Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2    3  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Prop Catcher - Demand?
FASTdan

posted on 12/5/11 at 06:54 AM Reply With Quote
Prop Catcher - Demand?

I will be manufacturing something to do this job for our own car as below:

Would there be a demand for it as a product? material would be 5mm Mild Steel, weight of a pair as shown above 280g. Price I would hope for £10 per pair - obviously most installations will require 2 pairs.

The plate is designed to be as wide as the standard book chassis tunnel and can therefore be fastened directly to the vertical box sections - OR as in some cases, may need spacing off the box to position it 'inboard' of the UV joint. The hole through the middle is 70mm providing a 10mm clearance around the prop.

The above could be done in 6mm alu to reduce weight but price would need to be £15ish per pair.

NEW danST WEBSITE NOW LIVE! Bike carbs, throttle bodies and more......

http://www.danstengineering.co.uk/

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
40inches

posted on 12/5/11 at 07:08 AM Reply With Quote
Don't like the overlap,I would prefer it if the plates butted together, to give 4 separate mounting holes, otherwise I would be interested if they will be available in the next couple of weeks, and they fit the MK.

gavin174

posted on 12/5/11 at 07:21 AM Reply With Quote
hi

I would be interested.

not sure if 2 holes in each chassis tube might weeken the chassis a bit (4 for each catcher)

http://www.essexkitcarclub.com

FASTdan

posted on 12/5/11 at 07:23 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the response - I have only just added the overlap to eliminate 2 fasteners as I thought people might be put off by more drilling/nutserting etc, cost wise it wont make any difference either way. What dont you like about it?

Probabyl needs a rad on the internal corner to eliminate any catch point, but I cant see any other issue?

*edit to add once I have feedback I can have these ready within 2 weeks.

[Edited on 12/5/11 by FASTdan]

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
40inches

posted on 12/5/11 at 07:41 AM Reply With Quote
My thinking is that 4 mounting points will spread the load,wouldn't a single mounting point halfway down the chassis tube be prone to buckling in a side impact, as against 2 mounting points nearer the ends of the tube But this is just my thinking, probably talking borrocks

martyn_16v

posted on 12/5/11 at 07:53 AM Reply With Quote
If you have a side impact hard enough to start buckling the tunnel, you're probably already mincemeat...
FASTdan

posted on 12/5/11 at 07:58 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by martyn_16v
If you have a side impact hard enough to start buckling the tunnel, you're probably already mincemeat...

Not only that but you'd be looking at buckling both verticals - given that the plate is tying the two together.

jonrotheray

posted on 12/5/11 at 08:17 AM Reply With Quote
Yes please!
Bluemoon

posted on 12/5/11 at 08:20 AM Reply With Quote
Interested but need to measure the MK indy prop and chassis..

Not sure it would be correct for a live axel (perfect for IRS though) you might need an oval hole . If you made the over lap twice the length you could use 2 bolt holes as suggested above but choose oval large, oval small or circular hole depending on how you mounted it?? One could the chose the smallest hole size required for any set-up???

Dan

[Edited on 12/5/11 by Bluemoon]

jossey

posted on 12/5/11 at 08:23 AM Reply With Quote
same as above i would be interested but i dont like the overlap.

Let me know how you get on.

Thanks

David Johnson

Building my tiger avon slowly but surely.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
johny p

posted on 12/5/11 at 09:02 AM Reply With Quote
yes i will defo have 2 please
yozza

posted on 12/5/11 at 09:23 AM Reply With Quote
Yes
Very interested
Let me know if you go ahead.
Regards
Joe Hughes

RichardK

posted on 12/5/11 at 09:27 AM Reply With Quote
I personally would prefer this design
chunky2772 prop catcher 1
chunky2772 prop catcher 1

But maybe a bit faffy due to different tunnel width and prop diamentions.

Cheers

Rich

Gallery updated 11/01/2011

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
mcerd1

posted on 12/5/11 at 09:36 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by FASTdan
Thanks for the response - I have only just added the overlap to eliminate 2 fasteners as I thought people might be put off by more drilling/nutserting etc, cost wise it wont make any difference either way. What dont you like about it?

Probabyl needs a rad on the internal corner to eliminate any catch point, but I cant see any other issue?

As I see it the overlap might actually be a benafit - it'll hold the 2 halfs together better thatn bolting each half to the chassis on its own

and I don't think youd need a radius on the inside corners, just cut the 1/2 circle hole then take the strait line to the edge of the part like this:
Prop Catcher Idea
Prop Catcher Idea

I can't use any of these ones as they are though - my dax chassis doesn't have tubes in the right place for them

[Edited on 12/5/2011 by mcerd1]

-

FASTdan

posted on 12/5/11 at 09:36 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bluemoon
Interested but need to measure the MK indy prop and chassis..

