Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Viento Rear Wheels
Sterillium

posted on 16/6/16 at 06:42 PM Reply With Quote
Viento Rear Wheels

As my search for a Viento continues, I've noticed that the rear wheels seem to sit slightly inside the rear arches, whereas the front wheels generally seem to fill the smaller front arches.

Is there a reason?

Does anyone use wheel spacers to fill the rear arches?

Or are there wider tyres to do this?

jollygreengiant

posted on 16/6/16 at 07:28 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Sterillium
As my search for a Viento continues, I've noticed that the rear wheels seem to sit slightly inside the rear arches, whereas the front wheels generally seem to fill the smaller front arches.

Is there a reason?

Does anyone use wheel spacers to fill the rear arches?

Or are there wider tyres to do this?

The rear wheel arches on a Viento are Wwwwwiiiiide compared to most Sevens. The rear suspension is Sierra/Granada (the width is the same believe it or not) which tends to leave a short fall to the edge of the rear wing. This is usually catered for by either getting special off-set wheels (tends to be expensive with the LARGE off-set required) OR by bolt on spacers (OR a combination of both, but not so expensive on the off-set required).

Front wheels do not tend to be so wide, mainly because extra width just add to the weight of the steering, and, finding really wide front wheel arch's is a P.I.T.A. (and also expensive). Really wide front wheels also throw a lot more debris and water up towards the driver (and the same can be said for the rears too).

Also having wheels/tyres that protrude beyond the wheel arches is basically a no - no at SVA or IVA (which ever is current).

Hope this helps clear the mud a bit.

Beware of the Goldfish in the tulip mines. The ONLY defence against them is smoking peanut butter sandwiches.

Sterillium

posted on 16/6/16 at 07:34 PM Reply With Quote
I hadn't thought of the SVA angle...

I'd just prefer them to fill the arches, not extend out. Maybe I'll explore spacers when I'm hunting for bonnets.

SteveWallace

posted on 16/6/16 at 07:53 PM Reply With Quote
I used a combination of 50mm spacers and wheels with a slightly larger than usual off-set. I cannot remember the spec for the off-set but if you want to know I can probably dig it out from the depths of my build file.

If your going to use 50mm spacers, its worth getting the ones with their own wheel studs as just replacing the studs on the existing hubs with ones that are 50mm longer to go all the way through the spacers probably isn't a good idea.

Pojo

posted on 17/6/16 at 02:36 AM Reply With Quote
Using 30 mm spacers and16x 7 inch rear rims using an ET-15 offset, this fills the arches perfectly and should not rub. The spacers were not cheap, around £115 a pair if I remember correctly. These will be wide enough to fit 225 wide tyres should. Hope it helps
Good luck with search

B33fy

posted on 17/6/16 at 07:10 AM Reply With Quote
I know what you mean, it's not a good look. 9x17 rims 13 offset (lowest available) limited choice of suitable wheels though TD 1.2s are a popular.choice. Add 16 mm hub centric spacers and that does the trick. You need the spacer otherwise the. Tyre rubs the inner chassis slightly. 7 inch wide rears for a Viento looks a little undertyred IMO. Could go another 5mm or so on the spacer though it may be pushing it with the clearance. Kenton also runs a very similar setup.

Factor in around £1k for a decent setup.

Image here not brilliant but gives you an idea https://flic.kr/p/G23gac

[Edited on 17/6/16 by B33fy]

[Edited on 17/6/16 by B33fy]

Pojo

posted on 17/6/16 at 10:10 AM Reply With Quote
Whilst I agree that 7" is a little narrow my second hand Caterham wheels and spacers only set me back £265. As the car is so light getting heat in wide rear tyres is very difficult. Much rather have warm narrower tyres than cold wide. Only be putting out around 250 bhp so I think 225 will work. Time will tell
NeilP

posted on 17/6/16 at 04:49 PM Reply With Quote
From memory:

25mm hub centric spacers with their own studs as Steve suggested (Rally Design - not cheap)
0mm offset of the rears (can't remember the width) running 255 rubber on 17" TD1.2s
It's a good look if you can fill the arch and given power to weight, a slightly wider boot (and an LSD) helps enormously...

If you pay peanuts...
Mentale, yar? Yar, mentale!
Drive it like you stole it!

