Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: ZZR1100 bike carbs Q's - now with finished pics
DarrenW

posted on 3/7/07 at 09:03 AM Reply With Quote
ZZR1100 bike carbs Q's - now with finished pics

Just got a couple of Q's ref prepping my carbs for the switch over.

Ive got the chance of some ZX9R carbs, very tempted but only cos they have built in TPS. Spacing is slightly different to my manifold and of course they will cost, so -

Before i go for these, im wondering if i can retro fit a TPS to the ZZR1100's. At the end of the throttle spindle there is a metal cap. After removing the cap i can see end of throttle shaft. Has anyone ever retro fitted a tps by drilling and tapping the end of the shaft to fit a stud, then screwing on an extension piece?

Rubber pipes - there are fuel feed and what appear to be coolant/heater pipes. Can the coolant pipes be removed to tidy them up? Would any holes in the castings need to be blocked off?

Why have i not heard of many people using ZZR1100 carbs? Is there a reason or is it just because R1's etc were easier to get hold of once? Id hate to forge ahead cleaning them up and jetting etc if there is a specific reason.

Air holes - i hear people fitting other types of carbs have to block off certain holes. Does anyone know if the ZZR's need something similar?

Thanks in advance,
Darren.

[Edited on 3/7/07 by DarrenW]

[Edited on 12/7/07 by DarrenW]

[Edited on 13/7/07 by DarrenW]

russbost

posted on 3/7/07 at 09:52 AM Reply With Quote
The coolant pipes are a heater for the carbs to cure a flat spot which was inherent in ZX10 & ZZR1100, I would imagine removing them would cause poorer atomisation or encourage icing?

I no longer run Furore Products or Furore Cars Ltd, but would still highly recommend them for Acewell dashes, projector headlights, dominator headlights, indicators, mirrors etc, best prices in the UK! Take a look at http://www.furoreproducts.co.uk/ or find more parts on Ebay, user names furoreltd & furoreproducts, discounts available for LCB users.
Don't forget Stainless Steel Braided brake hoses, made to your exact requirements in any of around 16 colours. http://shop.ebay.co.uk/furoreproducts/m.html?_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc=1

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
DarrenW

posted on 3/7/07 at 02:32 PM Reply With Quote
i was hoping that using the carbs in a car under a bonnet that coldness wouldnt be so much of an issue. I take your point though.

Here is pic of manifold. Its taken a few hours of fettling but not far off now. Rescued attachment 03072007100.jpg
Rescued attachment 03072007100.jpg

DarrenW

posted on 3/7/07 at 02:34 PM Reply With Quote
Close up of a pair of carbs. Look bewteen the 2 carb tops then down a bit. A black connector can just be seen - what is this for? Do i blank this off?

Any other holes you see that need blanking off? Rescued attachment 03072007102.jpg
Rescued attachment 03072007102.jpg

DarrenW

posted on 3/7/07 at 02:35 PM Reply With Quote
Here is back of carbs. Heater pipes can be seen at the bottom. My thinking is it would look tidier if the pipes are redundant and can be removed. Rescued attachment 03072007103.jpg
Rescued attachment 03072007103.jpg

DarrenW

posted on 3/7/07 at 02:36 PM Reply With Quote
Here is other side. Another view of the offending pipes.

I know which are the fuel pipes so i think ill leave them connected

DarrenW

posted on 3/7/07 at 02:37 PM Reply With Quote
Rescued attachment 03072007104.jpg
Rescued attachment 03072007104.jpg

DarrenW

posted on 3/7/07 at 02:41 PM Reply With Quote
On this one you can see the end of the throttle shaft. Metal cap has been removed. It is this flush end that i was thinking of drilling and tapping, fitting stud and extension. My TPS is just a pot so has a plastic shaft which can easily be connected with tube between (obviously a bracket will be needed for the TPS itself). Rescued attachment 03072007105.jpg
Rescued attachment 03072007105.jpg

Wadders

posted on 3/7/07 at 03:29 PM Reply With Quote
I wouldn't worry about the water to the carbs, ZX9 carbs are the same, i think a couple of riders died allegedly because of carb icing so they added the circuit, mine have been fine without it, unless your planning to drive in the depths of winter i don't think it will be an issue.

Al.

Marlon

posted on 3/7/07 at 04:23 PM Reply With Quote
The pipe in pic 2, I believe just goes to atmosphere or it does on my zx9 carbs.

hth.
john.

Band Anyone?

Linky to SWMBO 's band
Linky to Brother in laws band
MKoc 1081

Uphill Racer

posted on 5/7/07 at 10:18 PM Reply With Quote
Yes tps easy to fit. I used the ZZR1100 spindles and butterflies in my home made throttle bodies. The photos show the number 1 spindle ( the one under the cap).
http://s72.photobucket.com/albums/i187/uphill-racer/?action=view&current=Dadaptor.jpg

http://s72.photobucket.com/albums/i187/uphill-racer/?action=view&current=Dadaptor-1.jpg

DarrenW

posted on 6/7/07 at 10:58 AM Reply With Quote
As always the level of response is great.

