Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: 2.0 Zetec rattling tappets!!???
chrismojo

posted on 10/3/14 at 10:03 PM Reply With Quote
2.0 Zetec rattling tappets!!???

Hi all I am reaching out for help here I have built a 2.0 zetec engine there has always been a tappet noise since I started the engine but after a rolling road session the noise is unbearable it isn't affecting power.

My only guess so far is that during the replacement of the standard cams to kent cams (focus 1) the solid lifters should have been shimmed although there is no mention of this has anyone else experienced these problems with a zetec build?

adithorp

posted on 10/3/14 at 10:24 PM Reply With Quote
Are you saying you replaced the cams but didn't re-shim the followers to set the tappet clearance... and now it rattles?

I think you might have answered your own question.

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

cs3tcr

posted on 10/3/14 at 10:25 PM Reply With Quote
Unless the motor has hydraulic lifters, you always check the clearance when installing new/different cams. Most cams are supposed to be ground to stock base circle sizes, but they can vary. If it were me I would pull the cam cover and check the clearances to be sure. It shouldn't take more than an hour or so to check the clearances, but if you have to re-shim, then you're looking at a bit more time.
chrismojo

posted on 10/3/14 at 10:30 PM Reply With Quote
Yeah unfortunately having previously installed a series 1 zetec with hydraulic followers I now have fitted a series 3 Zetec with solid lifters do you know whether it shims i have to replace or is it the whole bucket in either case I can't seem to find anywhere to source them.

But aside from this we did get 160hp at the wheels at only 4500 rpm

Nickp

posted on 10/3/14 at 10:48 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by chrismojo
But aside from this we did get 160hp at the wheels at only 4500 rpm

Sounds a tad optimistic to me, especially if the valve clearances are all over the place. In fact more than a tad. 160 @ the wheels would be over 200 @ flywheel depending on txmn losses, from a NA 2.0? Unless it does have forced induction?

[Edited on 10/3/14 by Nickp]

Nickp

posted on 10/3/14 at 10:51 PM Reply With Quote
Which it has, just read your avatar DOH!!

[Edited on 10/3/14 by Nickp]

adithorp

posted on 10/3/14 at 10:54 PM Reply With Quote
You need to measure the clearance then the current shim thickness, calculate the required thickness shim and fit.

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

scutter

posted on 11/3/14 at 09:31 AM Reply With Quote
shimming chart
shimming chart

Try this table, it'ss help you work out what's needed, the blacktop runs shims on the top of the tappets. You can get them from ford for not too much money (£2-3 each)

Regards Dan.

The less I worked, the more i liked it.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.