Sterillium

posted on 17/6/16 at 05:02 PM Reply With Quote
Any links to suitable spacers, wheels etc?
steve m

posted on 17/6/16 at 05:10 PM Reply With Quote
or fit slimmer arches ?

Thats was probably spelt wrong, or had some grammer, that the "grammer police have to have a moan at

Sterillium

posted on 17/6/16 at 05:15 PM Reply With Quote
*runs screaming with an angle grinder above my head*
NeilP

posted on 17/6/16 at 05:35 PM Reply With Quote
I'll dig out my files later and get the specs.

If you pay peanuts...
Mentale, yar? Yar, mentale!
Drive it like you stole it!

Irony

posted on 17/6/16 at 06:21 PM Reply With Quote
I waited four years for a set of tyres to come up secondhand that are the right fitment for a Viento. They are 295/40/17. I am not one to use modern sayings but I think they look 'phat'.

Steve Wallace bought a new set not to long ago so he'll have exact details.

Description
Description

Luego.2.0

posted on 19/6/16 at 12:06 PM Reply With Quote
I have team dynamics on mine with no spacers running 235 /40/17 big offset on wheels

Veinto 2.0 black top.
Jenevy throttle bodies
Omex ecu

B33fy

posted on 19/6/16 at 04:10 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Any links to suitable spacers, wheels etc?

Spacers are generic as long as you have the correct pcd for your hub (wheel stud spacing) for a Sierra it's 4x108. Use hub centric ones which centralise on the hub correctly and also ensure they have a machined lip for the wheel to locate on with the correct centre bore. 63.4mm for a Sierra.

I fitted a staggered set of team dynamics 1.2's, 17x 9 rear 17 x 7 front. The centre bores were machined to the correct size, if this isn't possible, you can use spigot rings. Don't rely on the bolts only to locate the wheel.

My rears were 13 offset, the biggest I could get. The bigger the number the further in the wheel goes.Aim for an offset of around 0 to -10

Hope this helps.

[Edited on 19/6/16 by B33fy]

Sterillium

posted on 12/3/17 at 10:05 PM Reply With Quote
Would these 50mm spacers should do the trick then?

Ford KA, Focus Hubcentric 50mm wheel spacers Bolt On Type 4x108 PCD 63.4CB

I'm not sure I'd want any more than 50mm to be honest!

I'm still confused with wheels though, the Viento I am currently looking at has 8x15 on the rear and 7x13 on the front.

Is it not possible to have four wheels the same size? (My old TVR always had larger rears).

Can someone give me an idiots guide / direct link to some wheels & tyres I could bolt on to the back (to go on top of 50mm spacers) and also some links or measurements for the front, as direct replacements.

Basically I want to get some nice wheels, but I keep getting confused which sizes will actually work.

B33fy

posted on 12/3/17 at 11:09 PM Reply With Quote
You could have 4 the same size, 7x15's or similar but the back looks undertyred, go bigger and you'll have problems fitting them under the front cycle wings. Anything less than 15" diameter rims would also look a bit daft on the car.. You also need to consider brake caliper clearance. I went for 17" rims with 40 profile tyres. There are charts on the web if you want smaller rims and the same rolling radius or overall diameter so you can make comparisons.

Unfortunately there is no straight forward answer, I would check the offset of the front tyres decide what diameter rims you want then go from there. Usually 35-38mm the same for fords. Look to see if suitable rear rims are available in the style you want. 50mm spacers sounds a bit big tbh. There are also wheel offset calculators on line which are helpful. I currently run 9x17 with 255/40 tyres. The wheel offset is 13 the lowest I could get for the brand of wheel. I have 20mm spacers so the face of the wheel fills out the wheel arch. The total offset for my rears is -7mm. If you run 7 inch wide rims with a zero offset you would need 30mm spacers (for a -30mm offset) to fill out the wheel arch.

Have a play with the online calculators and get an idea of the wheels/tyre combo you want to run then post up again, for an idea if they will work or not.

Sterillium

posted on 12/3/17 at 11:19 PM Reply With Quote
I'm struggling to work out the offset of the wheels I'm looking to buy.

Seems that often there's no mention of offset.

(Also I am mathematically stupid).

B33fy

posted on 12/3/17 at 11:41 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
I'm struggling to work out the offset of the wheels I'm looking to buy.

