Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: STARTER MOTOR FITTING ISSUE
Dooey99

posted on 9/12/12 at 04:37 PM Reply With Quote
STARTER MOTOR FITTING ISSUE

i have just fitted a type 9 gear box from a sierra into my car and am powering it with a 1.8 zetec on bike carbs with a skimmed and polished head. i cannot see how the starter motor will fit... it looks as thought the block gets in the way and only half the hole is showing where the starter fits into to? do you have to cut abit of the block away? do you have to modify the gear box? is this just me being stupid or what i have an LRS707 Starter motor. any help will be greatly appreciated.

austin man

posted on 9/12/12 at 05:30 PM Reply With Quote
Is it a silvertop or blacktop, the silvertop needs a mod on the sump to create a recess for the starter also you need the starter off a 2litre dohc or 1.8 cvh sierra . You can use the pinto sarter but need a 14mm spacer making up to move the starter backwards as it is too long

Life is like a bowl of fruit, funny how all the weird looking ones are left alone

splitrivet

posted on 9/12/12 at 05:40 PM Reply With Quote
If its a Blacktop you have to hack a fair bit off the Ali finning and gearbox mounting face on the sump and have the right starter you can use the original starter but you have to space it a fair bit.
You do realise the starter fits onto the gearbox where it used to not where the Zetec starter fitted, which is a mistake thats been made before.
Cheers,
Bob

I used to be a Werewolf but I'm alright nowwoooooooooooooo

Dooey99

posted on 9/12/12 at 05:57 PM Reply With Quote
It's the black top engine I have does anyone have a picture of there starter motor mounted to the gearbox?
r1_pete

posted on 9/12/12 at 07:12 PM Reply With Quote
starter2
starter2

More in my archive under engine.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
loggyboy

posted on 9/12/12 at 08:58 PM Reply With Quote
Im having to trim my sump at the mo. The standard CVH S/M is too large, even after modification to the sump:

Apparently some aftermarker replacement S/Ms are smaller, so Im now after one of those.

Mistral Motorsport

tims31

posted on 13/12/12 at 12:23 PM Reply With Quote
I've hacked alot of the ali away from my sump to get the CVH starter to fit (I hope as I havent tried it yet). You can see how much I have chopped off Here

HTH

Build: http://www.martinsfurybuild.co.uk/

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.