Board logo

Has anyone figured out a proper Locost reverse for IVA yet?
eznfrank - 14/5/09 at 01:03 PM

There seems to have been relatively little discussion on here about how us BEC folk are going to deal with the reverse requirement for IVA??

Personally I have no real intention of going backwards and would prefer to do without which is why I'm loathed to spend £350+ on anything the various companies are offering.

So what are peoples thoughts? What is anyone else doing about it?

Or do I just pony up the dough and then sell it on again after?

MakeEverything - 14/5/09 at 01:11 PM

How about a starter motor on a toothed ring gear bolted to the sprocket? Shouldnt be too difficult.

nick205 - 14/5/09 at 01:19 PM

How about keeping a wooden pole behind your seat?

When you need to reverse you simply use the pole to "punt" yourself backwards. No need to even undo your harness. Should be easy what with you BEC boys being so low weight of course

eznfrank - 14/5/09 at 01:20 PM

Yeah I think that's what MK do - £350!!

My fabrication skills are poo though, I guess for a start do we know which starter motors would be right size, spin right way and be powerful enough?

eznfrank - 14/5/09 at 01:22 PM

quote:
Originally posted by nick205

When you need to reverse you simply use the pole to "punt" yourself backwards. No need to even undo your harness. Should be easy what with you BEC boys being so low weight of course

If it'd pass IVA I'd be more than happy to do that!!! How about a Fred Flintstone style trapdoor in the footwell.?

iank - 14/5/09 at 01:23 PM

MNR are releasing one according to totalkitcar
http://www.totalkitcar.com/news.php

Not cheap at £499 inc VAT but probably lighter and more reliable than a starter motor based solution.

Edit: Beware removing a reverse after IVA unless you're happy to declare it to the insurance companies and let them load the policy accordingly.

[Edited on 14/5/09 by iank]

blakep82 - 14/5/09 at 01:27 PM

define 'proper'

i'd say proper means an actual reverse gear like you'd get in a car gearox, so in that case, the quafi box is your option, otherwise starter motor with ring gear. been done many times by folk on here i think

eznfrank - 14/5/09 at 01:50 PM

quote:
Originally posted by blakep82
define 'proper'

i'd say proper means an actual reverse gear like you'd get in a car gearox, so in that case, the quafi box is your option, otherwise starter motor with ring gear. been done many times by folk on here i think

Yeah I guess my definition of "proper" is the absolute minimum to keep IVA man happy.

02GF74 - 14/5/09 at 02:01 PM

quote:

don't be so ridiculous. a wooden pole indeed.

gotta be a carbon fibre pole.

JekRankin - 14/5/09 at 02:08 PM

I'd also like to know which starter motors are most suitable. There is a thread with a few pictures of various installations, but haven't found much info on where to get the ring gear or how to wire it all up.

As far as I know, buying an Quaife or MNR box and selling it after IVA would mean having to change prop shafts too, unfortunately.

rb968 - 14/5/09 at 02:15 PM

I'm off to the scrapyard on Saturday to try and find a reasonably small and hopefully decent Bosch or equivalent starter to use. Have got a supplier of spur gears lined up so just need to find the right size starter and then match the gearing. Intend to sandwich it between the diff and prop as discussed on the other topic. I will try and post some more when I get a bit further on with it.
I agree that info and how to on the subject is limited at the moment on here. Certainly to me (no fabricator either) the MK setup looks easy enough to replicate without spending £350. Also sure the poster there said that didn't include welding mounting tubes on for the starter !

Rich

MikeCapon - 14/5/09 at 02:20 PM

Food for thought?

rev3
rev3

MakeEverything - 14/5/09 at 02:27 PM

quote:
Originally posted by MikeCapon
Food for thought?

rev3
rev3

Thats it. Thats what i was trying to describe.

MakeEverything - 14/5/09 at 02:29 PM

quote:
gotta be a carbon fibre pole.

