Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Oil catcher is it worth it ?
dellyend1

posted on 6/9/23 at 07:34 PM Reply With Quote
Oil catcher is it worth it ?

Hello all, I have a 1.6 n/a Toyota engine from 1989 in my car and as bought it us the rocker cover breather pipe plumbed into an independent oil catcher. Now I know that recirculating the vented gas/ moisture / oil from the rocker breather back into the manifold is not a good idea but is it better / compliant with UK regs to just use a rocker breather filter to air the cover gases rather than feed into the oil catcher. It’s a little bit of a faff to empty the catcher etc

Thanks in advance

[Edited on 6/9/23 by dellyend1]

adithorp

posted on 7/9/23 at 09:30 AM Reply With Quote
Just a breather/filter open to atmosphere tends to be messy. A good proportion of the oil you currently have to drain from the catch tank, will be deposited around the engine/bay from the filter.
coyoteboy

posted on 7/9/23 at 09:52 AM Reply With Quote
Can't speak for your engine, but I put a baffled, metal foil filled catch can on a 3SGTE PCV output, and the only time it caught any significant amount of oil was when I blew a ringland. The rest of the time it gathered about 5ml per oil change. I concluded I did not give two hoots about this little oil and routed it back to the intake. Don't go vent-to-atmosphere though, this is a performance degradation as you won't be applying a vacuum to the crankcase so you'll have increased windage losses and higher pumping losses. PCV is another good thing that well meaning folk remove thinking that it's emissions evil.

[Edited on 7/9/2023 by coyoteboy]

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.