Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Can anyone confirm this?
trogdor

posted on 13/6/06 at 04:38 PM Reply With Quote
Can anyone confirm this?

hi, i am sure i have read somewhere in an article from PPC or Retro Cars that the clutch plate centre can be modified to accept different input shafts to fit the clutch plate, ie a different number of splines....

is this true? can i get a clutch plate modified in this way? it will make my life abit easier!

Agriv8

posted on 13/6/06 at 04:49 PM Reply With Quote
Yup seem to remeber reading that PPC on one of there gearbox / bellhousing features.

Was going to go down this route but luckilly my BMW friction plate was the same diamiter as my Rover presure plate ( 280 mm) so could combine the 2.

What engine gerbox combo are you going for ?

Regards

Agriv8

Taller than your average Guy !
Management is like a tree of monkeys. - Those at the top look down and see a tree full of smiling faces. BUT Those at the bottom look up and see a tree full of a*seholes .............

trogdor

posted on 13/6/06 at 04:54 PM Reply With Quote
its an saab 96 gearbox, to an zetec, the flywheels appear to be identical so can use it with the saab's starter motor and the gearbox will bolt straight up. the main prob is that the clutch plate will not fit on to the saabs input shaft so if will require re centring. i can't use the saabs clutch plate or cover because its mounted differently to the flywheel.

the other issuse i have is if the release bearing on the saab will work with the clutch. i think it will, but will find out when i try and make it work! the splines of an 1800 zetec clutch cover, do they need an flat faced bearing or a curved face bearing?

owelly

posted on 13/6/06 at 07:35 PM Reply With Quote
If the fingers on the Zetec clutch cover are straight, you need a curved CRB but I seem to recall the ends of the fingers have curves on them so you need a flat faced CRB!
As a word of warning, there are a few websites with the dimentions and spline sizes etc, but they are invariably wrong!! I have a pile of new friction plates to prove it!!
I 'phoned National Clutches and spoke to a technical guy who cross referenced my measurements and spline details and got me the friction plate. They are about the only company who will sell the induvidual parts of a clutch kit but you do have to buy them through an approved stockist!
HTH

http://www.ppcmag.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
trogdor

posted on 13/6/06 at 08:10 PM Reply With Quote
yeah thats what i thought, the CRB in the saab is flat faced so hopefully the splines are curved at the ends. am not sure if i could source a curved face bearing!

owelly

posted on 13/6/06 at 09:48 PM Reply With Quote
I just turned the Ford one around the wrong way. The back is curved. Dunno how long it will last though!

http://www.ppcmag.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
trogdor

posted on 14/6/06 at 11:03 AM Reply With Quote
that won't work on mine, it has no other side so to speak, i have a pic here that shows what i mean. Rescued attachment 40-137.jpg
Rescued attachment 40-137.jpg

Agriv8

posted on 14/6/06 at 09:47 PM Reply With Quote
trogdor.

what about using the saab concentric item ( lots of people done the conversion to run this with the type 9 )

I am on the AP racing version of this a direct copy of the saab one but a larger center hole for input shaft and larger cost.

regards

agriv8

Management is like a tree of monkeys. - Those at the top look down and see a tree full of smiling faces. BUT Those at the bottom look up and see a tree full of a*seholes .............

trogdor

posted on 15/6/06 at 09:47 AM Reply With Quote
if needs be i will but that will require abit of modification of the actuation of the clutch, the saab 96 has an slave cylinder that pushes a spring loaded mechinism that moves the release bearing forward, wish i had taken pics when the engine was out! it seems to be an unusual method of operation.

how does the saab bearing u describe work? is it just a line connected to the master cylinder? ie does it have an intergral slave cylinder?

Agriv8

posted on 15/6/06 at 07:03 PM Reply With Quote
the saab one I am thinking of is ths one.

1 inlet from master cylander 1 outlet to bleed valve

the bearing sits on the flange at the front not shown on photo

a couple of companies do a kit to mount to the type 9 gearbox

regards

Agriv8

trogdor

posted on 17/6/06 at 10:19 AM Reply With Quote
that looks great and would work really well, i have been researching how its fitted to a type 9. u need to get a spacer made up and bolt it to the front of the gear box over the input shaft?

i am not sure but i don't think i can do that, wish i was at home so i could have a look at my spare gearbox to see if this is possible!

trogdor

posted on 17/6/06 at 01:32 PM Reply With Quote
this is best pic i have found of the front of the saab 96 gearbox, can anyone tell me if it can be modded to fit the saab concentric slave and bearing? if so how difficult does it look to be? i realise that this a lot to ask from just a pic, but anyones opinon would be great! Rescued attachment sump2.jpg
Rescued attachment sump2.jpg

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.