Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: What WHP?
jossey

posted on 31/12/18 at 10:26 PM Reply With Quote
Bailey built my zetec turbo engine. Can highly recommend.

I will use them again.

Thanks

David Johnson

Building my tiger avon slowly but surely.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
jeffw

posted on 1/1/19 at 07:29 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jossey
300 isn't usable. Loads of people I know including myself have reduced power to make them work better. Mine was 300 and we reduced to 269hp at the flywheel too not wheels. 220 to 230 at wheels is enough for me. Having only done around 30 trackdays but I've had kit cars for 8 years or so.

Its a totally different monster. I've had m3, 540i, 435i, AMG merc, vr6 and many other fast cars and non are anything like the westfield even with 269hp. I have mates with 200 who can chase me down on the road as the turbo power is not linear enough.

Aim for a nice linear power line and 220 and you will be blown away.

David

400BHP produced by a Rotrex is perfectly usable.

jossey

posted on 1/1/19 at 10:48 AM Reply With Quote
Jeffw.

I can't comment on that sorry I've not driven one. What I know is from caterham and westfield drivers who either race or do fast trackdays say the sweet spot is around 220 to 240. Don't get me wrong in the dry my westfield was great fun and after Bailey improved the progressive power it was OK.

Then there is the damage to the body. I had to strengthen mine to take 269 on boost. Chassis twisted. Then the crown wheel on the diff rounded so new lsd. Then the prop shaft broke which was from D and f in Leeds so new landy one made. Then a half shaft broke so put standard ones back on then other went. So 2 new at 800 quid a pair for rs ones made up. Then the clutch started to go. Then the rear diff mounts twisted. Then the rear arms of the axle ripped off. So after fixing all that it was fine.

I guess this is the same as a lot of discussions here it's about driver skill which I've only done 60 or 70 in my life so can't say I have good experience and 400hp would likely kill me haha.

I had a busa mk car on loan for a day think that was 220hp
and 500kg ish that was great fun best car I've driven.

That said I want an ecoboost with 350hp haha

[Edited on 1/1/19 by jossey]

Thanks

David Johnson

Building my tiger avon slowly but surely.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Gord

posted on 6/10/19 at 09:38 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by DavidhMX5
Gord - Agree with everything on your list except not changing rods. While in there I want to remove the weak point in the engine as rods at limit around 250. I anticipate the car will see a fair amount of track action and rebuilding after a thrown rod would be expensive. Worth it for peace of mind to me. Pistons should be good for 300 so a good margin of safety there and can stay as long as I don't find any horrors in the bores when I get in there.

Dave, did you get around to fitting a turbo, if so how did it go?

DavidhMX5

posted on 8/10/19 at 06:49 PM Reply With Quote
No, complete change of direction.
I now have a GBS Zero sat in my garage being built (Gen 2 chassis).
Decided fabricating all the parts was just too much like my day job.
Zero has all the upgrades including front end wishbones, calipers and discs. Rear fully adjustable rose joint. Unique atm as the rear upgrade hasn't been released yet.
Engine will be with me in a couple of weeks, Duratec I4 2.5ltr mated to mx5 mk3 gearbox (both new).
Diff has a J3 Driveline plate type LSD.
Everything on the car other than the diff casing is new so will be a new reg.
Initially will be using TBs normally aspirated but have plans to add a rotrex supercharger if I need more ponies.
Should be on the road middle of next summer.
I haven't written about in on here as definitely not a lowcost option.

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.