Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Skimming flywheels
David Jenkins

posted on 11/4/02 at 10:39 AM Reply With Quote
Skimming flywheels

How difficult is skimming the clutch area of a crossflow flywheel?

I have a big lathe (Colchester Student) with power feeds, so 'we have the technology'. I also have a couple of dial gauges to help with setup and to check results.

There are really 3 parts to this question:

1. how do I get the dowels out?
2. What sort of finish is acceptable?
3. Do I machine right across the face, or only the bit the driven plate meets?

I've been quoted around £25 to get this job done by an engine rebuilders. Trouble is, they are shut on Saturdays, and I work in London from Monday to Friday!

paulf

posted on 12/4/02 at 10:34 PM Reply With Quote
Hi David just got to this list as the other one has cone a bit dead, In answer to your questions about skimming flywheels.
1 to remove the dowels if very tight grip them in a bench vice and twist the flywheel to remove.
2 You should skim the entire area of the flywheel face as otherwise you will be reducing the preload as the friction face to face distance is increased.
3 aim for a good turned finish using a medium radius tool and fine feed. If there are hard spots in the casting it is sometimes a good idea to finish with a slipstone held by hand whilst turning in the lathe, if you dont mind doing slightly dangerous things.
I have machined many flywheels for both cars and large industrial engines and usually car flywheels are no bother , the large tractor and lorry ones can be another matter though especially if they have been allowed to slip for some time.
Paul.

David Jenkins

posted on 15/4/02 at 07:43 AM Reply With Quote
Ta very much!

The flywheel face is only slightly marked and in other circumstances I probably wouldn't bother to do anything about it. However, everything's out of the car and the flywheel's sitting in a plastic box on the floor, so I might as well do it while it's easy.

cheers,

David

locost7-online.com

posted on 13/6/02 at 06:17 PM Reply With Quote
We can Skim your flywheel and remove dowels (without damaging them) and can lighten it

£24 skim and dowels
£10 extra to lighten it

We are in reading, Berkshire and open on Saturdays.

CC Engine Services
21-21a Milford Road Reading
0118 9677799
www.rollingroadtune.co.uk

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.