Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Cast inlet manifold - 4AGE - GSXr T/B's
blockhead_rich

posted on 24/11/05 at 09:18 PM Reply With Quote
Cast inlet manifold - 4AGE - GSXr T/B's

Hi folks

Just wondered if anyone would be interested in a cast inlet manifold for the 4AGE engine as I'm currently in the process of designing and having cast. Jpeg below shows progress to date. I aim to get a rapid prototype made first so that I can check the fit and it will negate the need to change the centre distance on eht T/B's too. My engine has the TVIS head but I could also make one for the later too if there was enough interest.

Please let me know what you think and if you are interested, oh and what would be a reasonable price.
Rich

blockhead_rich

posted on 24/11/05 at 09:19 PM Reply With Quote
Inlet manifold for GSXr 600 T/
Inlet manifold for GSXr 600 T/

Now I've figured how to attach the image!

oliwb

posted on 24/11/05 at 09:39 PM Reply With Quote
Good luck doing a similar thing for bike carbs on a pinto and so far had quotes of £600 to have a rapid proto-type made! Taking a different approach now and having the pipes induction bent and welding them onto the machined back plate. Let me knoe if you find someone willing to do it cheaper though.....Oli.

If your not living life on the edge you're taking up too much room!

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
James

posted on 24/11/05 at 09:49 PM Reply With Quote
Have a look at Rob Lane's site. (he's on here).
Tubes welded to plate has gotta be a damn site cheaper/easier than getting a one-off casting!

Cheers,
James

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The fight is won or lost far away from witnesses, behind the lines, in the gym and out there on the road, long before I dance under those lights." - Muhammad Ali

paulf

posted on 24/11/05 at 09:51 PM Reply With Quote
This sort of small scale production does work out very expensive, I considered producing some cast individual modular throttle bodys and made some sketches etc, but on finding out the cost of casting etc it is not feasible on a small scale.
I built a manifold for my crossflow to take throttle bodys, from a piece of 10mm plate and some 38mm exhaust tube i had lying around .Cost nothing apart from a days work.
Paul
Paul
quote:
Originally posted by oliwb
Good luck doing a similar thing for bike carbs on a pinto and so far had quotes of £600 to have a rapid proto-type made! Taking a different approach now and having the pipes induction bent and welding them onto the machined back plate. Let me knoe if you find someone willing to do it cheaper though.....Oli.

blockhead_rich

posted on 24/11/05 at 11:05 PM Reply With Quote
I guess I'm lucky then, in that we have rapid prototyping facilities where I work 9may just have to pay for the mat'l (must ask the boss!) and I play footies with the owners of a foundry

So still should work out cheaper than a fabrication.

Rich

oliwb

posted on 24/11/05 at 11:10 PM Reply With Quote
lucky you...fancy doing some more of them for us???? Oli.

If your not living life on the edge you're taking up too much room!

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
blockhead_rich

posted on 24/11/05 at 11:27 PM Reply With Quote
Everything is possible. Let me know what you are after and we can go from there - but no promises I'm afraid.
Rich

bigandy

posted on 24/11/05 at 11:41 PM Reply With Quote
I would be interested in this project! It looks like it would be perfect for my 4a-ge that is going in my Sylva Mojo.

It all depends on the price though for me. I was going down the maching plate/welded tubes, as I can get that made up for not a lot at work when we have a few hours free on the NC mill, and I can use the ally welding gear....

Would it be rude of me to ask if I could get a sketch/Cad model of the manifold, so I can check the dimensions for the mounting bolt holes, and also to check it is going to fit inside the bodywork/chassis of my car?

Cheers
Andy

Dammit! Too many decisions....

Prez

posted on 25/11/05 at 08:20 AM Reply With Quote
Looks interesting, I would be curious as to what price you could get them knocked out for. I'm still debating which T/B route to go down. That manifold looks pretty tidy though!
Prez

posted on 25/11/05 at 08:27 AM Reply With Quote
Forgot to ask, how have you arrived at the length of the inlet tracks? What about getting them cast with longer tracks that can then be trimmed to suit requirements? Just my 2p worth.

Cheers

Adam

striker4age

posted on 25/11/05 at 09:21 AM Reply With Quote
I've got a TVIS 4AGE and (hopefully) a set of GSXr 600s comming from across the pond as we speek.

