Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: fitting a car battery on BEC
nickw2000

posted on 31/1/12 at 11:57 AM Reply With Quote
fitting a car battery on BEC

are there any issues with fitting a normal size car battery on a BEC

my fireblade engine is run by the standard small battery but its killed easily with my electric reverse.

i fear it wont start the car up if i use the reverse

so something with bit more amps would work?

matt_gsxr

posted on 31/1/12 at 12:05 PM Reply With Quote
It will work fine with a big battery, just a shame to have to carry around the extra mass
roadrunner

posted on 31/1/12 at 12:53 PM Reply With Quote
Wouldn't fitting two bike battery's be lighter than a car battery.
britishtrident

posted on 31/1/12 at 12:58 PM Reply With Quote
Run the reverse motor off a separate battery with a split charge relay (or better an "intelligent" split charge relay) between the two batteries.

You could also fit a master switch between the two batteries for emergency use

Tanya batteries is a reputable on line supplier of all types of battery. http://www.tayna.co.uk/

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

JoelP

posted on 31/1/12 at 01:02 PM Reply With Quote
How about devising a small lever to raise the revs whilst you use the reverse motor? Ie prevent stalling. Or maybe make it reverse a bit slower to reduce the effort.

Beware! Bourettes is binfectious.

loggyboy

posted on 31/1/12 at 02:01 PM Reply With Quote
Surely just running the reverse motor when the car is running is the answer?
mark chandler

posted on 31/1/12 at 02:04 PM Reply With Quote
The charging load that can be drawn a car battery will fry the regulator, if unlucky it will then move on and fry the generator windings.

NOT RECOMMENDED !

Regards Mark

40inches

posted on 31/1/12 at 02:49 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mark chandler
The charging load that can be drawn a car battery will fry the regulator, if unlucky it will then move on and fry the generator windings.

NOT RECOMMENDED !

Regards Mark

Can this be confirmed
Plenty on here running a car battery with bike engine. I have gone the route suggested by BT.
Should I be worried?

roadrunner

posted on 31/1/12 at 03:11 PM Reply With Quote
I use to use a car battery before I fitted a BEC battery and I had no issues. From memory, the car battery was in for more than a year.
Brad.

mark chandler

posted on 31/1/12 at 03:50 PM Reply With Quote
893 - 919 Fireblade engines are particularly weak in this respect, I have fried more than one regulator as the car is left standing for a long time between runs, same again when I ran one as a road bike.
russbost

posted on 31/1/12 at 04:05 PM Reply With Quote
I've always used an 063 car battery with the ZZR1400 engine in the Furores, never had any charging issues.

I no longer run Furore Products or Furore Cars Ltd, but would still highly recommend them for Acewell dashes, projector headlights, dominator headlights, indicators, mirrors etc, best prices in the UK! Take a look at http://www.furoreproducts.co.uk/ or find more parts on Ebay, user names furoreltd & furoreproducts, discounts available for LCB users.
Don't forget Stainless Steel Braided brake hoses, made to your exact requirements in any of around 16 colours. http://shop.ebay.co.uk/furoreproducts/m.html?_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc=1

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
andyfiggy2002

posted on 31/1/12 at 05:43 PM Reply With Quote
my 2004 megablade kit supplied by the factory came standard with a car battery i assume because it drew more current with a fuel pump, extra lights etc & the bike having such a fragile reg/ rectifier, i didn't fancy hauling all that lead around i switched back to the a bike battery & an uprated reg/rect

[Edited on 1/2/12 by andyfiggy2002]

Proby

posted on 31/1/12 at 06:30 PM Reply With Quote
My 2001 MegaBlade Kit (Full Kit Form inc battery) came with a bike battery? So unless they changed things.

Just get out and push, good exercise!

40inches

posted on 31/1/12 at 06:47 PM Reply With Quote
I would think that charging a flat car battery may stress the charging circuit, mine is always on a maintenance charge so
the engine would only have to keep the batteries topped up. Possibly.

nickw2000

posted on 8/2/12 at 09:19 AM Reply With Quote
People with the same problem as me, with the electric reverse killing the battery, what battery do you have? How many AH? And does it work?
40inches

posted on 8/2/12 at 09:49 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by nickw2000
People with the same problem as me, with the electric reverse killing the battery, what battery do you have? How many AH? And does it work?

I fitted the smallest 330cca battery I could find. Drives the car over a 2x2 easily, not on the road yet, but don't foresee a problem.
Mega Fuse (now 250amp)
Mega Fuse (now 250amp)

nickw2000

posted on 7/3/12 at 07:23 PM Reply With Quote
what battery from odessey is recomended please? for starting the engine with no loss of battery power after using elec reverse?
Custardpants

posted on 7/3/12 at 08:14 PM Reply With Quote
My MK came with a car battery but looking at getting something smaller as my electric reverse has been taken off....
andyfiggy2002

posted on 4/4/12 at 02:59 AM Reply With Quote
westfield specify a car battery for their BEC,s
link

Johneturbo

posted on 4/4/12 at 07:24 AM Reply With Quote
Apart from having an extra tail light, i don't see why you'd need a car battery, apart from having a reverse/heater/wipers/radio
adithorp

posted on 4/4/12 at 07:38 AM Reply With Quote
I've got a Powervamp PV15 (now PVR15 I think). Same sort of output as a 063 but half the size and weight. Been on 4 years now and never let me down. Stands for relativly long periods over winter, is never disconnected with the immobiliser LED going and never fails to fly over. I don't have reverse though but just do what most of us do and avoid reverse situations. They do a nice ally battery carrier as well.

As said running a BEC with a flat battery can fry the charging circuits but using the altermator to charge a discharged battery can do that on any car. They aren't designed to charge flat batteries. Avoid it if at all possible whether its on a BEC a CEKit or a tin-top.

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.