Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Gear lever wrong way round !!
rallyingden

posted on 10/10/09 at 10:24 AM Reply With Quote
Gear lever wrong way round !!

Well just got the engine running and I was checking clutch etc out but I could not select reverse........

Old ford type E 4 speed box....

After lots of head scratching I removed the lever for the umpteenth time and noticed that the little notch that forms the reverse interlock seemed to be on the wrong side so I turned the lever round which then made it face the front !! but it worked ......
Now I can and have strightened the lever from the mastic bush upwards but that still leaves the bend from the end of the lever to the bush, I cant heat it up as there is too much rubber & plastic in the way.

If I seperate the lever at the mastic bush then I could sort things out but....... and heres the questions
1 How the hell do you seperate it.

2 Is it needed coz I could get it off with a lot of heat

Cheers
RD

gear stick
gear stick

lotusmadandy

posted on 10/10/09 at 10:41 AM Reply With Quote
You can separate it with a gas torch
then use it as a short stick as i did.
Or you can weld a piece of m10 stud
on to lengthen it.

Andy

blakep82

posted on 10/10/09 at 11:00 AM Reply With Quote
its really just pressed on. i cut up the sides of the outer sleeve of the top of the lever. then you can see the top of the lever inside the inner sleeve of the push. i got a 10mm bolt and hit it from the top to drift it out (holding the rest of the bush in a vice

the lever inside is the right 10mm diameter to cut the thread right on to it

[Edited on 10/10/09 by blakep82]

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

rusty nuts

posted on 10/10/09 at 11:39 AM Reply With Quote
If you use heat you risk damaging the main plastic gear lever retaininer. Careful use of a hacksaw/angle grinder will remove the rubber insulator you should then be able to run a die down the remaining part to accept an extension
Peteff

posted on 10/10/09 at 12:30 PM Reply With Quote
I just cut mine off below and above the rubber joint and welded it back together. It needed to be shorter anyway.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

rallyingden

posted on 10/10/09 at 12:39 PM Reply With Quote
I managed to get a grip in the vice between the plastic cup and the rubber gaiter. and using brute force ( just a strong pull ) I have bent it to the correct position, slightly angled backwards. I can now use the part above the mastic bush to get the lever facing where I want it.
I may remove the bush and top half anyway as suggested above............. thanks for your ideas

RD

Daddylonglegs

posted on 10/10/09 at 08:02 PM Reply With Quote
Any chance of a piccy or two mate? I am going to have to do something similar with mine and can't seem to find many pictures showing mods.

JB

It looks like the Midget is winning at the moment......

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.