1. It looks like there is an upsweep on the manifold, is that the case?
2. My TB bore size is going to be smaller (38mm ID) I'm assuming your design is for 750/1000 right?
3. What spacing are you going for? considereing the availablity of fuel rails and the like I'd say going with either DCOE of origonal GSXR (especially if it alows use of the later dual barrel ones, and no requirement to re-space at least the outer two.)

At the moment I'm going down the hand cutting a manifold flange try and find a tame welder route. Anyone got any spare ali tube, ID about 38mm?

Rob Lane

posted on 25/11/05 at 10:45 AM Reply With Quote
I would suggest that the manifold is made to suit the TVIS ported head.

The later version have a completely different inlet port shape.

Most guys seem to obtain the TVIS engine.

bigandy

posted on 25/11/05 at 11:46 AM Reply With Quote
I forgot to mention that I have the TVIS version of the 4a-ge engine too....

Cheers
Andy

ChrisJLW

posted on 28/11/05 at 10:12 AM Reply With Quote
Definitely interested, there may also be some interested parties on IMOC (International MR2 Owners Club) in the Mk1 section.

The non-TVIS (smallport) 4AGE is found in early 90s Corrollas if I remember correctly.

I've lived a life that's full.
I've traveled each and ev'ry highway.
But more, much more than this,
I did it side-ah-ways.

blockhead_rich

posted on 29/11/05 at 10:05 PM Reply With Quote
Sorry for the late reply but I've been busy installing a kitchen of all things!!

The manifold is currently designed for the TVIS head and what I thought were GSXr 600 throttle boddies but I now think that this is incorrect as I have just got a second set and these have a smaller outside diameter (45mm) than the first set I have which are 54mm O/D.

Anyway, as I have not yet completed the modelling or the rapid prototype it makes no difference @ present. But I'll probably go for the smaller T/B diameter / size i.e. 45mm. The length of the inlet pipes was purposfully made long so that I could cut down my prototype until the desired fit was achieved - (easy to do, seeing as it's made from plastic).

My casting contact has tried "firing out" the prototypes raw material with no problem too. So casing one should be relatively straight forward - basically you sacrifice the prototype to made a metal part. But he may be able to make a batch for me if there is enough interest.

For my own application, I intend to retain the existing 4AGE fuel rail and injectors (I'm told the super charged injectors are the best ones to use in this application - anyone got 4 spare?). Therefore the design should be relatively easy and cheap to install. I've no idea as to costs of the inlet manifold as yet, so please give me a bit more time to progress this. Must finish the design first.

A manifold for the later type head should also be relatively straight forward as I already have a CAD model of an inlet flange.

So is there still interest then? I aim to have a prototype made by the end of next week, seeing as my CAD guy is on holiday for this week!

Rich

bigandy

posted on 29/11/05 at 10:19 PM Reply With Quote
If I can help with CAD work, give me a shout... I work as a design engineer to pay the mortgage using Solidworks...

Cheers
Andy

PS. Out of interest, what rapid prototyping facility do you have?

blockhead_rich

posted on 30/11/05 at 07:14 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the offer of CAD assistance but I think I'm OK at the mo. We have an SLS (think it stands for Selective lazer sintering) and FDM (Fused deposition modelling) prototyping machines at work for your interest.
Rich

Prez

posted on 2/12/05 at 09:40 AM Reply With Quote
I have the small port engine, so looks like you will have to count me out.

Cheers

albertz

posted on 2/12/05 at 11:00 AM Reply With Quote
I have the small port as well, but am definetly interested if the price is right. How many small ports would you need to make it financially viable?

As mentioned above maybe the Toyota dedicated clubs would be interested, might be a way to get better numbers?

rick q

posted on 5/12/05 at 02:46 AM Reply With Quote
Albertz - How are you going to set up your spark with the Megasquirt ??
albertz

posted on 5/12/05 at 01:42 PM Reply With Quote
Rick,

I cannot really answer your question at the moment, simply because i dont really know. Rayward is sorting this out for me and thinks he has come up with an alternative to using EDIS. I am sure he could tell you a lot more than that though.

Try sending him a U2U.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.