the BG man replaced &? took with him. 2 yrs doesn't seem that long for it to go.

There is some sort of tab - lever - in a slot on the side but I did not want to force it.

I take it the whole lot taps into the water system so I would need to figure out how to shut off the water supply to prevent flodding?

Kev99

posted on 28/10/08 at 11:07 AM Reply With Quote
I would think its like this one here

02GF74

posted on 28/10/08 at 11:09 AM Reply With Quote
no, mine is blue

hmmm... looks like it taps into the water system....

will removing the plastic lid and poking around tell me anything? i.e. any way I can test the motor?

RickRick

posted on 28/10/08 at 11:12 AM Reply With Quote
i'm 90% sure it's just a motor, that drives a spindle that sticks out the top of the valve, so removing it won't lead to water all over the place i had about 4 of these replaced by british gas, lasting about 6 months each, till i managed to convince them to change the valve body, which was almost seized up. worked fine for 18 months before the heating was all replaced
adam1985

posted on 28/10/08 at 01:06 PM Reply With Quote
push the slide lever there will be a little resistance but that will be the spring if its really tough then the little flap inside has stuck if its the motor then just change the top if its the valve then need to drain down.
billynomates

posted on 28/10/08 at 03:53 PM Reply With Quote
If the synchronised motor is needing changing regularly, chances are the heating system is in need of cleaning. The motor attracts the iron particles in the water to the valve, which means the valve won't operate efficiently, hence the motor doesn't last long.
I would think you should get more than 2 years out of the motor.
Also, check your cylinder thermostat is working correctly. Could also be the cause of your problem.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.