Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Mounting engine- height
James

posted on 3/1/03 at 07:16 PM Reply With Quote
Mounting engine- height

Only took me untill the 3rd Jan to put up a question. Oh well, start the year as you mean to go on...

I'm finally getting around to making the engine mounts. But I wonder how far below the bottom chassis rails I can get away with the sump being? I've currently got it sitting 2" below but this is no where near enough for me to mount the gearbox where I'd planned. I'd prefer 3"-4" but would I be right in thinking that I'll be asking for a hole in the sump if I go that low?

Happy New Year!!!

Cheers,

James

[Edited on 3/1/03 by James]

Viper

posted on 3/1/03 at 07:33 PM Reply With Quote
Are you using a standard sump? on a pinto its a good idea to either use a mk2 RS2000 sump or chop the steel sump basicaly the bottom of the sump is level with the gearbox. so sit the engine to low and you smash the box as well

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
James

posted on 3/1/03 at 07:44 PM Reply With Quote
I'll get round to chopping it soon probably and I guess that'll gain me .75 of an inch or so.

The reason I've done the two inches is because I seem to remember other posts saying that was correct but this connection is too slow to hunt around for them!

Can I get away with having it lower if I fit a plate under the sump to shield it a bit?

Cheers,

James

Viper

posted on 3/1/03 at 07:54 PM Reply With Quote
well its up to you.
i saw a mini hit a raised manhole cover, it took a chunk out of the sump, it went about a hundred yards at full chat before it destroyed itself in a most spectacular fashion.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
locodude

posted on 3/1/03 at 08:02 PM Reply With Quote
Hi James
I wouldn't have less than 3" clearance between sump and road on a road car. The usual rule of thumb is 1" lower than the chassis rail.

stephen_gusterson

posted on 3/1/03 at 08:24 PM Reply With Quote
check the speed bumps in your area. the suspension will compress as you hit em and drive the front even lower. Have a few spare radiators ready.....

atb

steve

James

posted on 3/1/03 at 09:35 PM Reply With Quote
OK Already!!!

Damn the Pinto for being so tall!

So 1" below gives 3" of ground clearance does it? Blimey that doesn't seem like much!

Guess 1" it is then!

Cheers for the advice guys!

James

Deckman001

posted on 3/1/03 at 11:37 PM Reply With Quote
Maybe a bit expensive, but have you thought of dry sumping it ?

See ya Sunday ?

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.