Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Bike engine sourcing
Paul Leggott

posted on 11/8/02 at 06:06 PM Reply With Quote
Bike engine sourcing

Hi,
can anyone help, I am currently considering a number of new build options having just sold my Robin Hood. I like the idea of a bike engined seven, but know little about bike engines. Does anyone have any good tips do's/don'ts and where is the best place for sourcing a bike unit????

Paul

Jasper

posted on 11/8/02 at 07:44 PM Reply With Quote
Paul

Tips are DO,DO,DO....(just been for my first ride in a BEC, awesome...)

Start reading the Bike Engine Cars Group on Yahoo...

Current most popular choices are Blade/ZX9R or Blackird/Busa/GSXR on a big budget

As for engine sourcing be very careful buying from a breakers. Get engine number b4 u buy and check it with the customer services department of the bike manufacturer to check year it was sold and to which dealer. Then ring the dealer and see if they have any history on it.

I've just bought mine from Mark at Mach1 Motorsport in Sheffield. Seem like really nice helpful guys and seem honest, but until I fire it up I won't really know!

Go for it...
Jasper

Jon Ison

posted on 12/8/02 at 06:57 PM Reply With Quote
here's a start.......3 to look at...

http://findit.co.uk/cars/kitcar/parts/368338.htm

http://findit.co.uk/cars/kitcar/parts/368226.htm

http://findit.co.uk/cars/kitcar/parts/369141.htm

Just do it.........

Paul Leggott

posted on 12/8/02 at 09:22 PM Reply With Quote
many thanks Jon, the more I see the more I'm convinced a BEC is the way to go, but do I need to go a busa for real top performance

Jon Ison

posted on 13/8/02 at 04:28 PM Reply With Quote
No.
Jon Ison

posted on 13/8/02 at 04:33 PM Reply With Quote
i'll expand a bit.....

Blade engine ere.....127mph two up earlier last week, 0-60 pretty brisk, tootles around in 5th all day at 30mph, yes Busa will pull a bit better, but it will pull another £2k from your wallet.....i give a few guys on here a lift, i'm sure they will tell you the Blade aint no slouch.....

personal choice, but if your on a budget, like i was, then i'd give the Busa a miss and put the saved money into the car....i spent mine in dash, seats, mirrows ect.....

locodude

posted on 13/8/02 at 05:15 PM Reply With Quote
OR
Alternatively, put a real engine in(x-flow or pinto), save even more cash and have a walnut veneered dash and a conolley leather interior. Go the jap bike engine route and next thing you know it's rice diets and a fetish for karaoke bars. Who knows where it will end, perhaps getting your lass to dress up as a jap schoolgirl?? Go cast iron and two valves per cylinder, you know it makes sense!
Chris PTM
see you tommorrow jon?

Jon Ison

posted on 13/8/02 at 06:53 PM Reply With Quote
how do i get my toe into these jap slippers....... ????

how's your anchor.....running ok ?

Alan B

posted on 13/8/02 at 06:57 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
OR
Alternatively, put a real engine in(x-flow or pinto......

Ah yes one of the rare CECs

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Paul Leggott

posted on 13/8/02 at 08:04 PM Reply With Quote
sound like two very differing view points. I had a 150bhp hood, but I am after somthing that really pushes you back in the seat. I have decided to cut my budget back to about 9k (girlfriend pressures!!!)so I have to be fairly realistic. Any ideas on a best buy kit/motor for this money?

When in a hole stop digging!

locodude

posted on 13/8/02 at 08:19 PM Reply With Quote
Jon
Anchor running fine. Aldon dizzy arrived today, very quick service, highly delighted. Just need lumenition kit for it and it's all systems go (jesus I sound like I'm in Thunderbirds).
Chris PTM
Anchors Away

Jon Ison

posted on 13/8/02 at 09:27 PM Reply With Quote
for 9k your gonna build a swift motor, either a self built korker or pheraps an MK with Busa power on that budget, i've managed a porch, tvr ect.... eating blade locost for under 4K...

PTM, don't forget the string n torch.....

locodude

posted on 13/8/02 at 11:11 PM Reply With Quote
Hi Jon
My emergency tool kit now includes fishing line and a box of swan vestas, just for you!
Chris PTM

David Jenkins

posted on 14/8/02 at 07:30 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
..i give a few guys on here a lift, i'm sure they will tell you the Blade aint no slouch.....

Too true, matey - fastest thing I've ridden in for many a year.

Jon's a big lad, and I'm well-upholstered , but the car had no trouble blasting up and down the road. Real head-jerking acceleration.

To be fair tho', Jon has tuned the engine a bit... nothing excessive I believe (not yet, anyway )

David

escary

posted on 14/8/02 at 12:36 PM Reply With Quote
Chris Gibbs is selling a zx12r set up,which with a little tune willl hump a busa try him on chris@locostbuilders.co.uk. Very helpful chap indeed
regards
Ewan

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.