Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Fitting twin SU’s on smaller capacity engines – easy to tune?
Mr Whippy

posted on 21/2/14 at 09:26 AM Reply With Quote
Fitting twin SU’s on smaller capacity engines – easy to tune?

Hi

I just want to confirm my logic is correct regarding tuning of SU carbs, I suppose some of you may be so young to not even have used these

I have a 2.25ltr petrol landy which currently has a terribly restrictive single downdraft weber and and equally lame manifold. The plan is for some fun to make a couple of twin manifolds and fit 2 SU carbs I have from a 3.5 rover v8 to get some real power out the beast .

My thinking with SU’s is that the only difference in fitting them to a smaller capacity engine than before would be that the carbs pistons would unlikely raise to the top of their stroke (tbh running out of stroke I’d have thought would be more of an issue). I’d imagine that they don’t need the annoying and expensive tuning of jets like Webbers? Just bolt on and fine tune the mixture screw, but am I right?

I’m not looking at increasing the top end rpm (might fit a limiter anyway though it has a forged 5 bearing crank) but these engines are extremely restricted by the factory spec manifolds despite actually having very large 45mm inlet valves and I’ve ported the head too as Landrover made an arse of that. Going from info on the web I should see it go from less than 60bhp to around 100bhp or more (oh my poor drum brakes!)

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
theconrodkid

posted on 21/2/14 at 09:39 AM Reply With Quote
i had the same problem with one of my landies,my solution was to make a manifold the fit a single 1 1/2 SU.worked pretty well.

who cares who wins
pass the pork pies

r1_pete

posted on 21/2/14 at 09:47 AM Reply With Quote
Not quite that easy on an experimental basis.

Yes there is only one jet, and its size is fixed, for example all HS8s have 0.1" main jets, HD8s have 1.25" Main jets, I know this because I have lots of them for the jag engines, and have done a lot of research.

The variable with these carbs is the needle, you can get needles with all sorts of different tapers, to regulate the mixture at the differing piston heights.

You say you might not get the piston to rise fully, the problem here is you are reducing the amount of needle which is used to control the mixture across the rev range.

So the first thing is to make sure the carbs match the engine, and you do get good piston lift across the rev range.

Then tune the mixture by changing the needles, there is a handbook available from Burlen, which gives details of needle tapers.

The 2 x 1 3/4" SUs might be a bit big for you relatively slow revving engine, and probably wont generate the vacuum and air speed to get the pistons to the top of their stroke, 2 x 1.5" would be nearer the mark.

I'm sure there is an SU carbs book in the Haynes range, and Des Hamils wrote one I think, I do have his Jaguar XK tuning book, which covers quitte a bit about SUs and needles, I can scan the relavent bits for you into a pdf next week if you like.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Peteff

posted on 21/2/14 at 10:38 AM Reply With Quote
It will not make any difference to the performance of the engine fitting whatever carbs you like, it will still be a petrol guzzling antique with the acceleration of an overweight tortoise. Fit a 200tdi engine and diffs and have something you can use and enjoy. Other than that SU carbs are relatively simple but needle choice is critical and they are not cheap to buy if you want a few to experiment with. A friend of mine who put them on his old Ford engine tried modifying the needles by filing them to alter the profile where he needed more fuel and it worked. I helped with a series IIA build a few years ago and after it went on the road with the petrol engine it was a matter of months (with fuel consumption sometimes getting as high as 15mpg but usually in single figures) that it had a diesel transplant.

[Edited on 21/2/14 by Peteff]

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

Benzine

posted on 21/2/14 at 11:21 AM Reply With Quote

ali f27

posted on 21/2/14 at 11:23 AM Reply With Quote
Hi i have run 2 1.5s 0n 970 cooper s we raced many years ago so dont see the prob with 2.25 landy engine main thing is to get them balanced well has landy got siamese ports you should be able to get it going not bad by adjusting nut on bottom moving jet up and down on needle in an ideal world i would use 1.5s but if you already have 1.75s why not good luck interested in outcome.
Cheers Ali

jacko

posted on 21/2/14 at 12:20 PM Reply With Quote
twin SU carbs/2
twin SU carbs/2
twin SU carbs/1
twin SU carbs/1

Hi as said above you can get different jets the photo above is my 2l pinto with two su carbs off 1000cc minis and a home made manifold
It took quite a time to get them to run right and set up
I had them fitted for about 2 years then changed them for bike carbs which works on the same principle as the SU's
Graham

[Edited on 21/2/14 by jacko]

[Edited on 21/2/14 by jacko]

Mr Whippy

posted on 21/2/14 at 02:08 PM Reply With Quote
Good advice there thanks

^ nice installation on the pinto

There is also zero chance of me fitting a clattering stinky diesel in my landy, can't stand them, they just sound like a horrible old tractor

[Edited on 21/2/14 by Mr Whippy]

MikeRJ

posted on 21/2/14 at 02:39 PM Reply With Quote
A single 1.75 SU won't be restrictive until you start approaching 100bhp, so would be more than adequate for the old 2.25L Landy boat anchor. Twin 1.75" SUs will be overkill, if you must have twin carbs then 1.5" SU's would be more suitable.
Mr Whippy

posted on 21/2/14 at 03:09 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MikeRJ
A single 1.75 SU won't be restrictive until you start approaching 100bhp, so would be more than adequate for the old 2.25L Landy boat anchor. Twin 1.75" SUs will be overkill, if you must have twin carbs then 1.5" SU's would be more suitable.

