Board logo

Exhaust, can anyone help ?
wylliezx9r - 18/5/11 at 08:51 PM

Hi everyone,

I'm at the point in my build where I need the exhaust manifold and system fabricated. My car is a haynes chassis with a zx9r engine fitted so there is not an off the shelf system that will fit.

My ideal solution would be that a fabricator could come to my place and do the work there. The reason being I will have to hire a trailer (nearest place 25 miles away, cost of £200) and then take the car to the nearest place. I realise that it is very unlikely to be someone in my area who would be able to do this or is there?

Another idea is that I could knock something up on CAD and maybe a fabricator could use this to create the system, i dont know if anybody does this?

So my question is where is the best place to take it/or any other ideas? I am located in Blackwood South Wales about 25 mins from Newport if anyone knows the area ?

Many Thanks

Ben_Copeland - 18/5/11 at 08:57 PM

How about talking to the nearest exhaust place that does stuff for kitcars and asking them to borrow a trailer? or if they can pick it up...

big_wasa - 18/5/11 at 08:59 PM

The person doing the work is going to have the same problem getting his tools to you.

mistergrumpy - 18/5/11 at 09:11 PM

FWIW MK supplied my ZX9 exhaust for my Locost. It was late in getting done, the primary lengths and spaces weren't fantastic and the phone calls weren't very helpful but the point is they did it without having to take my car down and I've been able to get away with the tolerances with a bit of gentle persuasion.

wylliezx9r - 18/5/11 at 09:16 PM

quote:
Originally posted by mistergrumpy
FWIW MK supplied my ZX9 exhaust for my Locost. It was late in getting done, the primary lengths and spaces weren't fantastic and the phone calls weren't very helpful but the point is they did it without having to take my car down and I've been able to get away with the tolerances with a bit of gentle persuasion.

How did you give them the data/measurements required to make the manifold or was it mainly guess work ?

Fred W B - 19/5/11 at 08:27 AM

Building an exhaust for an unknown car/engine combination without the car in front of you is going to very difficult. Even if you document it their is a chance it will not fit well. If you really can't move the car get hold of the flange and collecter, mock them into position on the car and then tack up a frame of sorts to keep them in the required relative position to each other. You could add a representation of the side rails if that is a factor. I.E make a Jig. Give that to the fabricator.

Cheers

Fred W B

[Edited on 19/5/11 by Fred W B]

907 - 19/5/11 at 01:29 PM

Here's a plan.

Buy a second hand trailer.
Take car and trailer to the exhaust fabricator.
Pick up car and trailer with new exhaust fitted.
Sell trailer for what you paid for it. (or even a profit if you buy wisely)

What can go wrong?

Paul G

mistergrumpy - 19/5/11 at 03:11 PM

wyllie, they already knew the dimensions etc.

40inches - 20/5/11 at 08:30 AM

I used the bike manifold with off the shelf stainless parts
Description
Description