Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Is 51 Too Old To Move On ?
bi22le

posted on 15/1/16 at 08:33 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by v8kid
quote:
Originally posted by bi22le
Put a cv out and see what comes back. I have selected people in the past that are older because i know that if i treat them right they are there to the end.

My biggest bugbear with older types is computer literacy. What is now considered basic use is beyond some. If you are good on pc say it, if not then fix it.

Other than that I think age brings wisdom and contentment, who would not want that as an employer?

Jeeze that's the most patronising thing I've read this year

Ill take that as a compliment, its only the 15th Jan!!

I was being honest, and i was not rude. Patronising would be to pat him on the back and tell him tell him to grow some balls and that age is just a number.

Track days ARE the best thing since sliced bread, until I get a supercharger that is!

Please read my ring story:
http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/forum/13/viewthread.php?tid=139152&page=1

Me doing a sub 56sec lap around Brands Indy. I need a geo set up! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHksfvIGB3I

RoyM

posted on 15/1/16 at 10:19 PM Reply With Quote
I changed my direction at 54 - worked for years in higher education and got myself in a situation where I had to leave by the time I was 57 or I would lose loads of pension. Started a business at 52 with the aim of retiring at 57 (pt whilst still doing ft). Business grew and Ileft at 54 ad an opportuniity came. Kept the business going until I was 56 and sold it - loved the business and it was great working for myself rather than a bunch of idiots but I work to live not live to work so retired an have never been so busy doing things I want to do.
My point is that there is a load of opportunity out there - age is a number you can ignore- do what you want to do and don't do what you don't - life is just too short

femster87

posted on 15/1/16 at 10:29 PM Reply With Quote
You will be fine, my old man used to say, there is a lot of ways of making money. As he was very right. Make a plan and go for it.
Why do us younger people get such a bad name? We have a decent work ethic, just not ready to die for a company. End of the day its only work. I work with a very young team. They deliver multi millions pound revenue for the company with their creativity and alternative approach to problem solving if managed well. Older people always think everything should be done the way they did it.

[Edited on 15/1/16 by femster87]

LBMEFM

posted on 16/1/16 at 07:41 AM Reply With Quote
At 51 I had been in tourism and catering management for most of my working life apart from training as a mechanic in the early part. I then started up my own property maintenance business and at 63 I have now retired to concentrate my time on restoring Minis. The plus side is that I have a wife who has a full time job so money is not a real problem. LIFE IS SHORT - GO FOR IT you will be surprised how many new avenues will open up when you get out of the rut. Good Luck.
perksy

posted on 16/1/16 at 12:02 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks everyone for your comments, Some very good comments and advice

One of the reasons I love this site

First step is to get my CV up to date as its been awhile since I did that and then go from there...

woodster

posted on 16/1/16 at 08:08 PM Reply With Quote
Go for it I say, we pass this way only once so no regrets and the best of luck .... Life's or living
nick205

posted on 22/1/16 at 09:14 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by perksy
Thanks everyone for your comments, Some very good comments and advice

One of the reasons I love this site

First step is to get my CV up to date as its been awhile since I did that and then go from there...

That's the spirit!

There are some good CV guides online (and bad as well) to help and tailoring your CV to specific job applications doesn't hurt either, just save a copy so you know what the employer is reading.

Best of luck and please keep us posted on your progress.

Mr Whippy

posted on 22/1/16 at 01:05 PM Reply With Quote
I once got so fed up with office work doing engineering I decided to become a city bus driver instead (First Bus) for 4 years! Diving bendys and deckers it was great fun tbh and was one of the best things I ever did.

Boosted my confidence levels no end having to deal with so many people and so much responsibility, pay was very average and did not reflect the job at all but diving jobs are often like that.

That job also meant that you had to help disabled and frail folk on and off and unlike working in an office just making more money for rich people I felt I was really making a beneficial difference to these people life’s and you realised how much a simple bus journey meant to them.

I think people can get stuck in a rut job wise and then are scared to try something new, I get bored quickly and feel trapped especially if I know everything about my job and nothing is new, then it’s time to just leave!!

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.