Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: I can't reach my shifter
DNA Locost

posted on 23/3/04 at 02:17 PM Reply With Quote
I can't reach my shifter

Boys,
Can any of you give me some advise with bringing my gear shifter closer to the seat?
Its a bit of a stretch to reach it at the moment so I need to make an extension link. how have you guys done it because I cant see anything about it in mr champions book. some photos would be great if you've got them.

cheers
Derek

GO

posted on 23/3/04 at 02:28 PM Reply With Quote
There are extension kits available, and alot of people have made their own.

What box are you using? type 9?

DNA Locost

posted on 23/3/04 at 03:12 PM Reply With Quote
dunno, what a type 9?? Im using a 2.8ltr v6 ford lump with the 5 speed box it came with out of a Sierra XR4i.

I can never remember what the model numbers of engines or boxes are so I just use what I have in the garage if it fits together.

I know im a cowboy but it seems to work ok yeehaaa!

ned

posted on 23/3/04 at 03:15 PM Reply With Quote
this is a v6 version of the type 9. longer input shaft + bellhousing and longer first gear.

quickshift kits and extension i thin kare available from rally design raldes.co.uk. it is easy enough to cut the vulcanised rubber damper section off the gearstick and bend the gearstick and extend it yourself or make a rosejointed extensin to mount further back in the tranny tunnel.

Ned.

beware, I've got yellow skin

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
200mph

posted on 23/3/04 at 03:26 PM Reply With Quote
what about for the 4 speed?

Mark

DNA Locost

posted on 23/3/04 at 03:35 PM Reply With Quote
cheers boys,
Thanks for the help, I didnt think there would be much to it but I always like to check seen as im all on my own with this build.

I can here my misses now...
"If you can make it yourself Im not letting you buy one..."

yes dear, ok then..

scoobyis2cool

posted on 23/3/04 at 03:38 PM Reply With Quote
I bought my extension from mac 1 motorsports (http://www.mac1motorsports.co.uk/).

It took a bit of fitting (the piece that fits over the gear selector arm wasnt big enough so I had to file a fair chunk out of it but it seems to fit ok now, not sure how it'll perform because the 'box is still on my garage floor awaiting an engine.

It cost me about £60 or so

Pete

It's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care...

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
200mph

posted on 23/3/04 at 03:48 PM Reply With Quote
scooby was that a type-9 extension?

can the same sort of extension be made for the 4 speed box. I dont particularly want to bend the selector, but it's awfully far away.

cheers
Mark

madforfishing

posted on 23/3/04 at 03:54 PM Reply With Quote
Mine is too, my next job, HELP

ned

posted on 23/3/04 at 04:00 PM Reply With Quote
ben copeland has made his own extension, there is a pic on his website. i think he's using a type9 initially.. but must be simillar in design/application..

Ned.

beware, I've got yellow skin

jcduroc

posted on 23/3/04 at 04:11 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ned
this is a v6 version of the type 9. longer input shaft + bellhousing and longer first gear.
Ned.

Where the h.ll do you mount your engine as to not reaching the type 9 gear lever?
Mine's just under my hand with my elbow bent at 120ŗ!...
Joćo

JCM

scoobyis2cool

posted on 23/3/04 at 04:14 PM Reply With Quote
9904169 (what a memorable name!), yeah my extension is for a type9 5 speed, im not sure if the same extension would work on a 4 speed but i suspect not. Your best bet might be to phone mac1 and ask them, theyre really helpful guys and I'm sure if they know of anywhere you can get one they'll point you in the right direction

Pete

It's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care...

DNA Locost

posted on 23/3/04 at 04:26 PM Reply With Quote
jcduroc have you got really short legs with your seat right forward??

Nah just kidding my gear stick is about 9 or 10 inches out of reach, I need to extend it other wise i'll have to keep leaning forward to change gear.

jcduroc

posted on 23/3/04 at 05:04 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by DNA Locost
jcduroc have you got really short legs with your seat right forward??

I'm 1,71 m short, my feet are +/- at the plane the bellhousing joins the gearbox (ie, +/- 20 cm from the back of the engine) and I reach the gear lever perfectly.

Joćo

JCM

Simon

posted on 25/3/04 at 12:14 AM Reply With Quote
When I was building my chassis, I put the gearlever where I could (comfortably) reach it (basically, it determined where my engine and box went), same with steering wheel

ATB

Simon

flyingkiwi

posted on 25/3/04 at 06:08 AM Reply With Quote
David Jenkins has a wonderful gear lever extension that works a treat - only snag is you need a lathe to make it.

http://www.dwjenkins.plus.com/gear_extend.htm

Should work for a four speed type 9

chris

[Edited on 25/3/04 by flyingkiwi]

It Runs!!!!! Bring on the SVA!

britishtrident

posted on 25/3/04 at 07:30 AM Reply With Quote
All the lever on a type 9 should need is a 4 inch dog leg. With the lever clamped in a vice just above the ball use heat to unbond the rubber isolater (take care not to overheat the rubber as burning this type of rubber creates nasty acidic byproducts) braze a suitable bit of tube on to the stubb braze the tip of the old gear lever to the other end of the tube and hot bend bend the tube to a Z shape.
stephen_gusterson

posted on 25/3/04 at 10:07 AM Reply With Quote
there is somewhere an idea that you use a second gear lever mounted behind the box one.

you cut the box one short, and weld to it a 'bush' that couples to a bar with a bush at the other end. the other end connects to the 'new' lever.

As you move the new lever, the remote one follows.

you have to remove a piece of metal from the box mechanism to allow reverse to be engaged - you cant mimic pushing on the lever....

the best pic i can find is this.

i could sketch an scan the idea if it helps.

BTW - if your lever is that far out of reach it indicates your engine is a bit far forwards.......

atb

steve Rescued attachment lever.jpg
Rescued attachment lever.jpg

Ian Pearson

posted on 25/3/04 at 10:08 AM Reply With Quote
If you look in Aprils WHICH KIT, the Tiget Avon build article has an informative section on extending the gear lever on the type 9 gearbox.
200mph

posted on 25/3/04 at 10:21 AM Reply With Quote
As I have no access to a lathe, and wouldnt know what do do with one if I did, has anyone thought of making the components as suggested on david jenkins page?

Surely a lot of people would be interested in this, so could be a nice little earner?

Or, would someone be able to make them for me?

Cheers
Mark

bonerp

posted on 25/3/04 at 12:35 PM Reply With Quote
The Tiger remote is Sh1te. I know cos I bought one for my Tiger Cat. If you set it up really well it can work - sort of being a bit stiff.

I dumped it and bought a westfield remote. It was second hand after I placed a wanted ad on the westie forum. Cost £25 and works a treat!

Paul

[Edited on 25/3/04 by bonerp]

200mph

posted on 25/3/04 at 02:15 PM Reply With Quote
in what form is the westie remote? any pictures by any chance?

cheers
Mark

bonerp

posted on 25/3/04 at 02:38 PM Reply With Quote
try this
bonerp

posted on 25/3/04 at 02:39 PM Reply With Quote
and this Rescued attachment Fitted.jpg
Rescued attachment Fitted.jpg

bonerp

posted on 25/3/04 at 02:40 PM Reply With Quote
You basically cut a hole out of the backplate of the type 9 box then slot it in like you do the stick, then bolt the stick to the new platform.

Hope this helps
Paul

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.