Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Nut 'n' Bolts !!
Visco

posted on 11/8/02 at 07:52 AM Reply With Quote
Nut 'n' Bolts !!

Could I ask if the all the nust & bolts are UNC or UNF type as my enigne is missing quite a few as it was in bits when I got it. I've seen a couple of adverts in the back of Kit Car for "Selection Bags" of nuts & bolts but I'd like to get the right type first time.
Is there anyone else worth getting these from other than the adverts in the mag ??
I'm in West Yorkshire.
Thanks as always.......The help is Brill here !!

interestedparty

posted on 11/8/02 at 08:23 AM Reply With Quote
Your post doesn't say which engine you have. Anyway, the only types that Locost builders are likely to encounter are UNC (unified coarse) UNF (unified fine) and standard metric.
UNF are usually used in older designs for holding two steel parts together. The threads are very close together and the bolts are defined by their outside diameter measured in imperial e.g.5/16".
UNC are more usual where the bolt fastens into aluminium e.g. Rover V8's. Their threads are much coarser and the difference is obvious,measured the same way.
Metric are usually somewhere between the two, and have become the standard over the last 25 years or so, but there are plenty of exceptions, measured O/D and descsribed as M6,M8,M10 etc.
You should find a local firm under bolt and nut stockist in you yellow pages. Take some cash with you and make it obvious that you don't need a receipt and they are usually very helpful.
Invest in a Zeus book, a thread gauge(optional) and a cheap vernier caliper and you will be able to identify any thread.

John

As some day it may happen that a victim must be found,
I've got a little list-- I've got a little list
Of society offenders who might well be underground,
And who never would be missed-- who never would be missed!

Visco

posted on 11/8/02 at 03:05 PM Reply With Quote
Should have said that there for a 1300 X-Flow engine !
interestedparty

posted on 11/8/02 at 04:35 PM Reply With Quote
I'm not familiar with the 1300xflow but the above still applies, it's a good thing for anyone building a locost to learn about nuts and bolts, and to get a zeus book and a calipers.

John

Visco

posted on 12/8/02 at 07:18 PM Reply With Quote
Where can I get hold of a Zeus book >???
Highcost builder

posted on 12/8/02 at 07:56 PM Reply With Quote
Just rebuilt 1600 X Flow the sump and manifolds are unc most of the internals are unf (but the most important nut is the one the holds the steering wheel) they come in all shapes and sizes. ive got the manual if you need any info.
interestedparty

posted on 12/8/02 at 09:16 PM Reply With Quote
You can get the Zeus engineer's chart book from most good engineer's supplies shops, check yellow pages, or online
http://tbx.toolbankexpress.com/searchresults.cfm?CFID=75627&CFTOKEN=23766130&rID=66&nx=C8079BB0E79E15685646860060047A66
and enter Zeus in the search facility shown. Cost is less than £6 You can get cheap vernier calipers and thread gauges from the same source. You dont have to have a thread gauge because if you measure the distance between threads with the calipers the Zeus book gives the pitch of all common thread forms and you can work out which one it is.

If the Haynes manual quote bolt sizes then it will be the first one that I have seen that does that.

John

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.