Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Bespoke Header Tank
Mr C

posted on 14/9/11 at 08:02 PM Reply With Quote
Bespoke Header Tank

I noticed a few threads enquiring about suitable header tanks for their respective projects. I had been looking for one for my subaru engined v-storm and couldn't find one with enough inlets for the twin rads and the right size to fit where I wanted. I also wanted as big as possible to avoid using an expansion tank if possible.

In the end I did a sketch with dimensions and went to Tim and Steve at T&S Fabrication in Staplehurst, Kent. I provided a cnc machined neck and cap from CBS (£15) and a couple of flared pipe joiners for the inlets. Did a great Job, they even tolerated me taking it away half finished and measuring brackets etc to ensure it fitted perfectly and popping it back to complete.

Cost £110 plus the bits from CBS. I thought was good value given the cost of some of the of the shelf alloy ones out there. Plus they are a couple of great blokes, total petrolheads of the two wheeled kind.

Image below

Girl walks into a bar and asks for a double entendre, so the barman gave her one

TimC

posted on 14/9/11 at 08:12 PM Reply With Quote
That is nice!

In a similar vein, I rate Evalution Designs.

blakep82

posted on 14/9/11 at 08:18 PM Reply With Quote
ooh, thats erm, quite a lot... it does look very nice though, and there are a lot more expensive ones that don't look as good out there!
i got mine for about half the price from Jim at alloyracingfabrications.com
he's got a standard budget one, but can alter to suit what you need (inlet and outlet sizes, tank dimentions etc) for the same price

Description
Description

edit, i'm saying that just in case anyone is looking on here for recommendations, not not trying to insult the quality

[Edited on 14/9/11 by blakep82]

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

Mr C

posted on 14/9/11 at 08:52 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by blakep82
ooh, thats erm, quite a lot... i'm saying that just in case anyone is looking on here for recommendations, not not trying to insult the quality

No worries Blake, I did look at getting a company to modify a stock tank, I couldn't find one suitable enough. Its difficult to see in the image the space restrictions, the tank had to be that size which is the biggest I could fit in the hole. Also the flexibility to get the mounts in the correct place to line up with the original mounting holes, was important to me so it had to be someone local to me. So I expected to pay a bit more.

In hindsight I would maybe have choosen a less complex car for a first build, than a mid engine twin rad turbo'd thing and go for something with the engine with carbs at the other end. though would it have been so much of a challenge for me

[Edited on 14/9/11 by Mr C]

Girl walks into a bar and asks for a double entendre, so the barman gave her one

RK

posted on 15/9/11 at 02:07 AM Reply With Quote
I totally agree with your assessment of the first build. Mine is what I was able to do with the help and advice (not good advice as it turned out) I had at the beginning. Should have gone MX5 all the way. Nice tanks by the way.
HowardB

posted on 15/9/11 at 02:27 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mr C
I noticed a few threads enquiring about suitable header tanks for their respective projects. I had been looking for one for my subaru engined v-storm and couldn't find one with enough inlets for the twin rads and the right size to fit where I wanted. I also wanted as big as possible to avoid using an expansion tank if possible.

In the end I did a sketch with dimensions and went to Tim and Steve at T&S Fabrication in Staplehurst, Kent. I provided a cnc machined neck and cap from CBS (£15) and a couple of flared pipe joiners for the inlets. Did a great Job, they even tolerated me taking it away half finished and measuring brackets etc to ensure it fitted perfectly and popping it back to complete.

Cost £110 plus the bits from CBS. I thought was good value given the cost of some of the of the shelf alloy ones out there. Plus they are a couple of great blokes, total petrolheads of the two wheeled kind.

Image below

That sounds like an awesome set up, are there any more pictures?

Howard

Fisher Fury was 2000 Zetec - now a 1600 (it Lives again and goes zoom)

Mr C

posted on 15/9/11 at 05:20 PM Reply With Quote
Originally posted by HowardB

That sounds like an awesome set up, are there any more pictures?

I've a blog at scoobystorm.tumblr.com also image of engine below

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.