Not sure it would be correct for a live axel (perfect for IRS though) you might need an oval hole . If you made the over lap twice the length you could use 2 bolt holes as suggested above but choose oval large, oval small or circular hole depending on how you mounted it?? One could the chose the smallest hole size required for any set-up???

Dan

[Edited on 12/5/11 by Bluemoon]

Thats an excellent idea. I will look into modifying the design as per the above. This will allow the overlap to be removed by the builder if desired and offer 2 or 4 fasteners.

This will definitely go ahead as there is enough interest in this post alone to justify the investment.

Richard, that is indeed a nice design but there is no way I could produce it for the same cost and I cannot see any benefit over and above my design (apart from a few grams).

A few have mentioned the indy - this is designed around the indy's tunnel, overall width of the plate being a couple of mm less than the tunnels outside dims.

I will publish a drawing to allow people to measure up anyway.

Thanks for everyones input, keep 'em coming.

Neville Jones

posted on 12/5/11 at 09:56 AM Reply With Quote
Make the material thickness 3mm. That's plenty big enough in the application.Otherwise, to match the strengths, the bolts will have to be 12mm!Or more.

I could use a few of these.

Cheers,
nev.

FASTdan

posted on 12/5/11 at 09:56 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mcerd1

I can't use any of these ones as they are though - my dax chassis doesn't have tubes in the right place for them

How far out are the verticals though? I see no reason you couldn't space these plates off the box sections using pillars to clear the UJ as required.

mcerd1

posted on 12/5/11 at 10:11 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by FASTdan
quote:
Originally posted by mcerd1

How far out are the verticals though? I see no reason you couldn't space these plates off the box sections using pillars to clear the UJ as required.

the dax tunnel is a totaly different design to the locosts, there is no top rail / vericals - everything is diagonal apart from the lower rails

its hard to explain and I don't have all my pics with me, so I've nicked someone elses build pics:

-

FASTdan

posted on 12/5/11 at 10:18 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Neville Jones
Make the material thickness 3mm. That's plenty big enough in the application.Otherwise, to match the strengths, the bolts will have to be 12mm!Or more.

I could use a few of these.

Cheers,
nev.

Agreed on the strength - I had 5mm for a peace of mind thing, it 'looks' right whereas 3mm to Joe public it might look a bit flimsy.

designer

posted on 12/5/11 at 10:24 AM Reply With Quote
A good idea, but vastly over-engineered.

When a UJ fails the impact is on the edge of a sheet catcher, and can be controlled by 2mm material.

Also, you have to bear in mind that you only need a prop catcher at the gearbox, power input, end.

FASTdan

posted on 12/5/11 at 10:28 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by designer

When a UJ fails the impact is on the edge of a sheet catcher, and can be controlled by 2mm material.

Also, you have to bear in mind that you only need a prop catcher at the gearbox, power input, end.

How come only the gearbox end?

Neville Jones

posted on 12/5/11 at 10:30 AM Reply With Quote
quote:

You've never been on the recieving end of a rear UJ letting loose? Far worse than a front.

You need a retraint that does both ends.

Not wanting to put Dan out of work, but suitably placed uprights in the tunnel structure, with tubes across the top, will do the job. You've only got to stop the prop taking out your legs or hips.

Cheers,
Nev.

designer

posted on 12/5/11 at 10:41 AM Reply With Quote
Generally the design of the transmission tunnel should stop a broken prop from entering the cockpit. A catcher is to save the prop from hitting the floor, digging in an flipping the car.

The prop shaft should have the same quality of joint front and rear to any failure will be at the front when all the reactions are, as the rear is 'cushioned' a little by the tubular shaft.

If a rear joint fails the shaft will clatter about a lot but cannot dig into anything as it is trailing. A front failure, and the prop hitting the floor, is exremely dangerous as it can dig into the road surface with dire results.

FASTdan

posted on 12/5/11 at 10:43 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Neville Jones
quote:

You've never been on the recieving end of a rear UJ letting loose? Far worse than a front.

You need a retraint that does both ends.

Not wanting to put Dan out of work, but suitably placed uprights in the tunnel structure, with tubes across the top, will do the job. You've only got to stop the prop taking out your legs or hips.

Cheers,
Nev.

Don't worry about me, this is a product for either a standard chassis build or a retro-fit, as you say there's other ways of solving but a bolt in item will suit some

I would also hope that such a device will also save the chassis from serious damage.

FASTdan

posted on 12/5/11 at 10:46 AM Reply With Quote
unless I am very much mistaken both front and rear UJ's transmit the same torque during any conditions therefore have an equal chance of failure.

If all you are interested in is stopping the prop hitting the floor a bar across the bottom of the tunnel both front and rear will suffice.

<<  1    2    3  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.