Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Here's a question for you all to argue about....
Metal Hippy™

posted on 26/7/02 at 02:33 AM Reply With Quote
Here's a question for you all to argue about....

I'm after peoples opinions on something.

As in our build we are using a big block BMW straight 6 (3.5) space at the front will be at a premium.

So the idea put to me and I'm relaying to you all is this...

Put the radiator at the back and lead the pipes from the engine (obviously).

As the chassis is going to be totally redimensioned to make the engine fit well and optimise the weight distribution as much as possible with that engine, accomodating a rear mounted radiator shall be no problem.

Plus points thought of so far...

More air getting at the engine and air intake, more coolant in the system thanks to the extra pipe length and the ability to have a fair size of radiator with the obvious advantage of more cooling area.

Disadvantages...

Heat and its proximity to the fuel tank. Heatshield/reflector of some kind?

Thoughts, observations and ideas welcome.

Cheers.

Rich.

President of the Non-conformist Locost Builders Club. E-mail for details...

Simon

posted on 26/7/02 at 09:12 AM Reply With Quote
Metal H

You could do what some of the bike manufacturers have done, and run your cooling fluid down your frame rails (they'll need insulating). That would save the hassle of extra pipework.

I could be wrong, but I wouldn't have thought a remote radiator would generate a vast amount of heat - others please confirm or otherwise.

Assuming you are going to put radiator in the boot, your rear panel will need to be completely louvred (air out), you will also need to get air in. Could be mounted flat - as in false floor.

Just my thoughts

ATB

Simon

stephen_gusterson

posted on 26/7/02 at 09:17 AM Reply With Quote
The Hillman Imp kinda did something similar, in a fashion.

The imp had a rear engine with the rad underslung at the rear with a scoop.

It also had long pipes going to the front of the car to feed the heater matrix.

Picking holes in your idea, constructively of course :

1. water is heavy. Basically 1 kilo per 10cm square cube. guessing cos im too lazy, thats gotta be around 1 kilo of water per 300mm of average hose. thats gonna add a bit of extra weight.

2. might be hard to bleed air from.

3. volume of water isnt really related to cooling - its heat in, vs heat lost at the rad, which is a function of air flow and area. DONT UNDERESTMATE THE HEAT YOU NEED TO GET RID OF. The beemer will have a big rad for a reason.

4. how you gonna get air at the back of the car? Most cars generate negative pressure under the car, unless you wanna take off, so the imp kinda underslung idea wont get you a lotta air to cool a 3.5 litre engine. then the car runs so low to the ground, you wont get any appreciable scooped air in. F1 style side scoops might look odd?

A suggestion :

On my car at least, there is quite a gap between the front of the engine and the front of the chassis. (see the pics on TOL or ask me if you wanna see). Its a 2.4 L V6 cologne. On my car its needed to swing the engine in and out.

However, if you can stand the thought of a bit of your lump overhanging the axle line, then why not devise a way of making it fit using all available space, and have the front in some way be detatchable to allow the engine out?

In fact, as the rad fits on the front, its not the rad thats the problem - it dont take up engine bay space - its the length of your engine and fitting in the bay thats the problem - so the removable front might be the way?????

Or use a bike engine to get the same bhp / tonne..........

atb

steve

Jon Ison

posted on 26/7/02 at 03:05 PM Reply With Quote
you know my thoughts, stick in in back....
ChrisW

posted on 26/7/02 at 03:31 PM Reply With Quote
Take all dimensions on the chassis, double them and weld it all together? That should give u enough space... just!

Chris

My gaff my rules

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
johnston

posted on 26/7/02 at 09:22 PM Reply With Quote
I am reminded of a car that was n classis ford a while bac it was a anglia wit 4wd scooby stuff in it he had the rad in the back with the floor cut wit the naca style ducts in it too let the air up to the rad
marcjagman

posted on 2/8/02 at 08:52 AM Reply With Quote
I am assuming the chassis will be longer and the engine set a fair way back, so way not put the radiator in the front where it can get lots of fresh? air by putting it at an angle in the available space OR fit TWO mini radiators.
johnston

posted on 2/8/02 at 05:18 PM Reply With Quote
why not do sumthin diff and go f1 style and put them out the sides
Metal Hippy™

posted on 2/8/02 at 07:10 PM Reply With Quote
I've had that suggested.

One problem though...

There's a fair chance it'll look entirely shit.

Maybe it won't, but there's a fair chance it will.

johnston

posted on 2/8/02 at 08:03 PM Reply With Quote
ack well at least itll b different and if the front wheel kicks up a stone it'll mayb hole a rad and melt ur nazis built engine
Metal Hippy™

posted on 2/8/02 at 08:13 PM Reply With Quote
Knackers to that

escary

posted on 4/8/02 at 07:14 PM Reply With Quote
cooling system with rear mounted rad not unlike most modern buses these use hydraulic fan drives at the rear and out of 12 in the fleet I maintain they all overheat(crap system) side mounted radiators are better.But if you must fit a rear radiator, how about in the centre of the roll bar? it'll keep year neck warm and act as a parachute at the same time!
johnston

posted on 4/8/02 at 10:43 PM Reply With Quote
is cost an option???? look at some of the companys makin them outta alloy may b somethin with 4 rows ask them wot they think ud need and weather it would be possible in the area available at the front.
Metal Hippy™

posted on 4/8/02 at 11:57 PM Reply With Quote
As I said before, as the chassis is going to be almost completely redimensioned around the BMW engine to help maintain proportions of the car. So it'll be slightly bigger all round...

Cost IS a factor and so if we can't get enough air into and indeed out of the back of it again we'll put it out at the front. There should be enough width with the extra size in the chassis for the radiator off the donor.

Mind you, there's an oil cooler to think about too....

stephen_gusterson

posted on 5/8/02 at 08:15 AM Reply With Quote
watch out how much bigger you make it.

I made my car about 6 ins wider, tapering to 4 in the bonnet area. Its also 6 ins longer.

As a result, my car looks no where near as dinky as a std locost - that extra bit of size might not give you the right 'look' of you go too big. Not a problem on my car tho...

atb

steve

Nick Davison

posted on 8/8/02 at 12:08 PM Reply With Quote
If you make your chassis wider at the front what nosecone will you use? As a guide a standard nose cone with 4" extra width and 2" extra height I can fit, at an angle, a standard Lancia Thema rad. Dimensions to follow.

Also to keep things in proportion how about fitting a set of Luego's wide wishbones! They are 2.5" wider each side and fit into the standard mounts on the "Book" chassis and should get nearer to the width of the rear wheelbase if you use a Sierra IRS.
Nick

stephen_gusterson

posted on 8/8/02 at 07:15 PM Reply With Quote
Thats the interesting bit.

as my car is gonna look like a morgan, i have to make the whole front. Its not impossible if you make up a former and spend the time on it.

Alans site on his Meertcat car shows what you can do with time patience and innovation.

There ya go Alan, a nice compliment!

atb

steve

johnston

posted on 8/8/02 at 08:35 PM Reply With Quote
was thinkin bout this 2 daymight be bull poo but anyway !!!!!

wot about gettin to rads mounting them bac to bac with a blower fan at the front and a sucker #(ooohhh errr missus) at the back.
plumbing it in might be awkward but a bit of latiral thinkin might do it ???

Alan B

posted on 9/8/02 at 12:55 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Alans site on his Meertcat car shows what you can do with time patience and innovation.

There ya go Alan, a nice compliment!

atb

steve

And very much appreciated it is too

Cheers Steve

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.