Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Intercoolers
jimgiblett

posted on 17/11/10 at 06:50 PM Reply With Quote
Intercoolers

A couple of questions for the LCB collective:-

Q1. Can an intercooler be too large for the turbo? I am using a standard T28 but want to maybe upgrade later to a GT28RS but worried about excessive lag.

Q2. Can the inlet/outlets be to large. Outlet from the turbo is 2" and inlet to the plenum 2.5" was thinking of having 2.5" inlet and outlet.

Q3. Due to space issues my intercooler needs to be in front of of the radiator. Should there be a gap or should I keep as tight as possible?

Thanks in advance

- Jim

marcjagman

posted on 17/11/10 at 06:56 PM Reply With Quote
Intercoolers for a locost can't be too large, the inlets/oulets are close enough. Some will say close to rad some may say leave a gap, personally if you have a sucking fan as apposed to a blowing fan a small gap sould be okay or very close would work.
jimgiblett

posted on 17/11/10 at 07:04 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by marcjagman
Intercoolers for a locost can't be too large, the inlets/oulets are close enough. Some will say close to rad some may say leave a gap, personally if you have a sucking fan as apposed to a blowing fan a small gap sould be okay or very close would work.

I am being cheeky as it's not in a Locost ist is in my '67 Alfa. I am keeping the intercooler in the engine bay for stealth but as they come in varying sizes and shapes I was just going to buy the biggest that fits. My concern was that if it is to large the increase in pressure would take longer and increase lag.

I will be using a 12" sucking fan.

- Jim

flak monkey

posted on 17/11/10 at 07:08 PM Reply With Quote
Too large will add lag to your boost, but you cant get one that big in a locost anyway.

Same with pipes.

Conversely, too small and you will loose boost due to it creating a restriction.

There should be no gap, and the sides (gap) should be covered so that all the air going through the intercooler goes through the rad. You are likely to otherwise have overheating issues.

Mine used 50mm pipe work which was the best size for my install. This one was sized for 350bhp at 1 bar of boost. The rad behind is the same size as a polo rad, but double core.

Rad fitting 2
Rad fitting 2

Rad fitting 4
Rad fitting 4

[Edited on 17/11/10 by flak monkey]

[Edited on 17/11/10 by flak monkey]

Sera

http://www.motosera.com

jimgiblett

posted on 17/11/10 at 07:21 PM Reply With Quote
Your setup look excellent and may fit in my Alfa. What are the dimensions? Did you get it all (I/C and rad) from GRS motorsport? Was it a custom build? Was it v.expensive?

Sorry for all the Qs

There are loads of I/Cs and rads on fleebay which are cheap and pleny custom ones which seem v.expensive.

Cheers

- Jim

flak monkey

posted on 17/11/10 at 07:40 PM Reply With Quote
GRS will make anything you like. Graham is very good at what he does without a doubt.

It was a custom build yes, made to my dimensions and both were designed to fit together.

The complete assembly was around £700. Never had any problems with heat either on the rolling road or on the road even in the hot summer this year. Intake temps never went over 30deg either.

David

Sera

http://www.motosera.com

sorens2

posted on 17/11/10 at 08:27 PM Reply With Quote
An IC cant be too large.
Only if you make it like 2x2m.
I have just fitted a 70x45x7 cm and there is no lag.
Think about how much air a turbo makes per sec.

Go LARGE !!!

Soren S2

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
matt_gsxr

posted on 17/11/10 at 08:48 PM Reply With Quote
Jim,

When I started reading this I thought you were going to boost the fury.

Matt

jimgiblett

posted on 17/11/10 at 09:06 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by matt_gsxr
Jim,

When I started reading this I thought you were going to boost the fury.

Matt

Hi Matt

Maybe one day, I am waiting on Hobbsy to be test bed guinea pig first with the 03 R1.

This is for my old Alfa which I am converting to SR20DET power.

- Jim

pekwah1

posted on 18/11/10 at 12:26 AM Reply With Quote
hi,

noticed that you're in west sussex... if it helps at all i have a standard mr2 turbo intercooler that you could have for 20 notes.
Same as this one:

I'm in horsham.
If you're interested i'll get some pics of the actual cooler in the garage so you can see the condition etc....

Regards,
andy

jimgiblett

posted on 18/11/10 at 11:22 AM Reply With Quote
Hi Andy

I'm in Horsham too. Small world eh.

I am hoping to get my SR20DET >300hp so I am not sure that the std intercooler will flow/cool enough. Do you know the core size? I think the outlet maybe in an inconvenient position as I want to locate it in front of the rad.

Cheers

- Jim

quote:
Originally posted by pekwah1
hi,

noticed that you're in west sussex... if it helps at all i have a standard mr2 turbo intercooler that you could have for 20 notes.
Same as this one:

I'm in horsham.
If you're interested i'll get some pics of the actual cooler in the garage so you can see the condition etc....

Regards,
andy

beaver34

posted on 18/11/10 at 01:47 PM Reply With Quote
im tubo charging my engine, after getting afew cheap coolers from ebay and breakers i dicided to have one custom made, £290 to the spec i want and the size i want saved messing around with stuff that will never really work
jimgiblett

posted on 18/11/10 at 01:56 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by beaver34
im tubo charging my engine, after getting afew cheap coolers from ebay and breakers i dicided to have one custom made, £290 to the spec i want and the size i want saved messing around with stuff that will never really work

Were the cheap intercoolers all 2nd hand or new. Some look pretty good on paper with reasonable efficiency and low losses for not much money. Or shouldnt I believe all I read.

- Jim

beaver34

posted on 18/11/10 at 04:43 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jimgiblett
quote:
Originally posted by beaver34

Were the cheap intercoolers all 2nd hand or new. Some look pretty good on paper with reasonable efficiency and low losses for not much money. Or shouldnt I believe all I read.

- Jim

if i could have got one to fit from ebay i would have used it, but my car the nose is small you might not have this issue

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.