Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Stripped down and even lighter!
scubasteve800

posted on 21/6/09 at 09:45 PM Reply With Quote
Stripped down and even lighter!

Ok had a good day sorting out the garage so i could do some work today on the locust ive manged to strip it of the body and when i find my block and tackle ill have the engine out as that is now going im on the lookout for a 2.0 mondeo to strip off all the parts i need any way the day started like this

then take a few bits off and it looks abit like this...

then take one big bit off and it now looks like this ...

Im going to be replicating the old wooden body for a steel frame and aluminium sheeted body i'll start making the jig in the week, when the other half goes on holiday so i can spend extra time on my new toy, cheers steve!

omega0684

posted on 21/6/09 at 09:53 PM Reply With Quote
where's the chassis?

[Edited on 21/6/09 by omega0684]

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
mookaloid

posted on 21/6/09 at 10:07 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by scubasteve800

Im going to be replicating the old wooden body for a steel frame and aluminium sheeted body

Does this mean that you are going to make like a space frame attached the existing chassis?

Why not just build a locost chassis and transfer the running gear over?

Just a suggestion - you'll have a better car at the end

Cheers

Mark

"That thing you're thinking - it wont be that."

AdrianH

posted on 21/6/09 at 10:11 PM Reply With Quote
If you keep the same chassis and build on say a bolt on space frame to take aluminium panels will that mean you do not need to IVA it as it will have the same chassis. If you start with a complete new chassis it will be a new amateur built car.

You may need to keep the engine and a few other bits to not have to re test it?

I could be miles off

Adrian

Why do I have to make the tools to finish the job? More time then money.

tegwin

posted on 21/6/09 at 10:39 PM Reply With Quote
hmm.... Now that chassis is ASKING for a nice light body ontop....

Would be a fantastic platform to build an old school racer rep... or mini cibra type thing...

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Would the last person who leaves the country please switch off the lights and close the door!

www.verticalhorizonsmedia.tv

speedyxjs

posted on 22/6/09 at 06:09 AM Reply With Quote
Will an ali body be strong enough with that narrow chassis?

How long can i resist the temptation to drop a V8 in?

tegwin

posted on 22/6/09 at 08:14 AM Reply With Quote
Depends how you build the body!

I would be inclined to weld some lightweight box section outriggers either side of the backbone to support the outboard edges of the body.... exactly like every TVR...

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Would the last person who leaves the country please switch off the lights and close the door!

www.verticalhorizonsmedia.tv

Mr Whippy

posted on 22/6/09 at 08:15 AM Reply With Quote
personally I'd not bother and just finish it for the road. May not handle quite as good as a spaceframe car but its not a world away from my JBA Falcon, chassis design wise and that’s a blast to drive.

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
BenB

posted on 22/6/09 at 09:35 AM Reply With Quote
I'd personally want something stronger than plywood protecting me from side impacts......
Mr Whippy

posted on 22/6/09 at 09:50 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BenB
I'd personally want something stronger than plywood protecting me from side impacts......

you'd be surprised how strong wood is if used properly and compared to the small steal tubes usually used in the sides of 7's that car will be far harder to crush. The wood will also spread any impact over a huge area rather than the high concentration on a spaceframe, which will simply bend in. Side impacts were what put me off having a 7 as I judged them to non survivable. I'm still hankering for a little wooden jeep replica.

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

speedyxjs

posted on 22/6/09 at 04:32 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by tegwin
Depends how you build the body!

I would be inclined to weld some lightweight box section outriggers either side of the backbone to support the outboard edges of the body.... exactly like every TVR...

Then you need IVA as you have modified the chassis.

How long can i resist the temptation to drop a V8 in?

scubasteve800

posted on 22/6/09 at 06:04 PM Reply With Quote
the car has never been i/sva'd so it will need doing when shes finished, basically yes i will be making a spaceframe to put on top of this, in my head its easy to explain, its harder in words its will be steel box with aluminium sheets for the sides and floors etc. i want to practice on this kit car and if it all goes well i will build one from the ground up, like the book cars, cheers steve!

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.