Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Silencer advise wanted
Chippy

posted on 13/5/09 at 10:48 PM Reply With Quote
Silencer advise wanted

Hi, have done a couple of drawings, and would like any comment, good, bad or indiferent,
I have used information that I got of here, to do the lower one, but my maths may be a bit rusty.
V6 3 Ltr, so each cylinder is approx 500cc, or 30.5 cu. ins. this times 8 = 244 cu. ins, and a six inch pipe needs 3 inches to accomodate that figure? Yes or No?
Anyway what I want to know is which can will give the best silencing, (cossy is a noisey b*****d), and sap the least power. Cheers Ray
Silencer Dwg.
Silencer Dwg.

To make a car go faster, just add lightness. Colin Chapman - OR - fit a bigger engine. Chippy

hughpinder

posted on 14/5/09 at 09:31 AM Reply With Quote
I'm no expert, but I did calcs for a 2 lt 4 cylinder engine and the calcs gave identical results to yours!
Regards
Hugh

smart51

posted on 14/5/09 at 10:28 AM Reply With Quote
According to Vizard, the volume of the empty chamber at the start of the silencer should be 8 times the size of 1 cylinder of your engine (or bigger). I read a research paper about straight through silencers which said the baffle in the wadding should be 1/3 of the way along from the inlet to the outlet.

Other than that, the bigger the better, both in length and diameter.

A couple of other things, the pipe into the empty chamber should stick into the chamber by about a 1/2" for the best gas flow. Similarly, the exit from the chamber to the perforated pipe should have a nice radiused edge to allow the gas to flow out nicely.

Chippy

posted on 14/5/09 at 10:47 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks guy's, as i have two pieces of pipe 30" long, it's the long ones then. I just hope its quieter than it is at the moment, Cheers Ray

To make a car go faster, just add lightness. Colin Chapman - OR - fit a bigger engine. Chippy

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.