Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Similar question on Vauxhall Engine
Gremlin

posted on 9/8/02 at 09:24 AM Reply With Quote
Similar question on Vauxhall Engine

Thinking of using a 2.0i 16v DOHC Turbo engine out of a calibra 4x4 turbo. I have the whole car and its all in working order including 6speed box and 4x4 if i need it. Any Ideas? Is it possible or worth it?
interestedparty

posted on 9/8/02 at 10:11 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Thinking of using a 2.0i 16v DOHC Turbo engine out of a calibra 4x4 turbo. I have the whole car and its all in working order including 6speed box and 4x4 if i need it. Any Ideas? Is it possible or worth it?

That's a good question or two. Is it possible, yes. Is it worth it, not so sure about that. I don't know how the 4wd on a Calibra is organised, so don't know how easy it would be to adapt the running gear. If I were in your position I would be tempted to sell the running gear to finance the purchase of say a 2ltr zetec and mt75 box.

John

As some day it may happen that a victim must be found,
I've got a little list-- I've got a little list
Of society offenders who might well be underground,
And who never would be missed-- who never would be missed!

Gremlin

posted on 9/8/02 at 10:36 AM Reply With Quote
Not really that bothered about using running gear more wheather it is worth trying to use the lump really. Would a 2lt Zetec be better then than a 204bhp 2lt turbo vauxhall? No idea! Newbie!
Metal Hippy™

posted on 9/8/02 at 01:21 PM Reply With Quote
Who says anything should be easy?

Make it how YOU want it, newbie or not.

There are ways to get round pretty much anything if you try hard enough to find them.

Use the turbo if you have it and sod the zetec.

President of the Non-conformist Locost Builders Club. E-mail for details...

interestedparty

posted on 9/8/02 at 02:27 PM Reply With Quote
Actually, this question is something that goes to the heart of Locost building- how difficult/easy should I make it.
My feeling is that NO build is going to be easy, even Westfield builders know that.
However, sometimes a choice needs to be made between having a go at something very difficult, or perhaps avoiding something really awkward and going down a more trodden path. The danger is that if too difficult a build is undertaken then the likelihood is that it will never be completed.
I'm not saying that using the Calibra engine falls into that category, I'm just saying that sometimes it is wise to avoid tricky stuff if it means making more actual progress.

John

As some day it may happen that a victim must be found,
I've got a little list-- I've got a little list
Of society offenders who might well be underground,
And who never would be missed-- who never would be missed!

Liam

posted on 9/8/02 at 05:06 PM Reply With Quote
Hello...

4x4 running gear wont go in I'm pretty sure but the engine sounds pretty awesome. Don't really know my vauxhalls but aren't they pretty much the 2.0 16v red-top with a turbo? If so, wouldn't there be a bellhousing for a type-9 gearbox available off the shelf (what do all the people who use the Vaux 2.0 16v in kit cars use)?

Or didn't someone say that a Carlton/Senator box might fit. 2.0 Zetec is about 130bhp as standard I think. Would be very expensive to get 204bhp out of it. Go on use the vauxhall lump.

Liam

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
dougal

posted on 9/8/02 at 11:31 PM Reply With Quote
im using the normaly aspirated version with a carlton box. no problems at all and the box is alot lighter than a type 9.
as for the 4wd the engine would have to be transverse and the rear wheel drive only kicks in when the front looses it and is very fragile.
by all means use the turbo lump, its already been done by caterham though

Gremlin

posted on 11/8/02 at 12:28 AM Reply With Quote
I believe it is the standard 2lt 16v engine with jsut a few internal mods which make it quieter than the standard and obviously the turbo. Oh well may give it a go especially if it has been done before and worked.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.