Yeah that seems to be the general feeling of everyone and I'm now thinking the same, plus the twin manifolds are very easy for me to fabricate otherwise I'd have to butcher the orginal landy manifold which is a piece of sh*t anyaway.

The landys engine is actually a lot more powerful than the 60bhp makes it sound, it just doesn't rev very fast but even my little 88 can haul a 3.5 ton trailer at over 50mph. It should be easily smoking the tires once I've finished with it

19sac65

posted on 21/2/14 at 04:43 PM Reply With Quote
it picks up slowly because its got a long stroke crank and a heavy flywheel,all the things that are important on an off road vehicle - everything is done for torque
you may get it breathing better with porting but it wont change the character of it - and ignition is as, if not more, important
whats the point in putting loads of fuel in if the valves,cam and ign is the same
i was talking to someone earlier whos helping rebuild and tune a gt6 engine
thrown a fortune at it - i mean thousands - and at the end of the day its still an old long stroke 60s pig,no matter whats bolted to it
my last 2 1/4 landy had the weber carb upgrade,it was more economical,ran better and although no more powerful - it felt it because it ran properly
if it were mine ide go 200tdi or the perkins prima from the montego td
both will leave the weezey petrol standing on power and do 30mpg
if your adamant on petrol,stick a ford v6 in it
if you want to stick with what you have , sell your SUs and buy a nice new weber,jetted for that engine and an electronic ign kit
obviously all in my humble opinion

[Edited on 21/2/14 by 19sac65]

mark chandler

posted on 21/2/14 at 09:38 PM Reply With Quote
SU is a far superior carburettor compared to a weber, correctly set up they are great.

You will probably get quite close out the box, twin SU's will be a bit wasted as the engine is at such a low state of tune, I would take the original manifold, chop the top and bottom off the boxy bit including the heat bowl then weld an adaptor on the side, you can grind the insides to quite a good shape.

You will need to chop off the top of the exhaust manifold and cap to create a decent air gap, I did this with good success using a mig welder and a 3mm mild steel plate you do need to heat in a barbecue, quickly weld and pop back so it cools as the charcoal burns down or the welds will crack. The carb will also need a heat shield from a bit of old tin or the fuel will boil.

Regards Mark

Mr Whippy

posted on 21/2/14 at 10:57 PM Reply With Quote
tbh I always liked the SU over a weber, its a much neater and smarter design also flows so well when fully open

I know the in thing at the moment is to fit the 200tdi but having been in a series with one fitted I thought it was just a horrid racket. My landy is not my daily car its a fun toy when the weather is nice, hood off, screen down nothing could spoil it more than a noisy diesel, mpg? frankly I couldn't give a monkeys.

however it does sound like the v8's su's will be to large for that engine and I'll have a look for a couple of smaller ones. jacko, your set up looks very like what I'm thinking including the manifold design, good idea using mini ones

cheers

jacko

posted on 22/2/14 at 09:18 AM Reply With Quote
twin SU carbs/3
twin SU carbs/3

And another photo for you sir
It may help you with how to do the cable etc
Graham

Benzine

posted on 22/2/14 at 11:56 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mr Whippy
nothing could spoil it more than a noisy diesel

quote:
There is also zero chance of me fitting a clattering stinky diesel in my landy, can't stand them, they just sound like a horrible old tractor

Mr Whippy

posted on 24/2/14 at 07:36 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Benzine
quote:
nothing could spoil it more than a noisy diesel

quote:

obviously you are a diesel lover...

cliftyhanger

posted on 24/2/14 at 08:09 AM Reply With Quote
You can also change the damper springs in the su carbs. IIRC there are 3 different strengths, dependant on carb model I expect.
Soft springs will obviouslyvallow the damper/piston to rise more.
Try the "mintylamb" website where you will find a few guides, including one where you can compare needle profiles.
There used to be a programming kicking around the internet that could predict needle choice based on a raft of inputs from you. Winsu or something.
Or try the landy forums. I am never afraid to pinch/borrow other peoples research/work.

britishtrident

posted on 24/2/14 at 08:42 AM Reply With Quote
Really you don't want to go down the twin SU route
The SU was a brilliant design in 1920. Single SUs were OK until the end of the carbe era but they were unreliable the pistons stick, the jets and needles wear, the float valves wore out and leaked, on the HS variants the plastic tube between the float chamber used to fail and spray petrol over the exhaust. and a lot of the 1970s and 1980s sub-variants especially those with the Waxstat jet were crap.

The best SU models were the ones with the annular float chambers built into the main body of the carb, similar to the the Zenith-Stromberg CD and Bing

Twin SUs are a constant fiddle to keep running properly even when jetted perfectly.

A single 1.75 SU would be more than adequate for your engine and a lot easier to get running properly

Also if you fabricate your own manifold don't forget to build in a balance tube to join the two inlets.

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.