Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Viento rear lights
Irony

posted on 10/3/12 at 09:39 AM Reply With Quote
Viento rear lights

Just starting to think about my rear lights and I got out the set I bought from another locoster. I went to work and scanned them in and copied them, cut them them out and blue tacked them on.

Above is my first thought but I am concerned the my lights on the wings will come under the 350mm IVA rule. The reflectors/fog/reverse on the rear tub should be fine as they only need to be 250mm up.

As below

As you can see my car is up on trestles so it makes the ride height very difficult to work out. Could someone measure the height of the back of the rear tub from the ground on their Viento for me please????

My second problem is the the rear tub on the Viento is not perfectly perpendicular to the floor. If don't think I can get away with this in the IVA. Is there any leeway on this law. I can just make some sort of flange to sit the lights in though.

See the angle.

I started thinking about other layouts I could use and came up with this one

That I think solves the height issues but the indicators almost 45 degrees up which is a bit lame.

If someone could measure the rear tub height for me that would be great? What do people think of the above?

maccmike

posted on 10/3/12 at 10:31 AM Reply With Quote
prefer the first but both look good. sit the car down then measure the 350, might not be as high as you feared
jollygreengiant

posted on 10/3/12 at 02:25 PM Reply With Quote
Every ones car sits at a slightly different height, so that kinda creates a problem. I originally mounted mine where I 'thought' best then, the afternoon (yep a sunday) I went round checking light heights and my rears were FAR to low, so far that even full lift on the suspension did not help, so I had a very mad last minute dash around (halfords the only ones open) to try and work out some forrm of bodge to raise the lamps and fill the holes left by the original mountings.

So my advice to you is bite the bullet, drop it down off the trestles and do the job properly, you have spent ALL this time so far doing it 'right' don't cut corners now or you will regret it later that you didn't take that little bit of extra time and effort to get it right first time.

edit bit.
Oh and when down on the ground don't forget to settle the car, as if it had been driven with you in it, and load the boot as if it has a FULL fuel tank, cos that is how it will be checked

[Edited on 10/3/12 by jollygreengiant]

Beware of the Goldfish in the tulip mines. The ONLY defence against them is smoking peanut butter sandwiches.

rusty nuts

posted on 10/3/12 at 05:05 PM Reply With Quote
I agree with Clive, Drop it, settle the suspension , adjust the ride hieght and fill the tank before cutting any holes
wilkingj

posted on 10/3/12 at 08:43 PM Reply With Quote
Also does the Angle of the rear Fog still matter, it used to have to be upright and not on a slope. Dont know how it needs to be for the IVA.

Agree... put car on floor and measure. Also consider the weight of a full tank of fuel (just some measured weights will do. Cos when its IVA'd it needs a full tank of fuel and will sit a few mm lower (that was the case for the SVA, it hmay have changed - so check this as well. ie dont put them at minimum height unless you are stuck. Of course you can always jack up the ride height if your shocks allow this..

Just my 2d worth..

1. The point of a journey is not to arrive.
2. Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Best Regards
Geoff
http://www.v8viento.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Irony

posted on 11/3/12 at 09:59 AM Reply With Quote
Well in that case I might just wire the lights in and leave cables long enough to move the lights around a bit. Then when I am ready to drop it down I'll cut the holes then.

cheers fellas

l0rd

posted on 11/3/12 at 12:00 PM Reply With Quote
what about raising the suspension?
Irony

posted on 11/3/12 at 12:25 PM Reply With Quote
I have the standard Gaz Shocks that Luego supplied with the kit. They have some height adjustment on them I think. Without having the car on the ground its hard to know where to start. Guess I'll just have to wait until it's off the trestles
tomgregory2000

posted on 11/3/12 at 12:55 PM Reply With Quote
Car 15
Car 15

this is where i put my lights with no height issue

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.