Unless youre under overhead lines......

tegwin - 14/5/09 at 02:37 PM

I dont think the pole would pass radius tests

Richard Quinn - 14/5/09 at 02:47 PM

I quite like the pole behind the seat idea. Or even an estonion or lithuanian.

40inches - 14/5/09 at 02:53 PM

There are a lot of variables involved in fabricating an electric reverse, not least is using a starter motor that runs in the correct direction, if you don't want another forward gear
Then there is finding a starter with a gear pitch that can be replicated, some manufactures use some very strange pitch and pressure angles.
You then need a starter that is small enough to fit, but powerful enough to move the car and at least the driver.
So far I have found what I believe to be a suitable starter and have ordered a spur gear that will fit on the diff flange as per MK, also have just finished the drawings for a motor mount that can be either bolted, or welded on the chassis and is adjustable, so in theory it should fit most 7's.
All this lot should come together in about 2 weeks, so if you can wait I could put it all together with relays and wiring and try for a group buy, but I will definitely post a shopping list, if it all works

eznfrank - 14/5/09 at 02:56 PM

quote:
Originally posted by 40inches
There are a lot of variables involved in fabricating an electric reverse, not least is using a starter motor that runs in the correct direction, if you don't want another forward gear
Then there is finding a starter with a gear pitch that can be replicated, some manufactures use some very strange pitch and pressure angles.
You then need a starter that is small enough to fit, but powerful enough to move the car and at least the driver.
So far I have found what I believe to be a suitable starter and have ordered a spur gear that will fit on the diff flange as per MK, also have just finished the drawings for a motor mount that can be either bolted, or welded on the chassis and is adjustable, so in theory it should fit most 7's.
All this lot should come together in about 2 weeks, so if you can wait I could put it all together with relays and wiring and try for a group buy, but I will definitely post a shopping list, if it all works

If it all works OK, I'd be up for a group buy.

sickbag - 14/5/09 at 03:04 PM

quote:
Originally posted by MikeCapon
Food for thought?

rev3
rev3

Just out of curiousity - how close is the ring-gear to the ground?

mr henderson - 14/5/09 at 03:13 PM

quote:
Originally posted by iank
MNR are releasing one according to totalkitcar
http://www.totalkitcar.com/news.php

Not cheap at £499 inc VAT but probably lighter and more reliable than a starter motor based solution.

Edit: Beware removing a reverse after IVA unless you're happy to declare it to the insurance companies and let them load the policy accordingly.

[Edited on 14/5/09 by iank]

I can't think that it would be much lighter, not if it was well built, but would be absorbing some power all the time, whereas the electric solution only requires power when it is operating due to the gears only meshing when needed

John

CraigJ - 14/5/09 at 05:09 PM

What what be used to control the speed of the reverse? last thing i want to do is switch it on and end up smashing through my garage door lol.

matt_claydon - 14/5/09 at 08:21 PM

Brake pedal!

02GF74 - 15/5/09 at 07:09 AM

why electric?

has anyone considered hydraulic solution - e.g. using power steering pump as the driver or compressed air?

40inches - 15/5/09 at 10:20 AM

Far too complicated I think.
It would be difficult, if not impossible, to run a hydraulic pump from a bike engine, so an electric pump would be needed plus some form of hydraulic motor to turn prop shaft or a wheel, same with compressed air, then figure in the weight and complexity
In the end most of us don't actually want a reverse, we must have one for IVA, so the simplest/cheapest route is the best way, and if it turns out to be usable as well, that's a bonus

Hellfire - 15/5/09 at 11:29 AM

Sounds to me like there's a market here for a 'rent-a-reverse', in a similar way to the 'rent-a-cat' for IVA purposes.

I'm sure whoever designs and builds a simple one that could be easily transferred from vehicle to vehicle, would soon recoup their initial outlay and even make a few quid

Phil

40inches - 15/5/09 at 11:55 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Hellfire
Sounds to me like there's a market here for a 'rent-a-reverse', in a similar way to the 'rent-a-cat' for IVA purposes.

