Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Pinto e-max inlet port size
po79

posted on 29/10/20 at 05:54 PM Reply With Quote
Pinto e-max inlet port size

Hi all,
Trying to buy some pinto stuff off a guy but due to being in lockdown I can't view the parts.
Struggling to find out if a head he has is a normal 1.6 pinto head or the emax head with narrow ports.

I've had an emax years ago but can't think how I can get someone else to establish the type of head he has.

Anyone think of a definitive way I can get him to establish what he has or anyone got the port sizes of the standard and emax head to compare.

Thanks

Po.

Mr Whippy

posted on 30/10/20 at 01:06 AM Reply With Quote
From the web:

At the beginning of 1984, Ford Pinto engine displacement range switched from 1.3/1.6/2.0 to 1.6/1.8/2.0. The newly introduced 1.8 L engine used the 2.0 L crankshaft, so to uniform engine parts for the whole range after dropping the 1.3 L — the 1.6 L was redesigned to also take the 2.0 L crankshaft which had a 76.2 mm (3.00 in) stroke. This of course led to bringing the bore down to 81.0 mm (3.19 in) to keep the displacement within range — it was now 1598 cc. The TL16E became now the only available 1.6 L engine of the Pinto range. Although the compression ratio was raised to 9.5:1, the power figures did not differ much from the earlier TL16H version — the engine developed 56 kW (75 hp) of power and 123 N·m (91 ft·lbf) of torque. This engine is sometimes referred to as 1.6 E-Max engine.

You should be able to identify the age of your engine from the engine number. If it's after 1984 it's an e-max one. Also there is a date cast into the top of the head next to the head bolts in case it's had a replacement head.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
po79

posted on 30/10/20 at 10:20 AM Reply With Quote
Yes but how many times have engines had head swaps?
He doesn't know the engines history, photos are not clear so the only way without me physically going to look at it ( I'm in lockdown plus it's too far to just pop over) is to know the emax port size to compare with his head.
Thanks,
Po.

[Edited on 30/10/20 by po79]

Mr Whippy

posted on 30/10/20 at 12:34 PM Reply With Quote
Maybe but I'd argue that whipping off the rocker cover and looking at the manufacturing year is easier and more accurate than measuring the ports. You can see on mine, it's cast into the top of the head and easy to see. It's between the inlet ports of 1 & 2.

[Edited on 30/10/20 by Mr Whippy]

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Mr Whippy

posted on 30/10/20 at 04:06 PM Reply With Quote
My engines inlet ports are slight ellipses 38mm x 40mm, note they are cast into the head not machined so vary slightly. I don't know if they were enlarged over the years but my head has not had any porting or machining done. Hope that helps
po79

posted on 30/10/20 at 04:21 PM Reply With Quote
Mr Whippy,
I'm foolishly miss read your first reply and not sure how I did.
I wasn't aware the date was cast into the head so that is a new one on me and a great help to!
That info should be the easiest way (as you rightly say) to establish what head out is.
Thank you and truly sorry,
Poe.

Mr Whippy

posted on 30/10/20 at 07:28 PM Reply With Quote
Happy to help
dyno

posted on 2/11/20 at 07:44 PM Reply With Quote
I don't know exactly how big the E-max ports are but once in the cylinder head (not just at the flange) the 1600 and 2 ltr "old version" heads are approx 37mm. The E-max is a LOT smaller. It's a huge difference and they are also not round inside. The last one already tell you it's E-max or not.

If you can send a picture of the inlet port I can see it from miles ahead.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.