Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: carb and timing advance set up
chris_smith

posted on 14/6/09 at 06:11 PM Reply With Quote
carb and timing advance set up

any carb setter uppers/experts going to newark that wont mind having a fettle with my car, i havent the foggiest were to start or what to do, but im certain the carbs and timing/advance need sorting to get my car running right, muchest appreciatus, this will be my first show with car, ill be there sat aft camping over.

she seems to go then splutter a bit if i accelerate hardish, almost as if there is a blockage then bang she goes.

im useless when it comes to the tweeking parts, i got her on the road just need some help from you guys now.

beer will be in plentiful supply of course

Description
Description

<<<<1300 xflow standard carb

cheers chris

[Edited on 14/6/09 by chris_smith]

The secret of success is to know something nobody else knows."

jacko

posted on 14/6/09 at 06:15 PM Reply With Quote
It will help if you say what engine / carb you have
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
tomprescott

posted on 14/6/09 at 06:31 PM Reply With Quote
I would guess a 1300 x flow by your "building:...." section but as above, knowing the carbs would help.
tomprescott

posted on 14/6/09 at 07:42 PM Reply With Quote
Don't know about the crossflow, but on the pinto the standard ford carb is pretty awful, see if you can pick up a weber or dellorto form ebay, ideally with a manifold as a bundle.

Then search on the net for approximate jet sizes, on the carb there will be two adjustments, an idle adjustment - which usually is just a screw which will alter the stretch of the throttle cable carrier. The other is a mixture screw - there will be a guideline setting for the carb/engine combo (again do a search on the net) - set it to that. You can make the mixture leaner or richer by turning the mixture screw, tiny movements ineights of a turn or less can make big differences.

With the timing, get a timing light (gunson do one for about £15) and put the inductive sensor on the spark lead for cylinder no1. Point the gun at the timing wheel and pull the trigger, the strobe effect will show a mark on the timing wheel and on the block, as you twist the distributor the timing mark on the wheel will move, twist the distributor until the mark on the wheel and the block line up.

You can set up a carb reasonably well by doing the above but for best results ideally take it to a rolling road and get a pro to set it up.
HTH Good luck,
Tom

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.