Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Heat proof edge trim
kendo

posted on 21/7/09 at 07:03 PM Reply With Quote
Heat proof edge trim

Does anyone know of a source of heatproof edging trim?

By heatproof I mean that it needs to be able to cope with exhaust temperatures.

Basically the ends of my silencer (which is one I got from what was Lolocost) failed SVA. I did put edging on it but it fell off before the end of the driveway.

I know I could make a heat shield etc. I'm just looking for options and easier the better.

omega0684

posted on 21/7/09 at 07:36 PM Reply With Quote
is the end of the silencer not rolled over?
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
James

posted on 21/7/09 at 07:41 PM Reply With Quote
I used the regular plastic u trim (about 5mm wide) on my Lolocost exhaust. 2000miles later it's still there.

Cheers,
James

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The fight is won or lost far away from witnesses, behind the lines, in the gym and out there on the road, long before I dance under those lights." - Muhammad Ali

MautoK

posted on 21/7/09 at 08:09 PM Reply With Quote
Here's what I did on the MK-supplied silencer:

Silencer1
Silencer1

Silencer2
Silencer2

There's a length of about 5 mm OD steel tube (I guess brake pipe would be OK) bent into a circle. I took three stainless steel P-clips (the ones with a formed red rubbery insert/protector, junked the rubbery bit, and re-formed the s/steel into a 'd' shape. Round bit of clip around tube and striaght bit jammed into the gap beyween the conical end of the silencer and the cylindrical body - where the pop rivets are.

It's still there, and I'm not sure if it was strictly necessary for SVA, but at least I felt better for solving the (non?)-problem!
John.

He's whittling on a piece of wood. I got a feeling that when he stops whittling, something's gonna happen. (OUATITW/Cheyenne)

bbwales

posted on 21/7/09 at 09:05 PM Reply With Quote
I was failed for using "U" trim on my silencer, I ended up having to weld a 6mm bar around the both edges. If I remember correctly the fail was trim prevented visual inspection of edging.

Regards

Bob

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.