Richard Quinn has just recieved some ZZR1100's from Boggs. It appears the heater pipes and connectors have all been removed which is encouraging.

Also the advice reg TPS is superb - confirms just what i was thinking. My TPS is a little different (matt Kimins supplied MJLJ) but the theory is sound. What size did you drill and tap? Looks like M4 or 5 by the pics. maybe 4 threads deep.

Thanks again. Im just need to investigate if any holes need blocking off now in the carbs. This is where my bike carb knowledge is really tested to the limit

Thanks again for the responses and any other advice greatly appreciated,
Darren.

Uphill Racer

posted on 6/7/07 at 11:06 PM Reply With Quote
Centre drilled then drilled and tapped in the lathe, probably 5mm. Stud lock used on threads.
DarrenW

posted on 10/7/07 at 02:24 PM Reply With Quote
Looks like im finally getting somewhere. Carbs now cleaned out - slides are very smooth now.
Air filter fitting has proved to be a tad tricky but i think that is sussed now.

Soon ill be able to mount carbs to manifold and fit air filter. Need to suss out cables next and source bike fuel pump. I have heard of people using the std mechanical pinto pump to good effect but then others say dont do it! I cant find and tangible reasons though unfortunately.

What i do need at some point is some new carb top screws. A couple of mine were chewed up. Are they easy to get hold of? They have a shoulder - i was going to replace with std stanless ones but not sure. Ill use my stainless ones to replace some missing carb bowl screws (float cover).

I still cant find any advice on initial settings to get my std ish pinto running. Drilling out the jets to 170 and fitting needles at mid point (i have a couple of washers missing!) seems to be rule of thumb on most carbs but there doesnt seem to be a lot of people who have fitted this particular type. Unfortunately Richards are going onto a XE so i guess his starting point wont help me.
Has anyone found they needed a dynojet kit to get bike carbs running well?

Cheers,
Darren.

thesnake505

posted on 10/7/07 at 03:48 PM Reply With Quote
im not sure what the problem is with running standard pinto pump, but u will need a presure regulator as the carbs only want 2psi while the pump puts out 4-5 psi (sorces haynes comic) i have no problem with the regulator, also were i had my carb set up from (knn manifolds) adviced to run a presure regulator with standard pump! hope this helps snake
DarrenW

posted on 10/7/07 at 04:11 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for that - something tangible that i can understand. I have a reg in my box of bits so might try that first.

Uphill Racer

posted on 10/7/07 at 07:15 PM Reply With Quote
the standard carb (restricted) is good enough for 125 bhp
DarrenW

posted on 10/7/07 at 09:26 PM Reply With Quote
Do you mean the std zzr1100? I think mine have the uprated carb tops.

125BHP - sounds a lot less than i was expecting. I thought the bike would have more than that. Where does that figure come from.

Uphill Racer

posted on 10/7/07 at 09:38 PM Reply With Quote
de restricted standard 1100 official figures 147bhp @ 10500 rpm if my memory is still working, do the slides completely dissapear from view or still protrude when held up?
bigrich

posted on 10/7/07 at 09:40 PM Reply With Quote
darren the zzr in restricted form put out about 120 rear wheel horsepower this went up to about 135 when deristricted or 147 bhp at the crank just make sure your slides go all the way to the top and dont stop about 10mm short.
Even now it still rates as one of the quickest bikes ive ridden a supersonic armchair

Rich

A pint for the gent and a white wine/fruit based drink for the lady. Those are the rules

Uphill Racer

posted on 10/7/07 at 09:52 PM Reply With Quote
its a bullit proof motor (bloody heavy 1) that can easily produce 350bhp (turbo) with very little work on motor. With loads of money 500bhp
bigrich

posted on 10/7/07 at 10:04 PM Reply With Quote
seem to remember?
Mike Granger used one to break some land speed records in the early nineties and his 70 year old dad did a bit too Berg Spider was his alter ego name i think

God the poo thats in my brain amazes me sometimes

A pint for the gent and a white wine/fruit based drink for the lady. Those are the rules

DarrenW

posted on 11/7/07 at 07:55 AM Reply With Quote
Yes - the slides on my carbs do completely disappear so must be the de-restricted type. Im pleased about that - thanks for the confirmation. Im sure after some jiggery pokery with the jets etc and with the huuuuge K&N im feeding them with they will be perfect for my Pinto.

I had a good night in the workshop last night again. Got the end of throttle shaft drilled and tapped for the TPS connection. Air filter back plate all sealed up. Today im going to get some jubilee clips for my hose and ill try and get a pic of it all connected together.

DarrenW

posted on 12/7/07 at 01:04 PM Reply With Quote
Here are some more pics

View from top with manifold and filter. Rescued attachment 12072007135.jpg
Rescued attachment 12072007135.jpg

DarrenW

posted on 12/7/07 at 01:04 PM Reply With Quote
and another.

Do you think the air filter will be big enough?

Im surprised what the whole lot weighs. Do they need any supporting brackets when on the car? No wonder some people find the joining rubbers pop off occasionally!

[Edited on 12/7/07 by DarrenW] Rescued attachment 12072007136.jpg
Rescued attachment 12072007136.jpg

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.