Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Engine Rebuild Advice - Novice Builder
Visco

posted on 6/8/02 at 07:40 AM Reply With Quote
Engine Rebuild Advice - Novice Builder

I'm just completing the rebuild on the bottom end of my 1300 X-flow. I'm using the "Bible" of the Haynes manual.
I've installed the crankshaft, camshaft, followers and pistons. What I'd like some help with is determining if the pistons and rings are a good fit?
The pistons and the rings are +o.060thou as the engine have been rebored +0.060thou and all are in very good clean condition.
With everything in place and a liberal coating of oil I find it quite hard to turn over the engine by hand from the sprocket at the front of the engine on the camshaft.
Is this normal and is there any way that I can confirm if the fit is good ??
Thanks

David Jenkins

posted on 6/8/02 at 07:54 AM Reply With Quote
A 2-part answer:

1. It is hard to turn over a newly rebuilt engine - wait until you try to start it! Make sure you have a frshly charged battery. I have to use a length of wood between 2 bolts to turn mine - there's no way you'll turn it without a lever.

With my engine a firm push was required to push each piston up and down the bores - but they did move smoothly. Multiply that by 4, then try turning the crank by itself and add that to the equation. It all adds up to a lot of resistance.

2. Did you gap the rings? This is done by putting the rings in the bore, using the piston top to make sure they're square, then using feeler guages to make sure there's a specified gap. You can't do this with some rings, by the way, as they're designed to overlap. The book should have mentioned this.

Just a few thoughts...

David

Visco

posted on 6/8/02 at 03:15 PM Reply With Quote
David
Thanks for the note............I think that I was looking for some reassurance more than anything as being new your not sure if it should be stiff as a board or like a hot knife through butter !!
How you've describe your engine is the same as my feels which I'll take as a good sign.

I did gap the top 2 compression rings and but found the oil one difficult with it being made up of the 2 rings and the centre section

JohnFol

posted on 7/8/02 at 07:47 AM Reply With Quote
I presume everything was lubed up when you assembled. .

Are you trying to turn it with the spark plugs in? I'd suggest taking them out to get it turning and getting the oil round.

I have rebuilt several engines and always had a "fire first time" (apart from the Cav where a rocker came loose during assembly and .. .)

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.