Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Zetec Valve Springs
I love speed :-P

posted on 5/2/05 at 06:05 PM Reply With Quote
Zetec Valve Springs

I have recently acquired some Kent cams for my Zetec, and they came with some new springs, however when looking at it to day, it appears that the cylinder head needs to be removed to replace these springs, is this true or is there a better (i.e. not removing the cylinder head) way of doing it?

Thanks Very Much

Philip Moreton

Don't Steal
The Government doesn’t like the competition

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
rusty nuts

posted on 5/2/05 at 08:23 PM Reply With Quote
It probably is possible to replace the valve springs without removing the cyliinder head. You need to get hold of a tool to enable you to lever down the collar and remove the collets . Remove cams then use compressed in through an adaptor screwed into the spark plug hole to hold the valves shut, do cylinders no 1 and 4 with the pistons at T.D.C . then rotate crank to lift pistons 2 and 3 to T.D.C . Have not tried this on a zetec but have used this method on other 16 valve engines with no problem. Rusty
macspeedy

posted on 5/2/05 at 08:41 PM Reply With Quote
the old trick of rope in the plug hole then turn the engine till it compressed the rope and change the spring then. Did this at the roadside once when the beetle broke down 150km from anywhere. The luck was that i had some in the toolbox.

rusty nuts

posted on 5/2/05 at 08:55 PM Reply With Quote
If only everything in life was as reliable as a Volkswagen?
mangogrooveworkshop

posted on 5/2/05 at 10:43 PM Reply With Quote
Sorry bout the thread highjack

quote:
Originally posted by rusty nuts
If only everything in life was as reliable as a Volkswagen?
When you have a bug that was as old as myself and stick a young punk behind the wheel ....brought up on company three litre cortina pickups some things got to give............we used em cause the didnt get stolen from the beach as much as a golf gti. No self respecting car thief wanted to run around in a baja bug........ See upgraded feetle

[Edited on 5-2-05 by mangogrooveworkshop] Rescued attachment Feetle.jpg
Rescued attachment Feetle.jpg

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.