Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: How do you bend exhaust pipes?
scutter

posted on 13/4/03 at 08:54 AM Reply With Quote
How do you bend exhaust pipes?

Tricky one this guys,

How do you bend exhaust pipes when there already made?

The lolocost manifold I've got seems to be sitting a bit high, I've moved the engine to the correct position so it fits under the bonnet.

There's about 2" clearance between the exhaust and the bay cross brace.

All help gratefully recieved. Dan.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Dave Ashurst

posted on 13/4/03 at 11:48 AM Reply With Quote
Hi Scutter
Personal opinion only:

If it was mine I wouldn't even try bending anything at the manifold end having got it as far as you have!

I'd concentrate on the pipe between the collector and the silencer with the silencer in it's final position. Maybe cut and re-weld the pipe ends and/or splice in some bends, which I'd buy ready made.

So far as I know, given certain general points of exhaust tuning efficiency (e.g. length, diameter and bend radii) then for road use the layout is largely a matter of personal preference.

Perhaps I'm not such a perfectionist as you but the set up in the photo looks really good to me!

I only wonder what's hiding behing the towel?

And did you transport the project up to Leuchars?

cheers
Dave

[Edited on 13/4/03 by Dave Ashurst]

scutter

posted on 13/4/03 at 04:50 PM Reply With Quote
Cheers Dave, the move to leuchars is in June, the towel is a mod I made to soak up all the oil leaks from the X-flow.

Most ro**n h**ds that I've seen have an exhaust like this, not suprising really with it being a lolocost manifold.

Will leave as is then and concentrate on getting it on it's wheels.

Thanks Dan.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Dave Ashurst

posted on 13/4/03 at 05:54 PM Reply With Quote
Ha Ha You think your funny saying that now, but you'll be in big trouble with your mum when you start the engine.
scutter

posted on 13/4/03 at 06:10 PM Reply With Quote
Hush, she no know it's missing

Dan.

Jon Bradbury

posted on 16/4/03 at 01:37 PM Reply With Quote
I have a R***n H**d and I've got the same problem (because I didn't want to mount the engine at too much of a slant). Any other advice on bending the pipe?
Jon Bradbury

posted on 23/4/03 at 11:09 AM Reply With Quote
Possible solution - Don't try this at home, kids...

On the RHE collector section (where the 4 pipes go into 1), the metal is a bit thinner than the pipework.

I found that, with a little brute force and at the cost of slightly crumpling the collector, I could get the tail pipe in the right position. The damage to the collector was minimal and it faces the body so won't be too visible. The exhaust is now just right.

(Usual caveats apply)

PS, mine was pointing down slightly too, and sticking out too far. Sorted now, though.

[Edited on 23/4/03 by Jon Bradbury]

scutter

posted on 23/4/03 at 03:56 PM Reply With Quote
Jon, Any chance of a pic or two just to give us an idea.

Cheers Dan.

billy

posted on 23/4/03 at 08:28 PM Reply With Quote
wots a rodin pood?????

luego-lo-cost finished,vauxhall 16v 2.0,twin 45s de-dion rear set up

Jon Bradbury

posted on 24/4/03 at 09:44 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by scutter
Jon, Any chance of a pic or two just to give us an idea.

Cheers Dan.

Yes, as soon as I get the chance. Be VERY CAREFUL doing this - I think I was lucky not to break something. The collector creases under load very suddenly (and with a nasty sounding noise) and I imagine that if you were to apply too much pressure it would really knacker it. I don't think bending it back is an option. Do bear in mind that the outlet pipe (from the collector) gets slightly distorted too - I'll post piccies to explain.

Jon Bradbury

posted on 24/4/03 at 09:48 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by billy
wots a rodin pood?????

A Robin Hood is a kit car made by Robin Hood Engineering who also supply parts for Locosts throught the "Lolocost" brand. Which kind of explains my presence on this bulletin board. (Also I am impressed by the quality of some of the answers I've read particularly to engineering problems you Locost builders are encountering.)

Jon Bradbury

posted on 24/4/03 at 07:01 PM Reply With Quote
Picture of stretched pipe at collector join

This might happen because the pipes are a bit soft - not to worry because you'll be covering it with an SVA compliant exhaust clamp.

[Edited on 24/4/03 by Jon Bradbury] Rescued attachment Cnv0007.jpg
Rescued attachment Cnv0007.jpg

Jon Bradbury

posted on 24/4/03 at 07:04 PM Reply With Quote
Picture of slightly crumpled collector section

..actually not as bad as it looks because it faces the bodywork and in any case because its all shiny its hard to make out. Rescued attachment Cnv0008.jpg
Rescued attachment Cnv0008.jpg

scutter

posted on 24/4/03 at 07:33 PM Reply With Quote
Jon, Many thanks for that.

I think we locosters are resourceful because we have to be, I mean no one else is going to do it for us.

Thanks once again Dan.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.