Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Fuel anti-surge tank, where can I get one?
Bart Vangampelaere

posted on 23/2/04 at 11:53 AM Reply With Quote
Fuel anti-surge tank, where can I get one?

I'm currently preparing an engine swap for my 1982 widebody Mazda RX7. Though not a Locost, nor a kit car, there have been so many modifications done to this car that it fits better here then in a normal car forum Plus, I'm still planning a Rotary powered locost someday, but that's not going to the first few weeks, though.
The engine swap now will be a 1989 TII engine (EFI, Turbo, IC...) into a chassis that was equiped (well still is untill today) with a carburated non-turbo engine.
To be able to install a EFI engine, I'll need a anti surge tank between the low pressure pump and the high pressure pump. This is needed to avoid fuel starvation under cornering, braking, acceleration... With a carbed engine the fuel bowl is enough for this goal, but with a EFI engine you either need the extra reservoir (anti-surge tank) or a baffled gastank. Since a gastank isn't an option, I'll need the anti-surge tank. However, I cannot find one in Europe.
Any idea who sells those things?

Terrapin_racing

posted on 23/2/04 at 12:14 PM Reply With Quote
I've got one I bought, but didn't use. If you want a photo/details -have to be tonight when I get home. It's alloy with a base mounting plate - with a combination of JIC and standard stub fittinings.

[Edited on 23/2/04 by Terrapin_racing]

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Bart Vangampelaere

posted on 23/2/04 at 03:27 PM Reply With Quote
pics/details would be great.
I'd like to use as any threaded fittings (JIC or AN) instead of push on connections, but anythings better then nothing
If you're asking the right price, we can have a deal
For RX-7's we normally don't use base-mounted tanks, as they are a bit extra work to fit, but it'll work out.
If I cannot use that one, you might be able to direct me to a place that sells these things?

Terrapin_racing

posted on 23/2/04 at 09:11 PM Reply With Quote
pic1 Rescued attachment Dscf0001.jpg
Rescued attachment Dscf0001.jpg

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
stephen_gusterson

posted on 23/2/04 at 10:12 PM Reply With Quote
I made one a bit like terrapins. Mine is the feed to a efi pump from the tank. Its welded directly under the tank to a hole in thetnak bottom

I used 50mm exhaust tubing.

If you really need a sperate tank, the Jag XJ-S has one. Its about a litre or so, and sits under the main tank, which is in turn in the boot, against the boot bulkhead, and below the rear parcel shelf.

protected environment , so looks like new

The 'make yer own' idea works tho

atb

steve

[Edited on 23/2/04 by stephen_gusterson]

Bart Vangampelaere

posted on 23/2/04 at 11:31 PM Reply With Quote
I now see why RX-7 anti surge tanks are different from the universal ones: it'd be a difficult thing to fit in the engine bay.
Maybe you can tell me the dimensions of the botom piece (the square part), so I can see if I can make it fit.
And if you want to sell it to me, you might want to send me a message with price etc.
Do it yourself approach seems cool, but I don't want to take risks and make one that leaks...

Terrapin_racing

posted on 24/2/04 at 08:54 AM Reply With Quote
another pic Rescued attachment DSCF0002.JPG
Rescued attachment DSCF0002.JPG

Terrapin_racing

posted on 24/2/04 at 08:54 AM Reply With Quote
another pic Rescued attachment DSCF0003.JPG
Rescued attachment DSCF0003.JPG

Terrapin_racing

posted on 24/2/04 at 08:55 AM Reply With Quote
another pic Rescued attachment DSCF0004.JPG
Rescued attachment DSCF0004.JPG

Terrapin_racing

posted on 24/2/04 at 08:58 AM Reply With Quote
Alas, I'm in work at present and can't measure the base plate which at a good guess I would say is 100mm x 100mm
but can accurately measure this evening.
I'm open to offers or if you want a custom one made
Try:
http://www.baileymotorsport.co.uk/baileymotorsport/frame.html

Terrapin_racing

posted on 25/2/04 at 01:16 PM Reply With Quote
Well - did he sort it then?
All quiet now?

Bart Vangampelaere

posted on 25/2/04 at 03:04 PM Reply With Quote
everythings a bit busy overhere right now: tomorrow I'm going to be father for the first time, so not much time for cars, or internet
anyway, I can't really make a decent offer: I haven't got a clue what these things cost. just tell me your price, and I'll see if I can afford it
Do you know how connections are made?
Low pressure in on top push-tail connection, low pressure out/overflow other push on. And lower JIC for High pressure pump, upper one for HP return?
Do I have that right?

Terrapin_racing

posted on 25/2/04 at 03:35 PM Reply With Quote
I see why your distracted! Hope all goes well - best wishes.
Hope attached photo helps.
If you still want the tank make me an offer and we'll haggle.
cheers
Rob Rescued attachment fuelsys.gif
Rescued attachment fuelsys.gif

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.