Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: MX5 NC gearbox mount
trevw

posted on 11/7/22 at 02:28 PM Reply With Quote
MX5 NC gearbox mount

Hi,

I'm curious about how people that use it have mounted the MX5 Mk3/NC gearbox to their chassis? I'm switching from a type 9 as I'm going from pinto->duratec.

It seems to fit between the chassis rails pretty well which was concern No.1 It's definitely a lighter gearbox than the 9 when lugging them both about (though I believe you can get ally bellhousings to help with the weight of the type 9).

It looks like I'm going to have to remove the cross piece closest to the gear lever and shift it back about 3-4 inches as the gearbox is too high/slightly too far back in the picture below..

The only alternative I can see is to chop off the undercarriage section of the box itself that comes down underneath the gearbox that has the two mounting bolts on the bottom (it looks like it is there just for something strong to have the bolts on?). I could then use the brackets/bolt holes to the sides where the prop shaft goes in to mount to the chassis.. I think the MX5 uses the gearbox structurally in some way (hence the massive bolts on the bottom and side) which obviously won't be the case here.. has anyone taken an angle grinder to this bit of an MX5 box? I know people (and caterham) get rid of the side bolts

I'm guessing the Caterham uses those two bottom bolts as the main mount with this bracket

https://caterhamparts.co .uk/mounts/5439-gearbox-mount-5-speed-mazada-gearbox.html?search_query=mx5+mount&results=162

Any thoughts/experiences out there?

[Edited on 11/7/22 by trevw]

big_wasa

posted on 11/7/22 at 07:15 PM Reply With Quote
I would have a look at retroford and Mk. As far as I know the back four holes are for a vibration damper and are not upto the load of mounting it.
It wouldn’t fit easily in an early classic Mk Indy.

big_wasa

posted on 11/7/22 at 07:53 PM Reply With Quote

trevw

posted on 12/7/22 at 04:58 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks! Retroford was a good shout, they've got a pdf and it looks like they do use the brackets at the end..

https://www.retroford.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2020/01/MX5 -Gearbox-Technical-Guide.pdf

Another forum suggested Vitesse and it looks like they do the same:
https://www.vitesse-ltd.com/products/mgb-5-speed-mazda-gearbox-conversion-kit-5-bearing-engine-vitmgb258?variant=21481998647379

big_wasa

posted on 12/7/22 at 05:17 PM Reply With Quote
I never got as far as looking at mounting it

[Edited on 12/7/22 by big_wasa]

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.