Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: 1600 Pinto size
auzziejim

posted on 9/3/03 at 12:33 AM Reply With Quote
1600 Pinto size

is the 1600 Pinto as tall as the 2000? Im guessing not but even if it is smalle will i need to modify the sump and rocker cover in any way?

cheers

James

Gizmo

posted on 9/3/03 at 01:21 AM Reply With Quote
Jim, I can tell you damded near ever dimention on a XFlow (anorack status), but over the years I seem to have drunk away the brain cells that held the pinto data. However I have a sneaky feeling the diff between the 1.6 and the 2.0 is a bore diff, not a strock one. I think they are the same height.

---john---

david walker

posted on 9/3/03 at 09:11 AM Reply With Quote
Gizmo, brain still working OK, you're right. Other than early Pintos (ie Cortina) the block heights are the same. The early ones are maybe an inch shorter.

Dave Walker, Race Engine Services - 07957 454659 or 01636 671277

geoff shep

posted on 9/3/03 at 09:54 AM Reply With Quote
Even the early Sierras had shorter stroke 1.6 pintos. Haynes quote 66 vs 76 mm. I know that when I built my Robin Hood (which were based on the early model Sierras) the discussion were all about 1.6 vs 2.0 height. Mine's a 2L and only just fits under an unmodified bonnet with no air filter. Rocker covers are available (or convertible) to have the oil filler at the back end. Either way, the sump is still low and modifying it or getting an RS alloy sump improves ground clearance considerably (I used to ground on all the speed bumps)
auzziejim

posted on 10/3/03 at 08:56 AM Reply With Quote
well thanks for the help guys the i now have a plan of attack to sort this problem Modified sump has been sourced and a polished alloy rear filling rocker cover with polished alloy filler cap will be ordered from burton power when the time comes.

cheers guys

James

sg_frost
Builder

Posts 104
Registered 6/11/02

Photo Archive Go!
Building: Haynes roaster in college with students, gulp!

posted on 17/3/03 at 01:18 AM Reply With Quote
Worth considering a cross flow rather than a pinto with 1600cc. cross flow is lighter and easier to modify. If bhp/weight is your thing
auzziejim

posted on 17/3/03 at 02:09 PM Reply With Quote
1600 crossflows are getting pretty hard to find now so will be expensive! also the donor car came with the pinto so im keeping that until a year or so after SVA then il go either 2.0l or bike engined once insurance gets a lil cheaper.

James

david walker

posted on 17/3/03 at 09:40 PM Reply With Quote
I, like most I suppose, made a number of mistakes when building my car. One of the biggest was using a X'Flow! I had started my build with the intention of fitting a bike engine, but then decided for simplicity would go with a X'Flow. I have worked on and raced X'Flows for over 20 years so loyalty to the marque won out in the end.

If they have an advantage over the Pinto it is in that they are smaller - a big plus with a locost. If you can get the Pinto in then use it and change it later. If you can't then think about a 1600CVH, every bit as nimble as a X'Flow, easier & cheaper to get hold of, lighter and easier to fuel - choice of carb, carbs, SPi or EFi.

If it's pure speed you are after then a Bike engine will win every time.

Dave Walker, Race Engine Services - 07957 454659 or 01636 671277

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.