Seems that often there's no mention of offset.

(Also I am mathematically stupid).

Offset is a standard measurement so if they are like for like then they will fit. You choose the offset you want and the wheels are machined accordingly within certain limits. What wheels are you looking to buy and what diameter and width?

Sterillium

posted on 12/3/17 at 11:49 PM Reply With Quote
The car I'm looking at has 8x15 and 7x13s on it, don't know tyre sizes but they are quite dull Cobra alloys. I'd like something nicer to set the (as yet unbought!) car off, plus fill up the rear arches better.

I'm just trying to get my head around what I can replace them with (that are nicer) and how to get the wheeled filling the rear arches nicely.

Sterillium

posted on 13/3/17 at 01:25 PM Reply With Quote
Ok... these are the type of wheel I would like:

13" WESTFIELD KIT CAR PRO RACE 1.2 MATT BLACK ALLOY WHEELS & TOYO R888r TYRES

I guess I will need to contact them to ask for two different sized pairs (wider at the rear) but the offset is listed as ET23 - I'm lost with that.

If I wanted to get these wheels onto my car, 15s front and back, but wider at the back AND with spacers to fill the arch, what would I be ordering???

(help!)

Irony

posted on 13/3/17 at 02:03 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Irony

Steve Wallace bought a new set not to long ago so he'll have exact details.

Try sending Steve a U2U

[Edited on 13/3/17 by Irony]

Edwardo

posted on 13/3/17 at 02:23 PM Reply With Quote
How about some 15" XXR 527 rims?:-

http://www.japshop.co.uk/acatalog/XXR-527-15-INCH.html

Not a Viento I know, but I'm building a wide Robin Hood 2B and also wanted the 'fat' look when it comes to wheels/tyres. I chose the XXR 527's in 15" size, 8.25J width and they come with offset of 0 so they fill right out to the wheel arches. Also pretty good value at £90/corner I thought. I went for the Chrome/black finish but nearly went for the flat black which also looks great. Currently got 205's on them but they are a little 'stretched'. Rims will easily take a much wider tyre if that's your bag.

Just a thought anyway - here are a couple of pics:-

Cheers
Tony

[img][/img]

mcerd1

posted on 13/3/17 at 03:12 PM Reply With Quote
sound like the same sort of sizes as the wide option on the sierra based dax rush

Dax used to recommend 8.5" to 9.5" wide rims with zero offsets - which is dead easy to get if you buy the image split rims they were offering

Compomotive are one of the few that actually make zero offset versions of some wheels, but they also do a lot of small offset ones too [ET10, ET15 etc...]

http://www.comp.co.uk/wheels/wheels.asp?size=motorsport-wheels-16-13

I don't think Team dynamics have any with that low an offset (off the shelf at least), but at least they make it clear what offsets they can offer.
try the motorsport range if your not getting what you want in the aftermarket ones:
http://www.rimstock.com/content/pro-race-12

I got borbet ones for my dax 9.0x16" on the back (7.5x16" fronts) some of there older styles still have the deep dish / small offset - but the best I could get was ET15 so some 15mm hubcentric spacers bring that back to ET0 (having said that wheels with ET20 or 25 would have been easier to get spacers for - especially with my 5 stud granada hubs....)
unfortunately they don't make these older styles very often these days

-

Sterillium

posted on 13/3/17 at 06:45 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Edwardo
How about some 15" XXR 527 rims?:-

http://www.japshop.co.uk/acatalog/XXR-527-15-INCH.html

Not a Viento I know, but I'm building a wide Robin Hood 2B and also wanted the 'fat' look when it comes to wheels/tyres. I chose the XXR 527's in 15" size, 8.25J width and they come with offset of 0 so they fill right out to the wheel arches. Also pretty good value at £90/corner I thought. I went for the Chrome/black finish but nearly went for the flat black which also looks great. Currently got 205's on them but they are a little 'stretched'. Rims will easily take a much wider tyre if that's your bag.

Just a thought anyway - here are a couple of pics:-

Cheers
Tony

[img][/img] [/quote

They look AWESOME - I love them...

I think they are exactly what I would want.

On a Viento, with an offset of 0 - what sized spacers would fill the arches do we think?

Also: How wide can I go on Viento rear tyres without them fouling?

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.