Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Rover V8 - Automatic to Manual conversion?
craig1410

posted on 3/3/03 at 09:13 PM Reply With Quote
Rover V8 - Automatic to Manual conversion?

Hi All,
Does anyone know exactly what is involved in converting a Rover V8 SD1 automatic engine to manual transmission? Is it just 'box and flywheel or is there more to it? Are the engines the same or are there extra pumps or fixings on the block. Are the ancillaries in different places?

I'm building a Locost V8 and have the offer of a good V8 with auto-box for £250 which is fair enough if I can change the 'box easily for a manual but I'm not certain.

Anyone?
Cheers,
Craig.

Shaun

posted on 3/3/03 at 10:17 PM Reply With Quote
RV8 conversion

Did this once you will need to change the flex plate and converter for a flywheel and clutch obvious i know but dont forget to change the spigot bearing in the end of the crankshaft because the auto uses a steel one which will friction weld itself to the input shaft of the gearbox, try getting that apart, won't make that mistake again in a hurry.Plus if you want to save a bit of room change the water pump to a range rover one it is a good few inches shorter, As for the rest of the bits and pieces you will find that there are subtle changes between each models fitment but nothing that will prevent you changing the box
craig1410

posted on 3/3/03 at 10:40 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks Shaun, I'm glad I asked!!
Craig.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.