I'm sure whoever designs and builds a simple one that could be easily transferred from vehicle to vehicle, would soon recoup their initial outlay and even make a few quid

Phil

Would there be any consequences from removing reverse after IVA? Someone mentioned not being insured if you did this

Hellfire - 15/5/09 at 04:58 PM

quote:
Would there be any consequences from removing reverse after IVA? Someone mentioned not being insured if you did this

I wouldn't imagine that removing reverse after IVA would be an issue. Most BEC's don't have reverse and I'm not aware that insurance companies now state it must be a requirement.

Phil

tommyab - 17/5/09 at 10:21 AM

quote:

I'd be interested in a group buy as well. I was trying to figure out the gear myself, got the standard on gears which I can calc the teeth profiles from, but I cant find any info. on the profiles of starter motor teeth to use as the starting point.

Do you mind me asking what motor you are using and have you got the teeth profiles of it?

cheers.
Tom

40inches - 17/5/09 at 03:23 PM

I found the Golf Mk4 to be ok for size and power. As said, starter motor gear teeth are a bit on the strange side, so I found it easier to take a VAG ring gear to the gear manufactures and it came out as a 12DP. I was expecting a MOD pitch!
This won't be working and confirmed until I have the new spur gear back.

nick205 - 19/5/09 at 12:07 PM

Could you get enough torque/grip from a starter motor to work some kind of reverse with a rubber wheel against the prop/diff. i.e. mount a rubber tyred wheel of some sort on the starter motor shaft and then mount the motor next to/above the diff on some sort of pivot arrangement so the rubber wheel can be lowered against the difff flange (might meed some sort of mating rubber section on the diff flange) to provide the drive. If the motor pivoted the right way, the rotation of the wheel would pull itself against the diff flange.

Simple and cheap to make and operate (lever next to handbrake maybe) and no power loss when it's not in use.

rb968 - 20/5/09 at 03:19 PM

I picked up a Ford Fiesta 1.25 Zetec starter and sent that to HPC Gears yesterday. They have confirmed it is 12 DP and have quoted me £69 +VAT for a 131mm dia spur gear (10mm width).

Might be able to push the diameter a bit if you want to "expand" the tunnel sides but thats pretty close to the max space I see as available. Going to have a measure up tonight before I decide to order it.

Will keep you posted.

Rich

40inches - 20/5/09 at 03:46 PM

quote:
Originally posted by rb968
I picked up a Ford Fiesta 1.25 Zetec starter and sent that to HPC Gears yesterday. They have confirmed it is 12 DP and have quoted me £69 +VAT for a 131mm dia spur gear (10mm width).

Might be able to push the diameter a bit if you want to "expand" the tunnel sides but thats pretty close to the max space I see as available. Going to have a measure up tonight before I decide to order it.

Will keep you posted.

Rich

Are you able to machine the bores yourself? the price for a 60 tooth 12DP is £43, they charge £26 to skim the gear from it's standard 19mm width They also charge £17 for a bore up to 99mm and a further £35 for another bore over 100mm, all plus vat!

rb968 - 20/5/09 at 04:18 PM

I work for an engineering firm so opening the bore from 22mm standard and drilling the holes for the prop/diff bolt pattern is not a problem for me. Just can't cut spur gears!

You need a friendly machine shop to finish the job!

Rich

rb968 - 20/5/09 at 04:21 PM

Who is the chap on here with the water cutting machine. Can he help with the bore and holes?

Rich

rb968 - 20/5/09 at 10:03 PM

After , measuring up tonight i think ineed to up the gear dia to 6" which takes it about 5mm into the cabin either side of the tunnel. Will get anew quote. Anyone know what size gear MK supply?
Rich

40inches - 21/5/09 at 10:58 AM

quote:
After , measuring up tonight i think ineed to up the gear dia to 6" which takes it about 5mm into the cabin either side of the tunnel. Will get anew quote. Anyone know what size gear MK supply?
Rich

64 teeth, if 12DP, 5.5 inches

rb968 - 21/5/09 at 01:03 PM

New quote for 6.0" PCD (6.167" OD) is £78.97.

