Board logo

Any fans of crackle \ wrinkle paint?
bi22le - 23/3/14 at 09:54 PM

I quite like the look. IT gives it quite a uniform simple look and alos stock.

My wife (who is a very clever engineer) says it looks like I am trying to replicate bad casting!!

What do you guys think?

wrinkle paint inlet
wrinkle paint inlet

wrinkle paint close
wrinkle paint close

sdh2903 - 23/3/14 at 09:57 PM

I think I agree with the mrs.

Smooth satin would look better IMO

SteveRST - 23/3/14 at 10:02 PM

I like it, though I do agree that it could look like the paint has just reacted to something - not to everyones taste. I've just crinkle painted a few things - not yet fitted them to the car.

Inlet Manifold
Ground off the 'EFI' text that was cast in to the top of it ('Electronic Fuel Injection' - worth boasting about in the 90's it seems ) and ground off some of the casting marks/seams.

Then 3 coats of VHT Wrinkle finish black paint - have to put this stuff on pretty thick.

Throttle Body
Before...

After... more VHT Wrinkle paint.

Crossover Induction Pipe
This is the pipe that crosses over above the cam cover, connecting to the throttle body.
Before...

After... yet more VHT Wrinkle paint.

steve

Wadders - 23/3/14 at 10:07 PM

I like it, and so do certain Italians

FazerBob - 23/3/14 at 10:23 PM

I love it. Used it several times to good effect on cam covers etc.

The Black Flash - 23/3/14 at 10:37 PM

I like it
Used it on my cam covers, and also on a few other bits like the steering column shroud. It's also tough as all hell once you've baked it.

MikeRJ - 23/3/14 at 10:43 PM

I like it, it's a very classic finish. However, it doesn't tend to last too well on alloy engine parts IME, even Honda couldn't get it to stick to their cam covers for very long.

splitrivet - 23/3/14 at 10:45 PM

I Think it looks super cool, didnt know they still sold it, the last time I saw it was about 40 years ago.
Cheers,
Bob

Mr C - 23/3/14 at 11:44 PM

Big fan of it as long as its not overdone, a mate of mine uses it when restoring classics, which got me into it. One of my latest efforts below..

ReMan - 24/3/14 at 08:20 AM

I like it, but I'm not a big policing fan.
Just don't overdo it

FASTdan - 24/3/14 at 09:25 AM

I've just dropped various bits off with the powder coaters from my XR2 engine (inc rocker cover) for this finish doing. Hope it turns out ok!

Steve ads - 10/5/14 at 08:32 PM

Was going to say it made things look cheap and tacky but there's some nice examples of its use in some of the pictures on here so I guess it depends on the part / parts and how much you use

coyoteboy - 10/5/14 at 10:22 PM

I'm a fan. Plain old gloss looks horrible, chrome looks tacky, the only other finishes I'd have are are raw ti or stainless.

crackle
crackle

[Edited on 10/5/14 by coyoteboy]

scudderfish - 11/5/14 at 07:22 AM

What engine is that?

coyoteboy - 11/5/14 at 12:18 PM

Audi ABZ (4.2 32v V8, all alu)