Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Pinto stupid question number 1
Mark Allanson

posted on 24/7/04 at 05:06 PM Reply With Quote
Pinto stupid question number 1

What do these do? I have turned over my engine on the starter to prime it up and I can get nothing upto the head (spray rail removed, and looking at the supply hole). I am hoping one of these mystery bolts is a priming hole for the oil pump. Can anyone confirm or deny?

Thanks
Mark Rescued attachment Stupid Question 2.jpg
Rescued attachment Stupid Question 2.jpg

If you can keep you head, whilst all others around you are losing theirs, you are not fully aware of the situation

rusty nuts

posted on 24/7/04 at 05:34 PM Reply With Quote
Think you will find the top bung is for draining the coolant from the block , not sure about the lower bung, may be worth removing the oil filter and l.t lead from coil and cranking the engine over until oil comes from filter housing, then refit filter and cranking again until oil light goes out. Rusty
theconrodkid

posted on 24/7/04 at 06:20 PM Reply With Quote
yup first is drain,second looks like turdo oil return

who cares who wins
pass the pork pies

cosworth

posted on 24/7/04 at 07:54 PM Reply With Quote
lower plug is just a feed into the sump used for oil returns from oil separators on competition cars
Mark Allanson

posted on 24/7/04 at 07:58 PM Reply With Quote
Any ideas on how to prime the pump without taking off the sump. I am thinking of using an oil gun into the spray rail orrafice to inject stp/oil mix.

Or an I expecting too much of the starter motor speeds (plugs out, injection manifold not fitted yet) to get enough pressure to reach the head

If you can keep you head, whilst all others around you are losing theirs, you are not fully aware of the situation

jacko

posted on 24/7/04 at 08:40 PM Reply With Quote
priming oil pumps on pinto's

In the book 'how to power tune ford sohc pinto engines it advises builders to use an old distributor stripped down to the shaft and use an electric drill to spin the shaft and turn the oil pump. This primes the engine with oil. Hope this helps solve your problem Jacko.
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Mark Allanson

posted on 25/7/04 at 09:37 AM Reply With Quote
Sound idea, now to get an old pinto dizzy

jollygreengiant

posted on 25/7/04 at 04:39 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jacko
In the book 'how to power tune ford sohc pinto engines it advises builders to use an old distributor stripped down to the shaft and use an electric drill to spin the shaft and turn the oil pump. This primes the engine with oil. Hope this helps solve your problem Jacko.

To use this option you will need to make sure that the Cam belt is REMOVED first.

Hope this helps.

Enjoy.

Beware of the Goldfish in the tulip mines. The ONLY defence against them is smoking peanut butter sandwiches.

jacko

posted on 25/7/04 at 07:03 PM Reply With Quote
dizzy drive

Mark if you use a old dizzy to drive the oil pump remove the cog that would normally drive the dizzy jacko
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
macspeedy

posted on 25/7/04 at 08:04 PM Reply With Quote
the drive is a small square shaft sitting in the top of the oil pump you can use a screwdriver hex end the one for all the srewdriver tips you have either in a srew driver or in a hand held electric drill, works a treat, turn clockwise

[Edited on 25/7/04 by macspeedy]

Mark Allanson

posted on 25/7/04 at 08:18 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by macspeedy
the drive is a small square shaft sitting in the top of the oil pump you can use a screwdriver hex end the one for all the srewdriver tips you have either in a srew driver or in a hand held electric drill, works a treat, turn clockwise

[Edited on 25/7/04 by macspeedy]

Sounds even better, I have just finished setting up the cam etc, and did not want to disturb it all again Rescued attachment Engine Overhead.jpg
Rescued attachment Engine Overhead.jpg

ady8077

posted on 25/7/04 at 08:57 PM Reply With Quote
Hi Mark

Just looking at your picture ( engine looks great )

You did have a dizzy fitted when you tried to get oil pressure didn't you?

Adrian

Mark Allanson

posted on 25/7/04 at 09:07 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ady8077
Hi Mark

Just looking at your picture ( engine looks great )

You did have a dizzy fitted when you tried to get oil pressure didn't you?

Adrian

The mist of ignorance has just cleared, no I didn't have the dizzy fitted. I didnt realise that the auxilliary shaft drives the oil pump VIA the dizzy shaft. WHAT A PILLOCK

MikeRJ

posted on 25/7/04 at 09:22 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mark AllansonWHAT A PILLOCK

I'm sure we've all been there one way or the other!

Interesting injection system though! Is that a set of throttle bodies or a modifed twin DCOE manifold? If the latter, how did you mount the injectors?

Mark Allanson

posted on 25/7/04 at 09:29 PM Reply With Quote
Try this Mike

MikeRJ

posted on 25/7/04 at 09:52 PM Reply With Quote
Cheers Mark.

I'd seen the RH article before, but it looked a bit rough and ready with original plenum mounted at 90 degrees and the small patches blocking off the original holes. You've made a very neat job of that!

Mark Allanson

posted on 25/7/04 at 09:57 PM Reply With Quote
I saw the RH jobbie before I did mine - it looked a total bodge so I did my own, he was charging about £25 for the plans and the little patches - cheeky b@gger

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.