Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Audi 1.8T donor car for middy
Trev Borg

posted on 2/7/22 at 06:31 AM Reply With Quote
Audi 1.8T donor car for middy

After a long period away doing stuff, I am hopefully getting my arse back in gear and attempting to get one on my midtec Spyders going.
To this end, I would like to source a donor car for the parts I need.
Would like and Audi 1.8T with 2 wheel drive transaxle, drive shafts, loom and clocks.
The obvious choice would be an a4, a6 or Passat from the early 2000's, but these are looking a bit hard to find.
Audi TT's seem to be everywhere though.
Are there any issues I would have using the TT engine and just fitting a RWD box and shafts?
I was thinking sumps shape and such stuff

Before you judge a man, walk a mile in his shoes.

By that time, who cares.

You're a mile away, and you've got his shoes

Big T

posted on 3/7/22 at 11:17 AM Reply With Quote
I think this is a great idea and I have currently been putting together a parts list to complete a 1.8 20V Turbo in my roadster. I have a very small amount of knowledge on the 20V Turbo, but i thought i might share it just in case any of it is any help.

I think the best engine code for the transverse engine conversions is the AEB, This is found in the very early Passat, A4 and A6 from 1995 to 1999. I think this is the most preferred because it has the cable throttle and not the DBW set up, has an external water pump, big channel head and has the 20mm pistons (much like the BAM). However this is only the 150 model.

I had a TT for a number of years running 280ish with the BAM engine, i ran the thing up to just over 200k and then sold it to a friend who is still running it. I think they are a fantastic engine (although i have the V6 version now which i think is a fantastic engine also). We have installed an AEB into a MK2 golf, all we did was take the sump, pickup and inlet manifold (might have been more, i cant quite remember) out of a transverse 20VT and swap it onto the AEB engine. If it is possible to do it that way i would have thought it would be possible to do it the other way around.

My personal approach if i do my conversion will be to obtain an A4, Passat or A6 with the Longitudinally mounted 1.8T engines, although apparently the Beetle also has a Longitudinally mounted 1.8T, bolt that up to a RX8 gearbox and then take the K04 off of a 225 TT/S3/CupraR which should take it up to around give scope for a reliable mid to high 200hp.

I watched a 1999 1.8T A4 go on eBay this week at just over £500, so they still exist.

I will follow closely because i am a fan of these engines.

Trev Borg

posted on 3/7/22 at 11:57 AM Reply With Quote
https://www.bar-tek-tuning.com/1.8t-engine-codes

list of longitudinal engines

a few to choose from, but a bit rare to find. Loads of cheap TT's about with the BAM engine. I have loads of space in the back of the Midtec, and height isn't a problem either.

Don't suppose you still have the AEB pickup sump and manifold left

I would be more that happy with 200bfp, in the middle of of my little car

By that time, who cares.

Russell

posted on 6/7/22 at 10:16 AM Reply With Quote
I've got an ex-VW Passat 1.8T AEB engine and transaxle with OEM loom painstakingly cut down and re-made to lose unwanted length and unnecessary cores. The ECU is remapped to take the 1.8T to circa 190bhp and has had the immobiliser removed so it doesn't need the original key or clocks but is otherwise standard so retains the OBD to use with VAGCOM for ease of maintenance etc.

The engine has about 100k miles on it and came out of a running car that I drove around in for a week or so to check it was fine. I've fitted a new timing belt, water pump, oil pump, turbo oil feed and return pipes, aux belt, various sensors, deleted the aircon and power steering, and probably much other stuff I can't remember now.

All the above is currently in a project Spire GTR. I would prefer to sell the whole project but may consider letting the engine/transaxle/ECU/loom etc. go as a separate sale. I don't have a price in mind but let me know if this package could be of interest.

Russ

Trev Borg

posted on 6/7/22 at 04:08 PM Reply With Quote
Bought a 2005 A4 1.8T last night and dragged it home. Not sure about condition of the engine as it has had some timing issues. Its 163 bhp BFB engine. Should be a good donor for gearbox drive shafts wiring ecu turbo if nothing else. Also hoping to offload some bits to recoup the cost

By that time, who cares.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.