Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Where to fill diff with oil?
HappyFather

posted on 13/3/12 at 07:01 PM Reply With Quote
Where to fill diff with oil?

Daft question

I need to fill the diff (Sierra 3.62 or the likes) with oil. Is the thing marked on the picture the plug I have to open and put oil into or should I load it through the micro-hole in the top of the diff (I think it is a overflow outlet)?

Diff hole for oil?
Diff hole for oil?

(picture from the back of the diff)

Thank you very much for replies!
HappyFather

jacko

posted on 13/3/12 at 07:06 PM Reply With Quote
Yes thats the place in the back cover the small hole is the breather and should have a pipe on it
Jacko

[Edited on 13/3/12 by jacko]

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
BenB

posted on 13/3/12 at 07:38 PM Reply With Quote
Yup, fill it up until the oil is up the that level and job done. Just make sure it's truly up that level, too easy to get some over-spill from messy filling and think it's full when it isn't. Don't ask me how!
If in doubt stick a pinky in the hole and see if you feel the thick gloopy stuff.

bi22le

posted on 13/3/12 at 08:34 PM Reply With Quote
consider yourself lucky that you have access to the filler. I have a cross brace about 30mm from that bolt!

I have to use a custom filler (syringe my paramedic friend perminantly borrowed from the NHS!) and get oil in through the breather.

Empty by pulling out the half shaft!

Track days ARE the best thing since sliced bread, until I get a supercharger that is!

Please read my ring story:
http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/forum/13/viewthread.php?tid=139152&page=1

Me doing a sub 56sec lap around Brands Indy. I need a geo set up! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHksfvIGB3I

HappyFather

posted on 13/3/12 at 08:40 PM Reply With Quote
Thank you all for the answers!

I read somewhere that it should take almost 1l of oil. Bought a 1l bottle, so I expect it will take it all But will use the pinky suggestion to confirm that it's full.

HappyFather

jacko

posted on 13/3/12 at 08:47 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bi22le
consider yourself lucky that you have access to the filler. I have a cross brace about 30mm from that bolt!

I have to use a custom filler (syringe my paramedic friend perminantly borrowed from the NHS!) and get oil in through the breather.

If i remember right if you remove one of the bottom bolts holding the back on it empties the diff oil or is yours not a sierra diff ?
Jacko

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Tiger Super Six

posted on 13/3/12 at 10:37 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by HappyFather
Thank you all for the answers!

I read somewhere that it should take almost 1l of oil. Bought a 1l bottle, so I expect it will take it all But will use the pinky suggestion to confirm that it's full.

HappyFather

It takes 1.5 litres so you will need some more if you are filling from empty.

Mark

Tiger Avon

bi22le

posted on 13/3/12 at 10:44 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jacko
quote:
Originally posted by bi22le

If i remember right if you remove one of the bottom bolts holding the back on it empties the diff oil or is yours not a sierra diff ?
Jacko

No, it is a sierra. Cheers for the tip. I may do this next time although I dont really want to break any gasket seals and create a constant leak.

Track days ARE the best thing since sliced bread, until I get a supercharger that is!

Please read my ring story:
http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/forum/13/viewthread.php?tid=139152&page=1

Me doing a sub 56sec lap around Brands Indy. I need a geo set up! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHksfvIGB3I

HappyFather

posted on 13/3/12 at 11:07 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Tiger Super SixIt takes 1.5 litres so you will need some more if you are filling from empty.

Thank you, Mark! I'll have to make a new trip to the supermarket, then, to buy some more.

HappyFather

laptoprob

posted on 14/3/12 at 07:54 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by HappyFather
quote:
Originally posted by Tiger Super SixIt takes 1.5 litres so you will need some more if you are filling from empty.

Thank you, Mark! I'll have to make a new trip to the supermarket, then, to buy some more.

HappyFather

Am pretty sure that 1.5lts is way too much from memory.

SEE HERE

The Haynes book says 0.9lts i think but cant confirm.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ajlF4nWJtGA

HappyFather

posted on 14/3/12 at 08:25 AM Reply With Quote
Thank you, laptoprob!

I'll fill it with the 1l I have. If it doesn't spill out and the pinky finger fails to reach oil, I'll buy another bottle and top up the thing.

I'll post later how much oil went in, to be of reference for later.

HappyFather

Tiger Super Six

posted on 14/3/12 at 09:35 AM Reply With Quote
I only say that as when I fitted my LSD I was provided with two bottles of oil - the whole of the first bottle went in and then about (I didn't check) half of the second bottle before it started to trickle out.

When I then had it rebuilt, the same applied - will be interested to see.

Mark

Tiger Avon

RichardK

posted on 14/3/12 at 10:27 AM Reply With Quote
You also need to make sure the car is on the level too.

Cheers

Rich

Gallery updated 11/01/2011

Tiger Super Six

posted on 14/3/12 at 01:13 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by RichardK
You also need to make sure the car is on the level too.

Cheers

Rich

For my purposes, yes it was

Mark

Tiger Avon

HappyFather

posted on 1/4/12 at 10:15 AM Reply With Quote
Just to let you know...

I was unable to undo the nut on the diff to put the oil through. I guess it was rusted in place and when the diff was refurbished, it was painted over. WD40 didn't do the trick.

So I just used bi22le's tip and filled it up through the breather hole with a syringe. Since it was a 5cl syringe, it... took... a... while...

Let's hope the 1L is enough, since I can't check if the level is OK. Thank you all for your replies!
HappyFather

rusty nuts

posted on 1/4/12 at 11:53 AM Reply With Quote
Wouldn't be the first time I've welded a nut to a Sierra level plug to be able to remove one, they seemed to get tight even if they had only been done up a few weeks
owelly

posted on 1/4/12 at 01:30 PM Reply With Quote
This got my filler plug out....

http://www.ppcmag.co.uk

HappyFather

posted on 1/4/12 at 04:51 PM Reply With Quote
I can't weld... Not only because I don't have the tools but also because the kitcar is parked under a sprinkler connected to the parking fire extinguish system...
But it's a great idea, if later on I really need to undo that plug! Thank you very much!

HappyFather

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.