They forgot to change number of teeth but am assuming 66 based on your post.

Reason for going bigger is I have sent the starter away and am now worrying there is not enough room for it under the prop at the smaller size and that I will blow £100 on a gear and the starter fouls the prop! I don;t want to be working to mm clearances when its spinning at that rate :-0

Will have to reinforce the tunnel side and bow out those sections to cover the gear as per the MK version. Not great but hey needs must.

Rich

40inches - 21/5/09 at 02:11 PM

quote:
New quote for 6.0" PCD (6.167" OD) is £78.97.
Reason for going bigger is I have sent the starter away and am now worrying there is not enough room for it under the prop at the smaller size and that I will blow £100 on a gear and the starter fouls the prop! I don;t want to be working to mm clearances when its spinning at that rate :-0
Rich

You may have to modify top of starter as per drawing to stop prop fouling.
Check photos in this thread to see how MK have had to hack the starter for clearance.
http://locostbuilders.co.uk/viewthread.php?tid=110570

VAG starter
VAG starter

peteday_uk@btinternet.com - 21/5/09 at 07:11 PM

I noticed at Stoneleigh that MK are now mounting their starter motor from the top rails so they have no need to cut the floor.

They are using a VW starter motor.
 (was trying to insert an image, but don't know how).

Pete.

[Edited on 21/5/09 by peteday_uk@btinternet.com]

rb968 - 22/5/09 at 08:40 AM

I looked at that but the handbrake mechanism seemed to be in the way.

The photos of the MK setup were useful as you say they showed you would probably need to grid away the top part of the alloy housing. The Fiesta starter has a 4 mm approx lip which will need removing.

Rich

rb968 - 22/5/09 at 11:03 AM

Have ordered the bugger now so fingers crossed ! 72 teeth 6" PCD 12 DP.

Rich

40inches - 22/5/09 at 12:20 PM

Have you paid yet? went down to HPC yesterday to see if mine was ready, not started it yet apparently was on pro former invoice, however they forgot to send it to me, or even tell me No apology, just that they will do their best to get it out next week???? NOT impressed!

rb968 - 22/5/09 at 03:19 PM

Yep paid and the nice lady said up to 14 days.

Will wait and see ! Hope you get yours sorted.

Rich

Ninehigh - 22/5/09 at 08:18 PM

quote:

Why not cut a door into the floor and have a flintstones style reverse? Seeing as they're so light, and surely a hinge and a bolt is less weight than even a carbon fibre pole

tommyab - 27/5/09 at 07:14 PM

This might be a silly question but why does the gear need to be bored out to such an extent? Would a circular plate with teeth cut and holes drilled not do the job?

40inches - 28/5/09 at 12:37 PM

quote:
Originally posted by tommyab
This might be a silly question but why does the gear need to be bored out to such an extent? Would a circular plate with teeth cut and holes drilled not do the job?

The prop needs to be located firmly on the diff by a spigot, the large bore fits over the diff flange and the prop spigots into the small diameter bore.
Relying on the 4 bolts holding the prop to the diff flange don't think so! plus the gear needs to run true.
Picked mine up this morning, just finished drilling holes and chemically blacking it

tommyab - 28/5/09 at 06:25 PM

Hehe. Fair enough. I guess those bolts are quite small. Im not used to engineering stuff on such a small scale (offshore construction/installation is my day job).

Thats looking good. I am following you guys progress with much interest!

Cheers,
Tom

40inches - 11/6/09 at 09:40 AM

Brackets in place and adjusted.
Have put a video on YouTube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a0V0clui0BQ

peteday_uk@btinternet.com - 11/6/09 at 11:47 AM

I have just looked at the video. Looks good. I have to be honest and say in my own mind the reverse would be alot slower than that. Or is it simply a case of it not being connected to anything?

