Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Is there many problems in fitting a sierra 1.8td engine and gearbox to ron champions chassis design
lee201283

posted on 24/2/03 at 07:58 AM Reply With Quote
Is there many problems in fitting a sierra 1.8td engine and gearbox to ron champions chassis design

Is there many problems in fitting a sierra 1.8td engine and gearbox to ron champions chassis design?
carnut

posted on 24/2/03 at 04:57 PM Reply With Quote
Yes there is a huge problem.

Dont fit a diesel!

philgregson

posted on 24/2/03 at 07:56 PM Reply With Quote
Ignore him!! - a turbo diesel could be a lot of fun with all that low down grunt - perfect for B-roads.

This forum, after all, is all about doing your own thing to build the car you want.

Make sure the exhaust exits at the rear though - diesel fumes aren't very good for you.

Phil.

[Edited on 24/2/03 by philgregson]

[Edited on 24/2/03 by philgregson]

chrisg

posted on 24/2/03 at 09:05 PM Reply With Quote
I know it's been done in the westfield, wieght of the engine and it's effect on the handling could be something to consider.

Cheers

Chris

Note to all: I really don't know when to leave well alone. I tried to get clever with the mods, then when they gave me a lifeline to see the error of my ways, I tried to incite more trouble via u2u. So now I'm banned, never to return again. They should have done it years ago!

carnut

posted on 24/2/03 at 10:24 PM Reply With Quote
My earlier post was unfair as I am among the extreme whose obsision is to make every thing as light as possible but a diesel would be an amazing car for cruzing but you might loose out when it comes to handling as chrisg pointed out.
Mark Allanson

posted on 24/2/03 at 10:55 PM Reply With Quote
I did consider (dodgy word these days!), using the 1.8TD before I got my 2.0i Pinto. It would be a very interseting motor. I think a very low ratio diff would make use of the torque, I should imagine that with a standard diff you could pull away from a standstill in third. You could use the sierra 3.15 diff, which would give a great first gear and at 70 you would be only using 2550 rpm with 185 65 14 tyres - probably good for 75mpg at motorway speeds.

I don't know how you would silence the exhaust though!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.