Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Any Aj30 / Duratec30 rebuild resources and info pls
andygtt

posted on 22/12/21 at 01:13 PM Reply With Quote
the first nobles ran the standard ford ST200/ST220 sump... but there were failures especially on track and the factory came out with an upgrade called the 'Track day sump' lol

Most nobles now run the TDS, as did I, but when i fitted the motel ECU it because clear to me and another friend (who had the same ecu) that there was an issue in a specific type of long sweeping corner where oil pressure dropped a little under throttle so my friend developed a bolt in trap door arrangement that solved the issue completely.

The noble TDS holds just under 10 litres of oil and is just a modified ST220 ford sump with extra sheet metal welded to make it big wing... the new trap doors are litteraly 4 hinged rectangles around the pickup (which is extended around 1inch longer) to reach the bottom of the larger sump.

Andy

please redefine your limits.

MootchA

posted on 22/12/21 at 02:03 PM Reply With Quote
Ahh OK, I have seen the tds, strange looking affair, 10 litres is a hell of an additional amount, I will try and modify my existing sump to suit my proposed application, rallying, no different from track day really, new tig for Xmas I think !!, the noble forums are a mine of information.
sdh2903

posted on 22/12/21 at 04:18 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by andygtt
There are a lot of good new parts around for the AJ30 engine, you just need to keep you eyes open... just last week i sold a pair of brand new complete heads along with new chains new forged rods, new pistons and rings etc etc along with a second hand block and crank (complete engine basically mostly new) for just over £1k.

Bloody hell I wish I'd seen that lot for sale before rebuilding mine

RWD Focus

posted on 22/12/21 at 08:50 PM Reply With Quote
I went to a dry sump set up on mine after issues with getting sumps to clear my crossmember and also concerns about oil surge etc. Mines also in a rally car
Oddified

posted on 22/12/21 at 09:30 PM Reply With Quote
On mine, i used the standard size st220 sump and made some gated baffles around pick up to stop surge (my engine is longitudinal unlike the Noble though so probably a bit less likely to have an issue).

As for oil jets, i used bmw valved jets which don't open below around 25 - 30psi and they're drilled/fitted at an angle. I didn't like the idea of a simple hole/oil bleed like the Noble used. I've seen people use mig welding tips as jets, but it's still just an oil pressure leak at idle.

MootchA

posted on 22/12/21 at 10:56 PM Reply With Quote
Ian,
Any chance of a picture of your gated sections

Oddified

posted on 24/12/21 at 09:27 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MootchA
Ian,

I didn't take any pictures sorry, but basically it was a box with hinged flaps around the pickup, welded underneath the tin splash plate screwed into the sump.

andygtt

posted on 29/12/21 at 12:45 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Oddified
quote:
Originally posted by MootchA
Ian,

I didn't take any pictures sorry, but basically it was a box with hinged flaps around the pickup, welded underneath the tin splash plate screwed into the sump.

Which is exactly what the noble one is like

Andy

please redefine your limits.

MootchA

posted on 29/12/21 at 02:03 PM Reply With Quote
I have found a firm called g15 engineering, they make baffled gated sumps for cossies etc, I have been in touch with them but they won't sell me the lower gated box separately, so I will buy an rs 2000 one and modify it to fit, they look good quality so might be of interest to someone else.
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.