Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: 4age plumbing
dmottaway

posted on 5/7/06 at 03:21 PM Reply With Quote
4age plumbing

I am going to use 16v 4age with gsxr throttle bodies.

I would like to know just how much of the engine's plumbing I can eliminate. there is a water port at the back of the head, and connections at the water pump. then, of course, the radiator.

to minimize the plumbing, what needs to be connected?

can anybody help?

dave

[Edited on 5/7/06 by dmottaway]

Somewhere, in Texas, a village is missing its idiot.

blockhead_rich

posted on 5/7/06 at 06:27 PM Reply With Quote
Dave

When I get my car back from the rolling road tomorrow I can take some photo's of my installation as I've got exactly this set up in my Velocity. Plumbing is straight forward. I'd recommend that you only use the T/B's for the butterflies and retain the std 4age injectors and fuel rail.

So should be able to post some pic's at the weekend as I've got my SVA on Friday and Thursday is going to be a long night finishing off a few things!

Rich

bimbleuk

posted on 5/7/06 at 06:47 PM Reply With Quote
Don't suppose you thought of installing a 20V 4age which comes with standard individual throttle bodies? The plumbing on the 20V engines is also neater than the 16V. One reason why I replaced my 16V plus the nice BHP increase as well.

Though seeming as you posted on the Locost forum I expect you like the challenge of a DIY install

bimbleuk

posted on 5/7/06 at 06:55 PM Reply With Quote
Heres a pic to show what I mean as all the plumbing comes out of the back of the head. One pipe above the exh. manifold (rad in) and one pipe below the exh. manifold (rad return). The ECU temp sender, temp gauge sender, thermostat and exapansion tank pipe all connect to a single alloy block.

Original engine bay layout - side
Original engine bay layout - side

[Edited on 5/7/06 by bimbleuk]

timmy

posted on 6/7/06 at 12:25 AM Reply With Quote
It is also possible to mod the cooling system so the plumbing is at the front of the engine as per the RWD 4AG's. It takes a bit of work and it means replacing the std waterpump with a RWD one. But there have been questions about reliability - there is the potential for hot-spots at the back of the head.

bimble -
Very nice installation - are you running MAP sensed EFI on that?

Cheers,

Tim

dmottaway

posted on 6/7/06 at 02:33 AM Reply With Quote
pictures would be great!!

I am using the 16v because the 20v was not offered here. they are available, used, from Japan, but I felt parts availability was a turn-off.

that, plus I bought the 16v in a sweet deal. seems our government requires the manufacturer to make sparts available for ten years after sales cease. ten years after GM stopped selling the Geo Prizm Gsi (rebadged Corolla GTS), they declared all remaining parts as surplus and disposed of them. I bought a dozen crate motors for less than the cost of one new one from Toyota. Sold most of them to fund the Locost. after everything is said and done, I should still be money ahead when (if) the Locost gets done.

dave

[Edited on 6/7/06 by dmottaway]

Somewhere, in Texas, a village is missing its idiot.

bimbleuk

posted on 6/7/06 at 08:07 AM Reply With Quote
Tim,

No Map or AFM as I'm using an OMEX programmable ECU. Just using a crank pulley sensor, air temp, water temp and throttle position for mapping. I could have used the idle control on the TB but as its mostly for track use I left it all off.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.