Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: How much exhaust wrap?
flak monkey

posted on 20/10/06 at 07:04 AM Reply With Quote
How much exhaust wrap?

Anyone know how much 2" wide exhaust wrap i will need for my Mk exhaust manifold? 50ft enough, or should I get 100ft...?

Cheers,
David

Sera

http://www.motosera.com

TimC

posted on 20/10/06 at 07:33 AM Reply With Quote
David

Can't answer for sure - usually use more than you think. If it's borderline, get the longer length.

What I would say though, is consider the black stuff - if you ask me, it looks loads better.

TC

nick205

posted on 20/10/06 at 07:57 AM Reply With Quote
David,

I used 50ft of 2" wide wrap on my MK Pinto maifold. It got me from the head to where the pipes exit the bonnet cutout.

Couple of tips....
1. Dampen the wrap before applying it to reduce the amount of fibres that get airborne.
2. Wear rubber gloves as a minimum, but I wore a mask too.
3. In my experience, the stainless cable ties most people supply are somewhat less than effective. I've secured mine at both ends with large dia Jubilee type stainless hose clips - this also allows to you move and alter the wrap without having to use new clips each time.
4. Be prepared for it to smoke and stink when you first run the engine - it can be a little disconcerting if you're not expecting it

HTH
Nick

nick205

posted on 20/10/06 at 09:16 AM Reply With Quote
et voila.. Rescued attachment latest-4jpg.jpg
Rescued attachment latest-4jpg.jpg

flak monkey

posted on 20/10/06 at 09:37 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks gents, just ordered 100ft of black 2" wrap. Think I would want mine wrapped a bit further down than that.

Cheers,
David

Sera

http://www.motosera.com

Bob C

posted on 20/10/06 at 09:39 AM Reply With Quote
Crikey people use a lot.... I found 50ft got me comfortably to the end of the 4 part of the 4-2-1 exhaust. I overlapped 1/2 tape width so there's a double layer everywhere.
The stainless tiewraps from rallydesign are welded at the clip end & tend to snap off - if this happens you can easily pass the broken end through the slot & fold it back - probably stronger than the weld & just as neat.
The stuff's not asbestos & comes without dire warnings so I didn't worry about protective gear when wrapping. It does smoke like billyo when you first fire up the engine though!
Bob

DIY Si

posted on 20/10/06 at 10:11 AM Reply With Quote
I used the stainless ties I got with mine, but they are the kind that has a big roll of the ties and a bag of clips. I used nearly 100ft on a mini manifold, with a double layer everywhere.

“Let your plans be dark and as impenetratable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt.”
Sun Tzu, The Art of War

My new blog: http://spritecave.blogspot.co.uk/

bigandy

posted on 20/10/06 at 01:37 PM Reply With Quote
For the uneducated amongst us, what is the purpose of wrapping the exhaust?

Is it just to keep the underbonnet temperatures down? Or is it to keep the exhaust gas temperatures up? Are there any special considerations for making the exhaust (eg materials) if it is to be wrapped?

Just wondering, as I wondering about the exhaust on my car, as it will be routed fairly close (within an inch or two!) of the rear bullkhead, and come within a few inches of fibreglass in places...

Cheers
Andy

Dammit! Too many decisions....

02GF74

posted on 20/10/06 at 01:44 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bigandy
For the uneducated amongst us, what is the purpose of wrapping the exhaust?

Is it just to keep the underbonnet temperatures down? Or is it to keep the exhaust gas temperatures up? Are there any special considerations for making the exhaust (eg materials) if it is to be wrapped?

both

and you should not use them to wrap cast iron manifolds.

I'd recommend before wrapping you drive about without it on and if it is a problem, then wrap it.

If the exaust comes close to fibreglss bodywork, then you may need it or some other heatshield or just a bigger hole!

marcjagman

posted on 20/10/06 at 06:59 PM Reply With Quote
The wrap keeps the under bonnet temp down and also keeps the exhaust gases hot, causing it to move down the exhaust faster. Brilliant for turbo'ed cars.
David Jenkins

posted on 20/10/06 at 07:15 PM Reply With Quote
I started off with wrap, mainly to lower the temp in the engine compartment.

After a while I had a problem when I stopped the engine, getting a loud pop (or even a bang) shortly after. I took the wrap off for some other reason - and the pop stopped!

I still don't know why...

David

DIY Si

posted on 20/10/06 at 07:39 PM Reply With Quote
I do though. It's because the exhaust gets hot enough to ignite the unburnt/excess fuel when you switch it off. The pop should be accompanied by a blue flame out the back/side too.

“Let your plans be dark and as impenetratable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt.”
Sun Tzu, The Art of War

Simon

posted on 20/10/06 at 07:42 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by 02GF74

......and you should not use them to wrap cast iron manifolds.

Why? I've been using it for about 10 months, though cast manifolds are now off, and being replaced with some shiny fab'd ss items

ATB

Simon

DIY Si

posted on 20/10/06 at 07:58 PM Reply With Quote
I can only assume it's because they may get too hot and crack?

Sun Tzu, The Art of War

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.