[Edited on 11/6/09 by peteday_uk@btinternet.com]

40inches - 11/6/09 at 12:23 PM

It's a lot slower at the wheels, perhaps walking pace, you have to factor in the diff ratio

peteday_uk@btinternet.com - 11/6/09 at 12:32 PM

me being stupid then........sorry

If you don't mind me asking. How much has it cost you in the end?

Pete.

40inches - 11/6/09 at 12:47 PM

All together around £320 so far, but that includes a new starter motor, one off gear, brackets, cable, switches and relay, I am negotiating for a group buy (min 5 off) that should come in at around £275 as a complete kit, but don't quote me just yet

Davg - 11/6/09 at 05:33 PM

40inches
Can you say what starter u are working with? I know it's a VDub - MK4 Golf / Polo, but what model? cheers thanks D

40inches - 11/6/09 at 08:22 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Davg
40inches
Can you say what starter u are working with? I know it's a VDub - MK4 Golf / Polo, but what model? cheers thanks D

9T 1.1KW GR M8 N
LRT00177

Cross Ref:
020911023F
020911023T

You can get them new on the Bay for around £100, they fit all these models, so are relatively easy to find;

AUDI A3 1.6 00-02

AUDI A3 1.6 98-00

AUDI A3 1.6 AT 98-01

AUDI A3 1.8 AT 98-03

AUDI A3 1.8 AT 98-01

AUDI A3 1.8 Turbo AT

AUDI A3 1.8 Turbo AT 00-03

AUDI A3 1.8 Turbo AT 98-00 9T

AUDI A3 1.8 Turbo AT 98- 9T

AUDI A3 1.8 Turbo AT 99-00 9T

AUDI A3 1.8 Turbo AT 98-03 9T

AUDI A3 1.8 Turbo Quattro AT 98-00

AUDI A3 1.9 TDI AT 00-03

SEAT Alhambra 1.8 Turbo AT 98-00

SEAT Alhambra 2.0 AC AT 98-00

SEAT Alhambra 2.0 AT 00-

SEAT Alhambra 2.0 AT 98-00

SEAT Cordoba 1.6 96-02

SEAT Cordoba 1.6 AC 96-02

SEAT Cordoba 1.8 96-02

SEAT Cordoba 1.8 AC 96-02

SEAT Cordoba 2.0i 95-96

SEAT Ibiza 1.6 99-02

SEAT Ibiza 1.6 00-02

SEAT Ibiza 1.6 99-00

SEAT Leon 1.4 99-00

SEAT Leon 1.4 16V 99-02

SEAT Leon 1.4 16V AC 99-02

SEAT Leon 1.4 16V AC 99-02

SEAT Leon 1.4 AC 99-00

SEAT Leon 1.6 99-04

SEAT Leon 1.6 16V 00-02

SEAT Leon 1.6 16V AC 00-02

SEAT Leon 1.8 20V AT 99-03

SEAT Leon 1.8 Turbo 00-01

SEAT Leon 1.8 Turbo 00-04

SEAT Toledo 1.6 99-

SEAT Toledo 1.6 98-

SEAT Toledo 1.6 98-02

SEAT Toledo 1.6 16V 00-02

SEAT Toledo 1.6 16V AC 00-02

SEAT Toledo 1.8 20V AT 98-03

SKODA Octavia 1.6 98-02

SKODA Octavia 1.8 Turbo 98-04

SKODA Octavia 1.8 Turbo 4x4 AT 00-04

SKODA Octavia 1.8 Turbo AT 00-04

SKODA Octavia 2.0 AT 99-02

VW VOLKSWAGEN Bora 1.6 01-05

VW VOLKSWAGEN Bora 1.6 02-03

VW VOLKSWAGEN Bora 1.6 98-01

VW VOLKSWAGEN Bora 1.6 98-05

VW VOLKSWAGEN Bora 1.8 Turbo 00-05

VW VOLKSWAGEN Bora 2.0 AT 98-05

VW VOLKSWAGEN Golf III 2.0 95-97

VW VOLKSWAGEN Golf IV 1.4 00-01

VW VOLKSWAGEN Golf IV 1.4 97-

VW VOLKSWAGEN Golf IV 1.4 99-00

VW VOLKSWAGEN Golf IV 1.4 AC 00-01

VW VOLKSWAGEN Golf IV 1.4 AC 98-

VW VOLKSWAGEN Golf IV 1.4 AC 99-00

VW VOLKSWAGEN Golf IV 1.6 97-

VW VOLKSWAGEN Golf IV 1.8 AT 97-98

VW VOLKSWAGEN Golf IV 2.0 AT 98-05

VW VOLKSWAGEN New Beetle 1.6 99-00

VW VOLKSWAGEN New Beetle 1.6 AT 00-05

VW VOLKSWAGEN New Beetle 1.8 98-01

VW VOLKSWAGEN New Beetle 1.8 99-04

VW VOLKSWAGEN New Beetle 2.0 AT 98-05

VW VOLKSWAGEN New Beetle 2.0 AT 98-01

VW VOLKSWAGEN Polo 1.6 95-97

VW VOLKSWAGEN Polo 1.6 95-97

VW VOLKSWAGEN Polo 1.6 AC 95-99

VW VOLKSWAGEN Polo 1.6 AC 95-97

VW VOLKSWAGEN Sharan 1.8 Turbo AT 98-00

VW VOLKSWAGEN Sharan 2.0 AC AT 98-00

VW VOLKSWAGEN Sharan 2.0 AT 00-

VW VOLKSWAGEN Sharan 2.0 AT 98-00

Davg - 11/6/09 at 11:44 PM

OOOh AR! that's a list an a half! Shouldn't be a prob there. Cheers for that

rb968 - 12/6/09 at 06:21 PM

Don't do what I've done and spent all day mounting a Fiesta 1.25 Zetec starter and making the brackets etc only to fire it up (worked perfectly) and guess what.....it ran the wrong effing way. Oh how my Dad and I laughed......threw my tools across the garage......locked up and came home.

Off to the scrappy for a VW starter and yes this time I will check it runs clockwise and not anticlockwise !!!! Felt like a Scrapheap Challenge moment.

Back to the beer.

Rich

JekRankin - 28/7/09 at 10:29 AM

Any updates on how your reverse is coming along 40inches?

tks - 31/7/09 at 05:49 PM

quote:
Don't do what I've done and spent all day mounting a Fiesta 1.25 Zetec starter and making the brackets etc only to fire it up (worked perfectly) and guess what.....it ran the wrong effing way. Oh how my Dad and I laughed......threw my tools across the garage......locked up and came home.

Off to the scrappy for a VW starter and yes this time I will check it runs clockwise and not anticlockwise !!!! Felt like a Scrapheap Challenge moment.

Back to the beer.

Rich

open it up and swith around the polarity will do the job i guess.

Anyway my reverse starter installation failed. I had a ring gear with nearly 70teeth!
thats because you need some serious power to move a car.

so i had 1:7 with the starter and 3.92 on the diff.

anyway the problem which i had was that the small gear wont disengage while driveing backwards slowly...

i identified the reason for this because it will only go back in when the speed of the motor is slower as the reverse speed of the car... so when you go backwards and come to a stop it will be engage. if you would offpower it just before the stop it might work.

I had it speed controlled with a home build controller. but it burned out and i didn't wanted the weight anymore (after sva).

Tonto1 - 13/12/09 at 05:18 PM

quote:

9T 1.1KW GR M8 N
LRT00177

Cross Ref:
020911023F
020911023T

You can get them new on the Bay for around £100, they fit all these models, so are relatively easy to find;

Would someone happen to know the gear size/spec on these starters. I have measured out the size of the cog i need to fit to my driveshaft and am ready to get a local machine shop to make me one, just need to know what kind of gear to actually cut.

Rogthebandit - 13/4/11 at 06:56 PM

Hi

does anyone know the spec of the gear as supplied by MK? ie is it compatable with the list of starter motor shown on here?

cheers
Rog